Catsailor.com

~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~

Posted By: popeyez7

~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/15/10 09:08 AM

Australian teen completes round-the-world sail
A 16-year-old Australian who spent seven months at sea in her pink yacht sailed across the finish line of her round-the-world journey Saturday, becoming the youngest sailor to circle the globe solo, nonstop and unassisted.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37161350/ns/sports/from/ET

I haveta give anyone alotta credit to do this,,, especialy at this age.... ^5 ~~~
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/15/10 11:24 AM

The narrow-minded people running the speedsailingcouncil refuse to ratify her record though, saying she didnt sail enough miles (1000nm short).
Posted By: Stewart

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/15/10 01:47 PM

one needs to complete the course to finish the race.
Her team was warned, apparently, the course proposed wasn't eligible. Her management made the decision not to sail a full course but a shorter trip.
They were also warned again towards the end of her sailing and could have rectified but again decided not to act.

So she did a semi round the world. Quite simple really
Posted By: JeffS

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 12:17 AM

Jessica didn't care because the rules set by a sailing magazine say no one under 18 can set the record so she told them to get stuffed and did her own thing, which is pretty amazing. Theres probably a good lesson in that regarding multi hulls and the Olympics.
Posted By: Phile

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 01:09 AM

The pox on those that are deriding Jessica's achievement by inferring that she did not comply with an arbitarily set course. She passed all the major capes and crossed the equator; that's a circumnavigation in my book. She has set an example to all young people, and women in particular, in that you can achieve anything if you set your mind to it. And she had the guts to contradict our Prime Minister in her welcome home speech.

Well done Jesse....

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 06:33 AM

Phile its not arbitrary

Earth's Circumference at the Equator: 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 km)

Earth's Circumference Between the North and South Poles: 24,859.82 miles (40,008 km)

its not arbitrary
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 09:54 AM

According to the rules set by World Speed Sailing Record Council:
"To sail around the World, a vessel must start from and return to the same point, must cross all meridians of longitude and must cross the Equator. It may cross some but not all meridians more than once."

Her trip ticks all of those boxes so I dont see why they just wont give her the record.
Posted By: pepin

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
According to the rules set by World Speed Sailing Record Council:"[...]"
Her trip ticks all of those boxes so I dont see why they just wont give her the record.
I don't know if you've done it on purpose, but selecting *one* sentence out of the rules and using it to prove a point disproven by the rest of the paragraph this sentence is in is, I'm sorry to say, dishonest. You can't select the part of the rule you will abide to and reject the rest. Simply providing the complete rule is refutation enough of your claim:

a. RTW - Round the World, eastbound and westbound 21600NM. 2 separate records.

To sail around the World, a vessel must start from and return to the same point, must cross all meridians of longitude and must cross the Equator. It may cross some but not all meridians more than once (i.e. two roundings of Antarctica do not count). The shortest orthodromic track of the vessel must be at least 21,600 nautical miles in length calculated based on a 'perfect sphere'. In calculating this distance, it is to be assumed that the vessel will sail around Antarctica in latitude 63 degrees south.
A vessel starting from any point where the direct orthodromic distance is too short shall pass one single island or other fixed point on a required side so as to lengthen his orthodromic track to the minimum distance.
No starting point will be permitted more south than 45 ° south.
1 degree of longitude at 63 degrees south will be taken as 27.24NM

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 11:10 AM

all boxes except distance..

I sail the course "almost" miss a few marks but get close-ish do I still win the title?
Posted By: HJS

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 12:05 PM

If you listen to Jessica, she really does not care about any record.

She had a dream... she full filled her dream... Can't we just leave it at that????
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/16/10 01:26 PM

Actually I agree with hjs... surprise, surprise...

She didn't so it for the record keepers... she did it 'cos it was her goal... if people. want to knock it I think it it is a lack of self accomplishment.

Ok she didn't set a record but is that any less insperational.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/17/10 09:03 AM

Does the Jules Verne or the Race follow the WSSRC recognised course........ Answer is no. Nuff Said.

Well done Jess
Posted By: JeffS

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/17/10 10:53 AM

It's all settled now, on the 7pm project tonight she had an arm wrestle with Jesse Martin the last 17yo to set the record before under 18yo was banned and she won so he's letting her have the record. If you can watch a copy of the interview you'll see two down to earth young Aussie sailers. They were asked the question about the distance and they both said no matter what she did they wouldn't recognise the record.
Posted By: grob

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/17/10 11:00 AM

She has sailed well over 21,600Nm. Her logged miles are around 23,000Nm but they are not orthodromic miles i.e miles that do not include tacking, etc. I can't understand how you can calculate the orthodromic miles on a course like this. Can anyone enlighten me?

Despite the nitpicking its an amazing achievement. Well done.

Gareth
Posted By: grob

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/17/10 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JeffS
It's all settled now, on the 7pm project tonight she had an arm wrestle with Jesse Martin the last 17yo to set the record before under 18yo was banned and she won so he's letting her have the record.

Brilliant grin
Posted By: pepin

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/17/10 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE
Does the Jules Verne or the Race follow the WSSRC recognised course........ Answer is no.
Hu? Did you check your math first? The Jules Verne start in the northern hemisphere, sufficiently north to have the required number of miles.

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/18/10 05:52 AM

who is knocking her on this forum?
7 months at sea alone is a serious accomplishment..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/18/10 04:55 PM

cool accomplishment, if i had kids, they wouldn't be allowed to do it (sail in a pink boat that is) smile

Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/18/10 05:30 PM

from Jessica's blog
Saturday, April 24, 2010

"Despite the fact that today started with a knockdown, a wet bunk, a headache and some pretty huge seas, I've had a great day."

If you read through some of her blogs on http://www.jessicawatson.com.au
you can tell we are not talking about any 16 year old that know of. She's incredibly mature and knowable.

I don't think she'll let any of her critics bother her. You go Girl!!
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/18/10 08:22 PM

Things have been very slow at work today, so I've spent some time reading through Jessica's Blogs http://www.jessicawatson.com.au
I find it fascinating what is going through a 16 year old's mind through this whole journey... I have a 10 and 14 year old daughters.. I can't imagine them taking something like this on at 16... or possibly ever.
Posted By: Phile

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/18/10 11:47 PM

Apparently her book is due out in July, then a documentary, maybe a movie, sponsorship in the millions.... But she is obviously an intelligent, level-headed girl and I don't think fame or money will spoil her.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: ~~Australian teen completes round the world sail~~ - 05/20/10 07:49 PM

as an over-protective parental type, I like the concept of no world records for folks under 18. Not that they can't circumnavigate, but they'd do it for their own reasons, not notariety...?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums