Catsailor.com

Mast rake inter 20 nacra

Posted By: catsailor2032

Mast rake inter 20 nacra - 09/07/10 08:06 PM

I have an 1998 inter 20. Need to know the best the best mast rake position and how to measure it. Thanks.
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Mast rake inter 20 nacra - 09/07/10 08:23 PM

For light to medium wind conditions, I run mine at the top of the transom. For heavier wind, I'll take it back to the top rudder gudgeon.

To measure, untie one of your trapeze lines and attach another length of line to it. Walk to the front of the boat and draw the trap line tight in line with the hull attachment for your bridle wire. Mark that point on the line. Walk the trap wire to the back of the boat and see where that mark falls on the rear of the boat.
Posted By: Will_R

Re: Mast rake inter 20 nacra - 09/08/10 04:59 AM

Depends on the conditions. Most I20's I've sailed have shorter shrouds and longer forestay than stock to get more rake. The boat likes it WAY back if it's blowing... like WAY WAY WAY back.

Probably you can put the forestay in the top hole and be good.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Mast rake inter 20 nacra - 09/08/10 12:57 PM

I'm 1" in front of the transom.

About 3 years ago, a lot of people were raking backwards a lot. People would use double chainplates on the front. I don't see that happening as much anymore from wht I can tell.

I don't rake much at all because I'm heavy as sin usually. I find that the boat is much more powered up with that stick up there. The rudders do like to stall more with the mast up there. You just have to be good about your bear aways.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Mast rake inter 20 nacra - 09/08/10 02:37 PM

I run a 3" longer forestay and 1.5 " shorter shrouds. In 20 knots plus, I'll run the forestay in the top hole. If the wind drops, I'm screwed. My measurement usualy is about 20" or so back on the rudder or about halfway down the transom. That's what JC told me to run it when I got it. Maybe I should stand it up a little more since I rarely win any races.
Posted By: Will_R

Re: Mast rake inter 20 nacra - 09/20/10 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
I run a 3" longer forestay and 1.5 " shorter shrouds. In 20 knots plus, I'll run the forestay in the top hole. If the wind drops, I'm screwed. My measurement usualy is about 20" or so back on the rudder or about halfway down the transom. That's what JC told me to run it when I got it. Maybe I should stand it up a little more since I rarely win any races.

You're just not sailing in any regattas with enough wind!!

I remember us raking back even further for the crazy days.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums