Catsailor.com

Silena SL16 - any tips?

Posted By: Luiz

Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/09/10 10:06 AM

There are but a few (16?) cats at this years Youth Worlds and a few participants only sailed Hobies before. I am sure that they will wellcome tips.

The only thing I know about the Silena is obvious: the spinaker halyard is quite high in the mast top, so mainsheet tension is important for mast integrity when sailing downwind.

Anyone sailed the boat?

Thanks!
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/09/10 09:43 PM

The cat is a Sirena SL16 designed by Yves Loday. It is built by White Formula, who also build the Spitfire designed by Yves and Reg White. It will be the Youth cat for, at least, the next 3 years. There are 30 hulls at the Worlds smile http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=236678&id=52997197316&ref=mf#!/photo.php?pid=6391251&id=52997197316&fbid=447282827316 It feels a lot more like a Spitfire than a Hobie 16, tacks quickly, lots of buoyancy in the bows downwind. You do need to keep tension on the mainsheet down-wind. Maybe the spinnaker sheet was a bit long on the one I sailed, but we caught it around a bow twice - keep it tidy. Hope everyone has a great Worlds. See you in Ireland in 2012.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/10/10 06:41 AM

Hi Luiz

How many tornados were at the Olympics? Thats the problem with one boat/country.
I would say that all the main cat sailing countries are represented, but where are the DUTCH? They have been sending the same team for 3 years and i can't believe that they did not have another lined up!
looking at it again, what's the matter with the Irish Dermot?
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/10/10 10:34 AM

We never had any properly organised youth cat sailing here. The Irish Sailing Association and the large clubs with the big money concentrated on the Optimist, Mirror etc. Now we have 4 SL 16s and hope to have an entry in next year's Youth Worlds - and of course in Ireland in 2012.

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/13/10 07:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, I´ll pass it on to the boys (no mixed crew).

The main countries are represented, indeed, I just don´t like to compare the multihull numbers with, say 100 Lasers among boys and girls.

The boat looks good and most of the kids from all classes are eager to sail one. My daughter already wants it...

Ireland will be her last year at the Youth Worlds so I sure hope to see you there - if she qualifies.

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/13/10 07:53 PM

Team BRA gave everyone else a good spanking in the race yesterday!

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/13/10 08:09 PM

Yes, they were quite happy after the race. The conditions were difficult out there. In the Laser area the wind was shifting direction and strength, while the current varied from place to place, according to the APP coach. It was certainly the same for the cats, probably worse, for they arrived to shore a lot later.

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/13/10 08:52 PM

let's hope for a good wind tomorrow

Re: Silena SL16 - any tips? - 07/17/10 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
let's hope for a good wind tomorrow

Sorry for the delay, internet access is complicated here. They had good wind the last two days.
One correction and a piece of information: two teams had mixed crews and, answering to my inquiry, the dealer said that the SL16 will remain the ISAF Youth multihull at least during the next three years.

Cheers,
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums