Catsailor.com

Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s

Posted By: Vladimir

Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/14/10 06:14 AM

Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to sign up!

Non-stop 100 miles of typical watertribe fun – shallow waters, tricky navigation, old canal and a few bridges. Running 9/24-9/26
Great line-up so far. In class 5 there are
Randy “SewSew” Smyth with 18 ft catamaran (A-cat?)
J.P “HoldYourCourse “Ayers on Isotope (He is saying he sorted out all the bugs)
One Hobie 14, two Hobie Adventure Islands tri, I’ll bring my inflatable catamaran, bunch of interesting class 4 – sailing monohulls, and one great group of people.
If you decide to give it a try, make sure you read the rules carefully. They are different than in any race.
http://www.watertribe.com/

Attached picture NCC.jpg
Posted By: windswept

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/14/10 05:28 PM

Randy Smythe's Sew Sew ia an 18' trimaran with scissor style amas.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/14/10 06:07 PM

wow....that looks like an incredible run. thinking...thinking....considering....hmmmmmmm...

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/15/10 11:41 PM

Randy's tri is 20 ft long. He signed up with 18 ft catamaran for this race. The only 18 ft catamaran I can think Randy would sail is A-cat
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 01:47 AM

Wow.. I'm blown away Randy "THE ROCK STAR" is doing this.. if totally dominating all classes of catamaran racing is not enough.. he takes on a survival challenge. Randy you da man... this sounds like a great event.. Ever since I heard about it last year I've been thinking about doing it on the H16. but I don't like that canal leg.

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MarkW_F18
Wow.. I'm blown away Randy "THE ROCK STAR" is doing this.. if totally dominating all classes of catamaran racing is not enough.. he takes on a survival challenge. Randy you da man... this sounds like a great event.. Ever since I heard about it last year I've been thinking about doing it on the H16. but I don't like that canal leg.

I think the canal leg would be the coolest and most challenging (pray for a southern breeze down the chute!).

Randy has done the Watertribe everglades challenge twice now I think.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 11:51 AM

Ugh, sailing in the neuse river.... welcome to the Neuse River mustache on your bows.
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

I think the canal leg would be the coolest and most challenging (pray for a southern breeze down the chute!).

Have you seen this canal?
[Linked Image]

It's about 20 feet wide, 10 miles long and I bet loaded with water moccasins... heavily wooded so I doubt too much wind and you would need to drop your mast for a low bridge. Probably would need to paddle all the way.
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 07:40 PM

It's an adventure race, ladies, not solely a sailing race.

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 08:35 PM

Have you seen this canal?
[Linked Image]

It's about 20 feet wide, 10 miles long and I bet loaded with water moccasins... heavily wooded so I doubt too much wind and you would need to drop your mast for a low bridge. Probably would need to paddle all the way.

That photo is what made me think that it looked like a great idea! The water is probably shallow enough that you could capsize the boat and walk it under the bridge....hopefully.
Posted By: jpayers

Lions and tigers and bears oh my, - 08/16/10 09:15 PM

I am totaly loving this. Water Moccasins, alligators, low bridges, 10 mile paddle, heavy currents, lions and tigers and bears oh my. Its called a challenge for a reason.
See ya at the starting line,

J.P.
Holdyourcourse
Posted By: jpayers

Re: Lions and tigers and bears oh my, - 08/16/10 09:32 PM

Enjoy the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QfGWtGzSLQ

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/16/10 11:55 PM

Three times entered, one finish.

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/17/10 12:01 AM

The water is probably shallow enough that you could capsize the boat and walk it under the bridge....hopefully.

Just watch out for all these trees. With tide pushing you, and tree holding a mast and water moccasins and alligators circling around... oh well, don't ask me how do I know....

Re: Watertribe North Carolina Challenge. It is not too late to s - 08/17/10 01:01 AM

Wow...low bridges too. The mast would have to come down on any catamaran as it wouldn't fit through it capsized on it's side. I guess then it becomes a tradeoff of how fast you can paddle vs. how long it takes to raise and lower the mast.

Attached picture new-1.jpg
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums