Catsailor.com

Surfside Beach Regatta

Posted By: Gringo

Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/08/10 05:22 PM

Hi - Does any one know where i can get info on this? EMSA-Sailing.org says the date is tentative and google is not helping.

Any details on registration, etc... would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MK
Posted By: Jake

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/08/10 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo
Hi - Does any one know where i can get info on this? EMSA-Sailing.org says the date is tentative and google is not helping.

Any details on registration, etc... would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MK

Gringo,

The regatta just became official in the last couple of weeks. It is happening Aug. 14-15 and I've attached an NOR / registration form here. This is an open regatta (all makes/brands of catamarans). It's also one of our last surviving true beach regattas in the Carolinas! (and is a great one to boot - it is well supported by the Myrtle Beach municipality).

I'll get the EMSA site update in the next couple of days (thanks for asking!!!!).

Jake

Attached File
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/09/10 05:51 AM

Any other 20's planning on coming to this? Tad..?

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/09/10 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BLR_0719

I'm debating A-cat vs. 20 but leaning heavily toward 20.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/09/10 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BLR_0719

Tad is currently boxing up his belonging, and will likely be residing in the state of Florida by the time this regatta happens. Right now I'm making no plans to attend ANY regattas until the "real life" situation settles.

I know Trey loved this regatta last year and will probably do it this year as well.
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/09/10 08:21 PM

Trey is going to Racine.

Sam?

I want to go but it's a little far to travel to race open
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/10/10 08:47 PM

I'm in Peru with the weekend this regatta is taking place (and the week prior), so unfortunately cannot make it to this or Racine. Kirk may be available as is the boat.

It is a fantastic event and I highly recommend attending if you can fit it in your schedule!
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/12/10 04:44 PM

believe or not, Im available to crew. But only on the fastest boat, and I will send in a list of things I need in my green room....
Todd, Shut up!

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/12/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by dave mosley
believe or not, Im available to crew. But only on the fastest boat, and I will send in a list of things I need in my green room....
Todd, Shut up!

Damn spanky....you're just barely too late for a ride on the General.

Is Tawd coming?
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/12/10 08:50 PM

dont know if he's coming, just figuring he would chime in...
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/12/10 10:28 PM

Tawd was up on the Chesapeak Bay racing on TripleThreat last weekend, replacing Glenn, Mark and I who were over at RHYC on various race committees (there were four) for the CBYRA's Junior Olympics !!!! Now there were no TV about Fell's point burning to the ground on Saturday night .... but I do expect to hear some stories about some serious alcohol consumption. Me think many bottles of beer and rum were consumed on Saturday after the race knowing the members of the crew

Harry
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/13/10 08:30 PM

Is there any organized accommodations? Last year, we were scattered all over the place. It would be nice to find a central place for us to stay. Loyd is thinking about bringing the RV, so we may be in a campground somewhere? Any other RVs coming.

So far as boat.. we'll be there on the F18

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/14/10 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by MarkW_F18
Is there any organized accommodations? Last year, we were scattered all over the place. It would be nice to find a central place for us to stay. Loyd is thinking about bringing the RV, so we may be in a campground somewhere? Any other RVs coming.

Campground costs have gone through the roof down there! It doesn't make sense to take an RV anymore - especially for a weekend. I'm trying to get a rental house right there at the beach if they'll let us have it for three or four days (instead of a whole week). The Sail and Ski guys were helping us to make that happen...I'll check with them again and let you know. If we get it, there should be tons of space available.

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/14/10 08:24 PM

Thanks Jake.... sending in the registration for the F18...

Cheers,
MK

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/14/10 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

Campground costs have gone through the roof down there! It doesn't make sense to take an RV anymore - especially for a weekend. I'm trying to get a rental house right there at the beach if they'll let us have it for three or four days (instead of a whole week). The Sail and Ski guys were helping us to make that happen...I'll check with them again and let you know. If we get it, there should be tons of space available.

I call the bed closest to the bathroom.
Posted By: WindyHillF20

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/19/10 10:51 PM

I'm registered and may have some floor space at my place in N.Myrtle, its a 30 min drive best case. I think all the Wrightsville 18 guys are coming as solo. I hope to arrive on Friday before and get the boat set up.

There are issues this year with N Myrtle and beach use. They are trying to ban overnight boat parking on the beach. If you know anyone on city council or elsewhere please give them a call. We need to stop this beach closure from happening!

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/20/10 12:18 AM

The N. Myrtle Beach Mayor is an 'ol Hobie sailor. He should be at the event periodically and would be a good person to talk to about that. In fact, he's responsible for helping us get the car parking privileges we enjoy at this event.

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/20/10 07:53 PM

N. Myrtle is a different entity than Surfside Beach.. I think it's the Surfside mayor that is the old Hobie sailor. Any word on the house in Surfside? We're also looking at Ocean Lakes campground.. anyone know if you can launch a boat from there?

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/20/10 08:04 PM

N. Myrtle is a different entity than Surfside Beach.. I think it's the Surfside mayor that is the old Hobie sailor. Any word on the house in Surfside? We're also looking at Ocean Lakes campground.. anyone know if you can launch a boat from there?

No dice on the house. Everyone wants a full week rental. I'm still looking but not hopeful.

You're right - I think he was the mayor of Surfside (ooops).

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 07/21/10 03:10 AM

You can launch from Ocean Lakes as it is technically in Horry Cty, the campground may have rules but none I am aware of.

The N. Myrtle mayor is not a sailor but her son, Chad, was for many years. Chad used to run all the rental cats on N. Myrtle and his dad ran the beach service, the good old days. Chad is a lawyer now in Myrtle. Maybe I should see if Frank would give him a call, couldn't hurt.

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/05/10 10:40 PM

This event is next weekend, only 25 boats allowed and spaces are still available!! This is the ONLY ocean race on the EMSA schedule, the sound isn't the ocean.
Need some more boats, call anyone that might attend. Its important to have a good showing at this type of community event. This race is part of an ocean front city festival, many eyes on it and a good opportunity to expose beachcat sailing to the general public in a positive light.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/06/10 12:09 AM

Do you know who's going and what type boats ? Also where are most people staying ? I was thinking of coming but have to make plans soon. I sent out a post on the emsa yhaoo groups and only got 1 response.
What type racing?
Posted By: abbman

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/06/10 03:11 AM

I know there will be a pretty good showing of 16's. I'm not sure about the spin boats. I know Mark and Loyd are going and I believe Jake will be there as well. I know some of the people that would of attended are at Racine I believe.
Last year was can racing on Saturday with a Distance run up the beach on Sunday.
I had a lot of fun at this one last year. They do a good job with this one.

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/06/10 02:11 PM

There were 2 F18s registered and 1 I-20 last week. 2 single hand 16's, a miracle and a couple of plastic boats. I didn't see Jake registered and thought they said he was going to Racine as well.
I know Thomas is working on some other 18's and I e-mailed a couple guys I know that rarely race, like myself.
It will be just like last year with cans on Sat and distance on Sun. Always great raffle items.
I don't know where folks are staying, my family has a house in N. Myrtle so thats where I will be.
Hope to see you there!

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/06/10 03:01 PM

I'm on the fence about going and it will be a last minute decision for me - the construction at my house is time and stress consuming at the moment.

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/06/10 07:41 PM

Spoke with Charlie today, 15 boats registered. Several good 16 sailors and a couple more plastic boats. Wind forecast is good now but always subject to change. Last weekend it was blowing 20kts with gusts close to 30, had some crazy, scary fast spin runs. Tripped over the bows twice, awesome!!!!

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/06/10 10:46 PM

Well, David and Jake if you are on the fence about coming and need a place to crash give me an e-mail. I've got a some space at the place I'm staying if you don't mind finding a place to crash in a one-bedroom apt. It's in Myrtle, but the drive is pretty quick.

I haven't been doing regattas long but this is one I'd like to see continue, so I figure the more the merrier. It is fun having a weekend regatta in the Ocean, as WindyHill said.

hobie 16 hull flyer (<-altogether) at yahoo

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/17/10 12:49 AM

So we were al teed up to go. Boat packed up, hotel resyz made, etc.... but had to bail for a variety of unexepcted reasons...

how was it?

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/17/10 02:56 AM

Overall it was a great regatta. It's great to be on the ocean and the support from Sail and Ski Connection and the town of Surside is amazing. Mother Nature didn't work with us Saturday and racing had to be cancelled. The sea state was a bit much for the committee boat and a low kept swinging storms around on top of us. A few of us went out for a pleasure sail later in the day in some pretty fun conditions.
Sunday was pretty eventful. There was a straight onshore breeze with some surf that made getting out a bit frustrating for some, including me. After finally getting out I ended up loosing a lower rudder gudgeon and had to go back in, but they got in four races Sunday.

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/17/10 03:23 PM

Charlie did a great job of getting this organized, again! Saturday was iffy but we probably could have raced in the afternoon. Sundays start was a bit sketchy, wind on the nose with 3' breakers and swimmers/surfers in the water. I just missed getting double cored by a 16 running parallel to the beach.
I was consistently off at the starts, lost my crew overboard, went flying off the back under spin and saved a near pitchpole at A mark. I'm a little sore but had a blast! Door prizes were nice as well!

Re: Surfside Beach Regatta - 08/18/10 05:18 PM

Sunday was brutally rough sea conditions and about 15-17 knot winds. Saturdays storms left some really short and steep swells. We kept our skipper on the boat to keep from getting washed off or knocked down. We felt it was better to keep the boat under control. But the crew got beat up pretty good. I got some nice bruises to show for it. But it was a lot of fun and plan to do it again.. Hopefully we will have a better turn out next year.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums