Catsailor.com

Beach Wheels

Posted By: bvining

Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 08:36 AM

So, one of my beach wheels was a little soft, so I stuck it in the car, drove it to the gas station. The cap hadnt been removed in quite a while, it had corroded onto the brass fitting in the valve stem. I applied a little muscle and ended up twisting the brass fitting in the valve stem out of the valve stem. It actually came out rather easily.

Now I'm wondering if I can glue the brass fitting back in, or if I need a new valve stem.

The gas station couldnt install the valve stem, said I needed to go the tire store.

I will probably end up at the tire store, unless someone has a easy way to fix the valve stem.

Posted By: Jake

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by bvining
So, one of my beach wheels was a little soft, so I stuck it in the car, drove it to the gas station. The cap hadnt been removed in quite a while, it had corroded onto the brass fitting in the valve stem. I applied a little muscle and ended up twisting the brass fitting in the valve stem out of the valve stem. It actually came out rather easily.

Now I'm wondering if I can glue the brass fitting back in, or if I need a new valve stem.

The gas station couldnt install the valve stem, said I needed to go the tire store.

I will probably end up at the tire store, unless someone has a easy way to fix the valve stem.

I once used contact cement to put one back in and it held for a year until I sold the boat later.

However, an inner tube is the real solution - I think Rick has them here on the site somewhere (they are an odd size).
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 12:45 PM

Here is the link
https://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=20045&idcategory=0

I had a set of Cat Trax and a set of Euro Trax and both began to lose air on a regular basis. Installed the tubes and they have been fine for a couple of years now.
Rick
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 01:52 PM

+1 on the tubes from Rick.
Posted By: Buzz258

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 03:00 PM

I recently paid $5 to have a rubber valve stem installed in a beach wheel.
Buzz
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 03:19 PM

Not worth fixing a broken valve stem - they are about $2 for a new valve from the auto parts store. Flatten the tire (sounds like you already have), break the bead (easy enough by hand on these little suckers, change the valve, reinflate. Remove the valve core to increase air flow and make it easier to reseat the bead. Dish soap on the shoulder of the rim also helps get it to 'grab' and begin pushing the tier up the shoulder. Then put back in the valve core and reinflate to the desired pressure (less than 10 psig I recall)

Inner tubes are not necessary - just make sure the rim and tire bead is clean and smooth. Check for leaks with soapy water and address as required. Looks like two tubes will cost you $60 plus installation vs. $2 for a new valve.
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 05:52 PM

I was in a fix once with a leaky tire at a regatta. I used goop and put the insert back in. It held for a long time, more than a year, but the best thing is to replace the stem as Flump mentioned.
Posted By: orphan

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 06:39 PM

You don't have to break the tire seal on the rim. Cut the old stem off and jam it back into the rim. The use some liquid soap and a screw driver to work the new stem in from the outside. Not easy but can be done. Sometimes easier than breaking the tire seal.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by orphan
You don't have to break the tire seal on the rim. Cut the old stem off and jam it back into the rim. The use some liquid soap and a screw driver to work the new stem in from the outside. Not easy but can be done. Sometimes easier than breaking the tire seal.

Just did this an breaking the seal is not a big deal. You don't even have to take the tire of the rim to do it either. I tried it both ways, and letting all of the air out of the tire, cutting the stem, breaking the seal, and putting in a new valve was easier to me.

Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/29/10 07:27 PM

Actually, both Cat Trax and Euros have told me that the leakage can also be the rim.., so yes, tubes may be necessary.

Had brand new Cat Trax leak, and it was not the stem.
Rick
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Beach Wheels - 07/30/10 01:50 AM

I think I paid $11 each through a local motorcycle dealership. They had to be ordered as it is a really goofy size.

Sorry Rick!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums