Catsailor.com

tilt trailer plans

Posted By: mikekrantz

tilt trailer plans - 05/25/10 08:26 PM

Anyone have a link or resource to tilt trailer plans?

I've found two versions on youtube, Dobb's tilt, and another on thebeachcats.com.

None of them give enough detail to work from. I would think that of all the tornados out there, someone would have a bullet proof version. Or better yet, know of one for sale...
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/25/10 08:46 PM

check out Darren Bundock's old Tornado web site. They had a very simple rig for use at home and published plans on their site.

A super delux set of plans for a Tornado Flip trailer that grabs the boat by the cross beams and flips it over are available from Greg Scace or Kevin Cook.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/25/10 09:22 PM

Mike,
I could build you a BADASS one. Dobb's trailer was pretty nice. I know it pretty well. Just depends on how much you want to spend. It really wont need to be that expensive. I could even start with an existing beach cat trailer and make it fit with a tilting frame.

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/25/10 09:40 PM

Hmm... you really want to use a powerboat trailer... the wheel base is too narrow on a cat trailer... it will flip over in a cross wind. Scace built his for a 60 mph cross wind... tramp on.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/25/10 11:32 PM

Hey Mark,
PM Mike, Greg's number. I told him the other day that was probably the baddest tilt trailer there was. The ballast would be a pain, but there probably is no real way around that and be able to leave the tramp on.

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/26/10 05:39 AM

Who said anything about a power boat trailer chief?

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/26/10 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Who said anything about a power boat trailer chief?

I did...
A beach cat trailer has the axle and wheels set to be inside an 8 foot cat beam.... not so good for 10 foot or whatever wide boat. A beach cat trailer is not a starting point for a tilt cat trailer that will remain right side up.

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/26/10 02:36 PM

Wider axles are available.
Posted By: Tornado

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/28/10 06:45 PM

My tilt trailer uses a max width torsion beam axle...these can be bought for less than $200 shipped and retrofit to any standard trailer width...that means you can mod any existing trailer to be a stable tilt trailer. This saves money and effort.

FullTiltTrailer Site

[Linked Image]

My Tilt system uses pivoting cradles on one hull and a single lifting post with a hand winch on the other hull to lift at the mainbeam/hull point. Lifting is a trival matter, taking less than 40 secs once the all is in place. No electric power/hydraulics needs.

I built my trailer competely out of alu with no welds (which de-tempers alloy). Done ~20k miles on it in both tilted and fully disassembled modes. Had it tilted in 20 kt winds with tramp on with no issues.

I have detailed plans available for purchase...pm me if interested.
Posted By: Tanner mair

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/24/12 03:15 AM

Hey Mike. I am interested in some building plans for a tornado 20 tilt trailer. Do you still have some for sale??
Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/24/12 03:34 AM

I don't agree with that..I modified a standard cat trailer and it works fine. I wouldn't trailer in a 60knot wind anyway...or maybe just take the tramp off..

Attached picture tilt-trailer.jpg
Posted By: Will_R

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/24/12 05:51 AM

I've spent a LOT of time towing trailers. Started two days after I got my license with dad teaching me on a trailer with a set of 35' long stainless handrails.

Most my tow time now is with a gooseneck horse trailer and we see plenty of accidents on the side of the road. Most of them are related to an under planned setup; usually too little truck or trailer.

Go with the larger frame.

I do know where a tilt trailer is for sale though.
Posted By: jaybird1111

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/24/12 11:39 AM

Go here:

http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=11313

and see the Tilley tilting trailer. 1. Takes an ordinary cat trailer. 2. Cut the axle and insert piece for max width. 3. Build frame which bolts on. 4. Go wherever. Been using this for 10 or so years now. If it's blowing over 20 or so crosswind, Tami strips the trampoline but even then all the thing does is fishtail some, which is hard on the tires but not really that bad.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/24/12 11:54 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tilt arms slightly shortened for an F18

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/Tornado_ALIVE/trailer_11__0004.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/Tornado_ALIVE/trailer_11__0004.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/Tornado_ALIVE/trailer_5__0001.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/24/12 11:55 AM

If you want higher res, pm me your email and I will send you.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: tilt trailer plans - 05/27/12 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Mike,
I could build you a BADASS one. Dobb's trailer was pretty nice. I know it pretty well. Just depends on how much you want to spend. It really wont need to be that expensive. I could even start with an existing beach cat trailer and make it fit with a tilting frame.

Build it first then sell it... Maybe Mike could distribute them for you.
Posted By: Ghost

Re: tilt trailer plans - 10/20/16 03:28 PM

This is an old thread, but are the plans for the Tornado Flip trailer that grabs the boat by the cross beams and flips it over are still available? They were supposed to be available from either a Greg Scace or Kevin Cook. I understand there is a complete, detailed, set of CAD drawings for it. Any information would be appreciated, thanks!
Posted By: Will_R

Re: tilt trailer plans - 10/20/16 08:40 PM

Funny, I was looking at the Yahoo Tornado site yesterday looking for them as well.
Posted By: Mac McCallum

Re: tilt trailer plans - 10/22/16 11:19 AM

I have the plans you're talking about I believe. Wanted to make a tilt trailer for my SC20, but didn't do it. Tracked them down from David Tilley. If you want me to forward you the email with them pm me your email address or post it on here.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums