Catsailor.com

CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 12:21 PM

Check SA's AC forum (for all the lamentations of the monosluggers) for the details.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 12:25 PM

AWESOME!!
Apart from the AC72 there will also be AC45s, WITH WINGS!

Full text of the press release

America’s Cup transformed by radical changes

New class of boat and annual series of racing among introductions

VALENCIA, Spain (September 13, 2010) – The America’s Cup, sailing’s most iconic event, has been re-energized and rejuvenated, ready for 2013 and the future.

The best sailors in the world will race on the fastest boats with the introduction of an exciting wingsail catamaran.
To build interest and audiences ahead of the 34th Match in 2013 is a new annual World Series, commencing in 2011.
A clear vision for the future led to analysis of the best practices in other major sports. Six months of dialogue with potential teams and stakeholders followed, resulting in the transformed competition details that were released today.

Highlights include:
 New, exciting class of boat, the AC72 wingsail catamaran
 New annual World Series starting in 2011
 New Youth America’s Cup from 2012
 Transformed media for television broadcast and online
 Shorter, action-packed race format
 Race delays minimized – new boat and venues with reliable wind
 Independent race management and fully empowered International Jury to avoid show-stopping disputes
 Effective cost-cutting measures
 Branding freedom for teams
 One global website for all team and racing content

The annual America’s Cup World Series has been designed to create exposure and commercial sustainability for teams and their sponsors. The series featuring the cutting-edge catamaran will deliver exciting racing to new audiences ahead of the America’s Cup Match in 2013.
The AC72 class will be raced from 2012, and a second new boat will be used in next year’s competition for the America’s Cup World Series. Also powered by a wingsail, the AC45 is a scaled down one-design version of the AC72, and will provide a fast-track for competitors in wingsail technology.
“We believe this new format and new boat will put the America’s Cup back at the pinnacle of our sport. These changes will give equal opportunity to competitors and long-term economic stability to all teams and all commercial partners. We promised fairness and innovation and this is what we’ve delivered,” said Russell Coutts, CEO of BMW ORACLE Racing.

The Regatta Director of the independent organization America’s Cup Race Management, ACRM, will be appointed jointly by the Challenger and Defender board members. A financial model for the next Defender to maintain this vision of independent race management allows teams and partners to plan long-term involvement.

“I think that we need to acknowledge that the Defender has kept its word. The America’s Cup is going to have fair rules and a truly independent management of the racing,” said Vincenzo Onorato, President of Mascalzone Latino.
“This change should’ve happened years ago in my opinion. I can see why this important development could last for many years in the future,” Onorato said.

Limits on the number of boats, sails, equipment and support boats, as well as the introduction of no-sail periods will bring significant cost savings for all competitors. Crew sizes will be reduced to 11 members from 17.

For the first time onboard cameramen will be part of the innovative media model that is designed to significantly enhance the television broadcasts and internet content in an effort to grow audiences and bring added value to teams and partners.

In releasing the Protocol, the Defender has forfeited some of the rights traditionally enjoyed by the holder of the trophy in the interest of making the competition more balanced and fair. Majority approval of the competitors is required to amend the Protocol.
“During our six months of planning we spoke to the teams, to commercial partners, to media and to the fans. A clear and compelling vision emerged – that to capture and communicate the excitement our sport can produce, we need the best sailors racing the fastest boat in the world,” Coutts said.
In an effort to develop the next generation of best sailors, the new AC45 will be used for the Youth America’s Cup beginning in 2012, a new initiative to provide young sailors a pathway to the America’s Cup.

With today’s release of the Protocol, class of boat and year in which the match will be held, three of the four cornerstones for the 34th Match are in place. The final piece, the venue, is scheduled to be announced by the end of the year.
Posted By: Jake

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 12:44 PM

I thought the announcement was due later tonight.
Posted By: pgp

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 12:44 PM

bannana boards!

http://www.americascup.com/features-stories/new-america%E2%80%99s-cup-era-begins-with-wingsail-catamaran/#AC34

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
I thought the announcement was due later tonight.

Nope 1pm euro time (its 3pm here now), I was in a damn meeting when it was on! tired
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 12:50 PM

What is this going to do to the extreme 40 class??? They got a really good thing going!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
What is this going to do to the extreme 40 class??? They got a really good thing going!

Hopefully training for the 45 monster with a wing !!

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2

Rumor has it that one of the key players that put the Formula 40 thing together is involved with the new AC catamaran class.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 01:38 PM

Is the AC45 class going to suck all the talent away from the extreme 40's? Effectively killing the class?
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 01:48 PM

"New, exciting class of boat, the AC72 wingsail catamaran"

What a brave move by them. I thought they would leave it open to a cat or tri.

So the guy who one the cup has to start from scratch with a design of a totally new boat. Pretty bold decision.

I wonder if they will be looking to the F18 and A class as a training ground for these boats. This could add tons of visability to these classes. Also could add lots of other issues that comes with the money and visability.

Quite a positive move for cats worldwide.

Posted By: Timbo

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 01:59 PM

There's two great changes right there! This announcement is quite amazing to me, I had thought that because the last one was such a blow out, they might go back to monohulls, but this is really great news for development of wings on cats! I wonder if these guys watched that C cat regatta just before they made up their minds?

Ben Hall must be smiling ear to ear!

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

There's two great changes right there! This announcement is quite amazing to me, I had thought that because the last one was such a blow out, they might go back to monohulls, but this is really great news for development of wings on cats! I wonder if these guys watched that C cat regatta just before they made up their minds?

Ben Hall must be smiling ear to ear!

The decision was pretty much made by the time the C-class had the Little AC. That's why the who's who in the world of yacht design were onsite for the event.

I think something was also lost in the English translation of the "junior" event bit...I'm sure it's not an event for junior (read "young") sailors but is like a minor league to the America's Cup....and yeah, that probably means the end for the existing VX40s.
Posted By: brucat

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 03:48 PM

Hello!!! Can you say San Francisco? smile

Jake, I hope you're right. I can't imagine a team of kids on a 45-foot winged "mini" - monster...

Mike
Posted By: Timbo

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 03:52 PM

Kids are great crew, light, strong, fearless and best of all..expendable!

Ask anyone from Team Child Abuse!

Like I tell my kids when I threaten to kill them, "Hey, I can always make more, look just like you too..."
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Kids are great crew, light, strong, fearless and best of all..expendable!

Ask anyone from Team Child Abuse!

Like I tell my kids when I threaten to kill them, "Hey, I can alwyas make more, look just like you too..."

expendable

HAHA!~

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 06:14 PM

Both of the rendering look A LOT like the Nacra CF20 (with hard wings, ofc)
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Both of the rendering look A LOT like the Nacra CF20 (with hard wings, ofc)

Or the lingy cat.
Posted By: catman

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 09:35 PM

While I think doing it on cats is great, I also think using the wing is going too far.

Time will tell and it will certianly be interesting.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by catman
While I think doing it on cats is great, I also think using the wing is going too far.

Time will tell and it will certianly be interesting.

It's going to make it exciting and interesting. There will be so many new technological facets to each team's approach. Pushing the technology will likely result in some drama too.
Posted By: smv

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 11:08 PM

Pretty sure they did mean "youth" - protocol was written in English!

From Fischers piece at Sail-world, questioning Coutts:
"In addition to the AC World Series there would be a Youth America's Cup from 2012. This would be held in the AC-45 catamarans, and while age limits have yet to be defined, the crew will have to be from the nation of its challenging yacht club."

Speculation is that they intend to set the limit at age 25

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 11:11 PM

Watching the flat-earthers over at the SA AC forum is hilarious.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/13/10 11:40 PM

You just can't teach some people.Screw 'em.
As far as AC-72/ AC 45: Hell Yeah!!!

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by smv
Pretty sure they did mean "youth" - protocol was written in English!

From Fischers piece at Sail-world, questioning Coutts:
"In addition to the AC World Series there would be a Youth America's Cup from 2012. This would be held in the AC-45 catamarans, and while age limits have yet to be defined, the crew will have to be from the nation of its challenging yacht club."

Speculation is that they intend to set the limit at age 25

I believe the actual quote from the press release was "junior league" - not "youth" league...which I can imagine in some other dialects of English (Aussie, UK, etc.) could mean "minor league" and not necessarily our common usage of "junior" to mean "youth". It would be silly to put 12 year olds on a 45 foot winged catamaran.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 12:10 AM

It makes me wonder if this is the reason that the general populous has a hard time relating to sailing as a sport. Most sailboats they see are very mundane slow pigs and while yes, a Melges 24 can be exciting, from the outside it seems like a lot of work with a lot of hands to go 16 knots. For some reason, sailing is stuck with the most visual part of our racing done in minivans while the automotive equivalent of Formula 1's are the odd ball multihull outsiders. I would have a hard time identifying with that pecking order too.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 12:10 AM

http://cdn.americascup.com/AC34-Protocol-9-Sep-2010.pdf

Here's the protocol, probably already posted. I didn't look. I expect it's in there. I think I read somewhere else that it was like Jake said , a minor league thing.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
http://cdn.americascup.com/AC34-Protocol-9-Sep-2010.pdf

Here's the protocol, probably already posted. I didn't look. I expect it's in there. I think I read somewhere else that it was like Jake said , a minor league thing.

I looked and they used both "junior" and "youth" once in the document in an oblique method "...as in a youth event". Lord knows what it means. crazy

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jake

It makes me wonder if this is the reason that the general populous has a hard time relating to sailing as a sport. Most sailboats they see are very mundane slow pigs and while yes, a Melges 24 can be exciting, from the outside it seems like a lot of work with a lot of hands to go 16 knots. For some reason, sailing is stuck with the most visual part of our racing done in minivans while the automotive equivalent of Formula 1's are the odd ball multihull outsiders. I would have a hard time identifying with that pecking order too.

i for one couldn't be happier with all the news.

i think it sounds amazing and it seems good for the sport and hopefully it will find a media outlet and sponsors that result in new cats designed and boats sold.

great avitar - Beaker - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Beaker_muppet.jpg
Posted By: Wouter

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 09:04 AM

The monosluggers kicked us out of the Olympics and the multis repayed them by taking over the AC. Poetic justice if there ever was one !

Absolutely brilliant.

Wouter
Posted By: catman

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 11:47 AM

+1

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 01:19 PM

man I so thought that the "multihull stigma" was over and done with - that with our latest offerings of F18, A class, F16, F20 etc, that we had finally proven that we were "real" sailors.

But now to see the reactions that permeate the AC forum over at SA, and other sailing forums, I'm not only convinced that its real, but its real ugly.

People, including me, have used the word bigot to describe these people who demonstrate an irrational loathing for multihulls. I don't know of a better word for it personally. Its as if they fear what they don't understand, and have to lash out at it.

I'm excited for the AC34, but sad at the same time - because if its a bust its just going to vindicate these nay-sayers.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 01:35 PM

it's just a vocal minority. They'll get over it.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 01:36 PM

I don't know Jake, there seems to be a lot of them.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 01:49 PM

"man I so thought that the "multihull stigma" was over and done with"

Never gonna happen! You might as well try converting a chocolate lover to vanilla.
Posted By: tshan

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 02:55 PM

Why do you think they chose that size? it seems awfully big/expensive - from construction to maintenance to shipping to storage; won't it preclude some teams from competing due to expense? It seems they could have gone smaller and made the event more accessible to more teams.

Any ideas? Is it so that spectators can see them more easily from shore? Is it because that is more comparable to the ocean racing multi's and good designs are already present?
Posted By: David_Nolte

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 02:58 PM

Gotta think that this will add pressure to bring Cats back to the Olympics....
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by tshan
Why do you think they chose that size? it seems awfully big/expensive - from construction to maintenance to shipping to storage; won't it preclude some teams from competing due to expense? It seems they could have gone smaller and made the event more accessible to more teams.

Any ideas? Is it so that spectators can see them more easily from shore? Is it because that is more comparable to the ocean racing multi's and good designs are already present?

The size, cost and date are all deliberate to keep the field small. This gives home team has a signficant advantage which of course is by design. Keep in mind this is and always has been just a game between the hyper rich and their toys.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by David_Nolte
Gotta think that this will add pressure to bring Cats back to the Olympics....

I suspect it will do nada for cats in the Olympics, I also predict sailing at the Olympics is not long for this world. The Olympics is becoming or has become more about the $$ than the competition. If it doesn't get viewership and sell ad space it has gotta go.
Posted By: brucat

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 06:05 PM

We're viewed as a vocal minority as well, just keep that in mind...

Mike

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 10:54 PM

<**** necessary to support their weak viewpoint.
It's been this way since Amaryllis, I don't suspect change will happen quick. Having said that hearing what the NYYC commodore and PRO had to say at the LAC awards was refreshing, so we may be making some small gains.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 11:09 PM

I'm excited for the AC34, but sad at the same time - because if its a bust its just going to vindicate these nay-sayers.

I don't think a competition between 72ft winged cats designed to a tight box rule under mutual consent can bust. This AC scheme seems to be professionally designed to yield a profitable show and that can't be done without interesting races.

If they were smart enough to switch to multihulls against the wishes of the majority of the sailing community, they should be smart enough to make money - and that is first requirement to get to the AC.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/14/10 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Luiz

I don't think a competition between 72ft winged cats designed to a tight box rule under mutual consent can bust. This AC scheme seems to be professionally designed to yield a profitable show and that can't be done without interesting races.

If they were smart enough to switch to multihulls against the wishes of the majority of the sailing community, they should be smart enough to make money - and that is first requirement to get to the AC.

I think they recognized that the last format had run it's course and was struggling for new ideas to increase the publicity and fame. I think for every sailor that is turned off (or at least says they are) there will be at least 10 more people tuned in. Even those that say they're turned off can't deny the incredible collection of technological sailing craft that we are about to see.

Hopefully this thing will happen in San Fran...I'll be there for sure.
Posted By: rhodysail

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/15/10 04:23 PM

It sure would be great if all the catamaran classes showed their support by running a match race regatta next year.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/15/10 04:25 PM

I was thinking of doing a match racing cats video... just to show to the unwashed masses that it could be done.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/15/10 06:00 PM

US SAILING to Draft Multihull Rule
for 34th America’s Cup
Competition details for the 34th America’s Cup were announced during Monday’s press conference in Valencia, Spain. The extremely fast AC72 wingsail America’s Cup catamaran has been tagged as the chosen boat for the 2013 race. US SAILING, in partnership with Morrelli & Melvin Design & Engineering, is the neutral party responsible for managing the development of the multihull rule. Learn more about how and why US SAILING became involved with this process from US SAILING's Offshore Director Dan Nowlan. Watch Part 2 of this interview with Dan Nowlan.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/15/10 08:54 PM

This is precisely the kind of perception I'm talking about. I thought we had beat it out of people - but I guess not.

From SA AC forum:
So the America's Cup is dead as far as history goes. It has been converted to " The Big Little AC " and all the SA's on Hobie Cats are thrilled as they now feel they are at the top of the heap. Well it is a heap alright. A heap of dung with no provenance whatsoever. Queen Victoria would say, not who is second, but rather, what kind of crap is that pretending to be an ocean racing boat? Where is the accommodation? Where are the big waves? Why can't multi hull guys just go get their own Cup ie create a new one, and leave history alone. The Cup died with the last multi series. It should have been banned from the get go, but the NYYC went limpus dickus and let it be taken away without a whimper. Enjoy drag racing you multi freaks. Enjoy interminable delays because there is wind and waves. Enjoy a joke which will not attract the public. At least in mono's the public could pretend race and enjoy a cottage life with their kids. Multis on the beach are for kids and fun but they are not multi use boats for families. At least in golf you can play the same courses as the pro's. No longer in sailing. Why can't these multitards not realize there is more to sailing than just flat out speed. After the next cup it will be in hydropters (sic?) and then Russian surface airplanes that glide 2 feet off the water. And then why not helicopters that can land on water? Where will it end? Hopefully NYYC will come out with a " continuation" cup for those with education and an historical memory.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/15/10 09:08 PM

Give it a rest Tad the same uninformed bigotry towards monohulls is rampent right here on this forum, and you my friend are often leading that charge. Reposting an opinion that is probably the ignorant minority does nothing but further the "us against them" mentality. Seriously what was your purpose behind this repost?

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 01:23 AM

Yeah Ding,

I'm so biased against those monohulls, which is why I sailed on one for 3 summers straight every wednesday night.

My purpose was to show people what kind of mentality exists out there - stacked against multihulls for no good reason other than the fact that there's no keel.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 04:08 AM

Yeah Ding,

I'm so biased against those monohulls, which is why I sailed on one for 3 summers straight every wednesday night.

My purpose was to show people what kind of mentality exists out there - stacked against multihulls for no good reason other than the fact that there's no keel.

I didn't know you actually sailed.

Posted By: rexdenton

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 02:26 PM

This is precisely the kind of perception I'm talking about. I thought we had beat it out of people - but I guess not.

From SA AC forum:
So the America's Cup is dead as far as history goes. It has been converted to " The Big Little AC " and all the SA's on Hobie Cats are thrilled as they now feel they are at the top of the heap. Well it is a heap alright. A heap of dung with no provenance whatsoever. Queen Victoria would say, not who is second, but rather, what kind of crap is that pretending to be an ocean racing boat? Where is the accommodation? Where are the big waves? Why can't multi hull guys just go get their own Cup ie create a new one, and leave history alone. The Cup died with the last multi series. It should have been banned from the get go, but the NYYC went limpus dickus and let it be taken away without a whimper. Enjoy drag racing you multi freaks. Enjoy interminable delays because there is wind and waves. Enjoy a joke which will not attract the public. At least in mono's the public could pretend race and enjoy a cottage life with their kids. Multis on the beach are for kids and fun but they are not multi use boats for families. At least in golf you can play the same courses as the pro's. No longer in sailing. Why can't these multitards not realize there is more to sailing than just flat out speed. After the next cup it will be in hydropters (sic?) and then Russian surface airplanes that glide 2 feet off the water. And then why not helicopters that can land on water? Where will it end? Hopefully NYYC will come out with a " continuation" cup for those with education and an historical memory.

This poster on SA (probabledave) is trolling for a fight, largely to use against the MH community. This guy and his ilk, are looking to discredit our interest by branding us as ungentlemanly yachtsmen.
The best we can do is take the high ground, not engage such Philistines as this, and recognize the irony that this same crowd sabotaged the Tornado in the Olympics, only to see the Elite yachtsman of the sailing world embrace the catamaran in the America's Cup.

Karma is a bitch...

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by rexdenton

From SA AC forum:

This poster on SA (probabledave) is trolling for a fight, largely to use against the MH community. This guy and his ilk, are looking to discredit our interest by branding us as ungentlemanly yachtsmen.
The best we can do is take the high ground, not engage such Philistines as this, and recognize the irony that this same crowd sabotaged the Tornado in the Olympics, only to see the Elite yachtsman of the sailing world embrace the catamaran in the America's Cup.

Karma is a bitch...

FWIW, from an 'influential' member of the MH community regarding the baiting going on in SA:

"Pay no mind to DP who posted this, he is a power troll of the highest order. We had our entire YC forum shut down because of this guy and his antics. He is a litigation lawyer so he trolls for a living.

He also likes to get wound up about us sailing the C-cats past his gin palace at the club and garnering attention for our efforts. He knows perfectly well which buttons to press to get someone simmering and more.

He also has to suffer moths and hobie trifoilers blasting around ruining his view of the harbour, not to mention a huge herd of I-14's, all of which make him cry for the old "glory days" of our club fielding IOR Admirals Cup entrants etc. It's all a red rag to this bull.

Much of this vitriol is designed to bait me and Fredo into some low order flame war.

He is a bitter little man on all fronts, this is simply his latest line of "attack".

Ask him how many times he's left the dock this year in his lead sled. I think it's a rather low number for lack of friends to play with.

Now I shall stand by the door waiting for him to serve papers on me for slander... "

Don't play the game DP wants the MH community to play-better to let the lawyer steep in his vile juices than give him the satisfaction of sucking us into such a dubious an ungentlemanly game.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 08:56 PM

Is anyone clever enough to scale a 16,18, or 20 footer into this pic?

Attached picture ac.JPG

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 09:34 PM

This was done by hand but should be very close.

[Linked Image] [u][/u]

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 09:36 PM

lmao.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 10:23 PM

It is funny, but I have to see these things! If not the 72s, then the 45s for sure!

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by rhodysail
It sure would be great if all the catamaran classes showed their support by running a match race regatta next year.

...a little birdie said exactly the same thing earlier today...Are you racing Roton this weekend?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/16/10 11:58 PM

Andrew, I don't know if I've ever told you this before, but you are awesome.
Posted By: rhodysail

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/17/10 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by rexdenton
Originally Posted by rhodysail

...a little birdie said exactly the same thing earlier today...Are you racing Roton this weekend?

nope, going to a friends wedding
HPDO is the next event

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/17/10 12:40 PM

I spoke to a little birdie yesterday that said he would like to get a regional match racing circuit going.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/17/10 12:41 PM

Screw the bird! What are you on about? Whatever it is Eustis would be a good place to roll it out.
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/17/10 05:12 PM

Thought I should try one with an F18:
[Linked Image]

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS - 09/23/10 06:04 PM

"Aussie catamaran guru Darren Bundock spotted in discussions with Emirates Team NZ's Grant Dalton and Dean Barker at the Audi MedCup Trapani"
http://twitter.com/dailysail_james/status/25328731268

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums