Catsailor.com

It's hard not to love Steve Clark

Posted By: Jake

It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 01:39 PM

It's great that finally center stage has given some light to Steve Clark - the mad man scientist of catamaran sailing! I only wish he had been able to prove how fast his boat was...what a racing tragedy this year's little AC was for him.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/international/2010/09/16/mainsail.extreme.sailing.bk.b.cnn

there are two more videos in this series - I'll try to find the links later this afternoon. I can't wait to see more.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 01:55 PM

Very cool Jake!
Posted By: pgp

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 01:55 PM

+1
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 02:24 PM

I guess we are all going to have to go over to Jake's new garage and start building wings. Good thing Jake built the larger version of the garage. I can here it already when stopping for fuel what happened to your other wing and what is that.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dlennard
I guess we are all going to have to go over to Jake's new garage and start building wings. Good thing Jake built the larger version of the garage. I can here it already when stopping for fuel what happened to your other wing and what is that.

If it's more than 34' tall, we'll have to build it in sections! ;-)

I'm starting with a winged R/C trimaran first...hopefully that will be my winter project.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 03:38 PM

Well, if this isn't a tear jerker....

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/international/2010/09/16/mainsail.new.york.yacht.club.bk.c.cnn
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 04:09 PM

Oliver and his family are truly some exceptionally great folks.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/19/10 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

It's great that finally center stage has given some light to Steve Clark ...what a racing tragedy this year's little AC was for him.

Agreed. But at least he is compensated by the other outcome of the Little AC: they made it to the America's Cup.

When he gave the canadians full access to Cogito his goal was to have oponents and revive the class. He got both. Winning is secondary.

Reg White must have felt about the same when a downscaled version of their C Cat made it to the Olympics.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/20/10 01:23 AM

holy keeee-rist those things are fast!

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 02:11 AM

I was thinking about this earlier today while mindlessly doing my job, and the silver lining to this whole deal is that while it absolutely sucks that he destroyed his wing I know for a fact that there were plenty of things that he would have done differently. I don't know the guy and this is more or less an observation in general, but anytime you build anything more complex than something out of LEGO's there is something that you would have done it differently. Especially true if its something developmental. I'm sure the more complex the project the more things that pop up regardless of the amount of thought that goes into it. Things that could have been made different, but require going through the actual process to make them seen or obvious.

The man does have a terrific attitude. I know I would've been inconsolable, and probably violently pissed off.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 02:34 AM

Oliver Moore raced with us at the A-class North Americans last week. A great kid. Its a bummer that he got smacked by a wave and knocked off Aetheon (the boat was a smidge too flat and he was a smidge too low). I predict Oliver might even put some leveling sanity into The Great One, Steve Clark. Seriously, Steve has shown me to be an interesting, thoughtful, even philosophical fellow in numerous discussions I have had with him at A-cat regattas on this very topic. With a manic side. Note that they were rolling the previous winning C-cat at the time of the wreck, while using their old Cogito wing. Steve will never quit trying to excel. And adding to the accolades- 2 honest, well-done interviews by the New York YC! I think the lady had never before been on a cat, and she loved it!
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by dacarls
I think the lady had never before been on a cat, and she loved it!

You mean Shirley Robinson? She has done a lot of racing on VX40s and is in fact the only person to have helmed both the cat and the tri from AC33.
Didnt Steve Clark in anger once chop the bow of his A-cat of with a daggerboard? (or was that someone else?).

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
[quote=dacarls]
Didnt Steve Clark in anger once chop the bow of his A-cat of with a daggerboard? (or was that someone else?).

Yep.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 12:42 PM

You mean Shirley Robinson? She has done a lot of racing on VX40s and is in fact the only person to have helmed both the cat and the tri from AC33.

That was Steve - but it's that passion (and possibly the eccentricity) that make people like him such a driving force in design and creativity.
Posted By: pepin

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 03:32 PM

The lady in question would spank you around buoys in the weapon of your choice.

She is twice gold medalist at the Olympics, 2000 and 2004. She was "only" fourth in 96. On monohulls, granted (Europe and Yngling). But since then she finished second at a fastnet and helmed eXtreme 40 on the eXtreme 40 circuit amongst other challenges.

[Linked Image]

I almost forgot: I've also heard she is the only person to have helmed *both* the Alinghi cat and the BMW Oracle tri...

Never before been on a cat, riiiight....

[I should read all of the thread before writing. It appear that someone already corrected you :)]
Posted By: Luiz

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

...while it absolutely sucks that he destroyed his wing I know for a fact that there were plenty of things that he would have done differently.

Karl

Aethon wasn't sailing with the new wing, but with the old one, from Cogito. The new one wasn't ready in time.

I guess they could race against Canaan with the new wing in a few weeks, if they wanted to. Anyway, Steve Clarke will have plenty of time to optimize his new wing and boat before the next LAC. He might also build something new.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 09:04 PM

When asked for his thoughts on the sudden death of a wing that had been the best the class had to offer for 11 years Clark was characteristically jovial. “That wing gave us everything it had,” said Clark. “The last time we sailed in heavy air, I told Duncan (MacLane, the wing’s designer), ‘if something goes wrong with the wing here I’m fine with it.’ It has done everything we asked of it for over a decade. If it goes down in flames so be it. At least now I don’t need to decide which museum to donate it to.”
Posted By: brucat

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 09:09 PM

I knew he cut it off, don't recall hearing that he did it with a daggerboard. That takes a special kind of "passion" (not to mention persistence)!

Or, is this just a case of the urban legend taking on a life of its own (every time it's told, it gets amped up)?

Mike

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by brucat

I knew he cut it off, don't recall hearing that he did it with a daggerboard. That takes a special kind of "passion" (not to mention persistence)!

Or, is this just a case of the urban legend taking on a life of its own (every time it's told, it gets amped up)?

Mike

No urban legend. He was upset at something that happened on the race course, came in beached the a-cat, rolled it up the hill, grabbed a daggerboard, and whacked a bow off.
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/21/10 11:24 PM

Saw the incident on the water and watched the modification being made to his A cat with the daggerboard.

Fred Smith

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 02:18 AM

More bad news for Steve. From Scuttlebutt.
"Scuttlebutt BREAKING NEWS: Tragedy finds American Steve Clark again as he breaks his new C Class boat AND a borrowed wing in a match against Fred Eaton (CAN), the 2010 International C-Class Catamaran champion."

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 03:05 AM

ouch, salt on the wound. sorry to hear that.

wonder what going through the ac engineers and rule makers minds who just all agreed to this format

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MN3

wonder what going through the ac engineers and rule makers minds who just all agreed to this format

"made you look" and made you so interested in it you talked about it....that's what is going through their minds.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by MN3

they sure did make me look, and talk about it...

"made you look" and made you so interested in it you talked about it....that's what is going through their minds.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 04:17 PM

here's the scoop from SA. Here's the thread.
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=113564&st=0

blunted
Posted Today, 10:34 AM
Cat-astrophe….

Following the I4C aka LAC in Newport last month everybody was left with one big question, “What would have happened if Steve and Oliver had competed?”
We were certainly curious about this question on our team as was Steve. So it was agreed a few weeks after the event that we would get together for a little sailing session to put these issues to bed. It was agreed that Steve would bring his platform to Toronto and Fred would lend them a wing for the session. Aethon would use our 2007 wing which was on Orion for the last event and we used to win in 2007, and Fred and I would sail Canaan in her Current configuration. So on Sunday evening Steve and Oliver arrived in Toronto with Aethon in tow at about the same time Fredo was taking his son the emergency room with a broken arm from a playground fall. Steve came to characterize this event as “The Closure Tour”.

Monday was spent setting up the boat and fitting the Canuck wing to her. Likewise Fred obviously had family things to attend to. The plan was some Tuesday sailing, Fred was not going to make it for Tuesday, but would be on board for the planned Wednesday and Thursday sailing.

So following lunch yesterday we saddled up to go out for a short afternoon spin in the lake. We had been watching the weather carefully as on Lake Erie it was blowing 20 and on Georgian bay it was 20 it was more than 100 KM in either direction of us and we were in a lot less breeze in between, but caution nevertheless. So we drifted through the harbor in 6 knots of breeze, turned the corner and found 10-12 right away. We sailed up the channel (Yes THAT channel) through some chop and headed out onto the lake.

Both boats tacked off of the beach and headed offshore, looking for some slightly flatter water. As Fred was not there I was driving Canaan and had Lawn Boy on the wing, so we were being extra cautious about everything, certainly not sailing at full bore. The breeze was now 12-14 with the odd puff higher than that. The breeze didn’t concern me all that much, it was the chop. It was running at 2-3’ and was stacked up pretty close fighting a slow current on this part of the lake.

As soon as the tender said it was blowing 15 steady, I said, “OK we’re all heading in”. If more breeze came in we would be running down in big short chop with the wrong guy on the back end of the boat so I was being careful. I figured we’ll manage the risk on the basis of the weak link, and that was me driving, not Steve and Ollie, a fully trained and well paired crew. We bore away, burned off some distance, did a chicken gybe and started the long run for home on a broad reach. Looking back upwind we saw Aethon stopped and doing some work. A few minutes later Rob spotted them about a half a mile or more behind us at pace. The tender was with them at the back of the pack herding us all to shore.
We were soon approaching the beach and had to do two more gybes to make the channel safely. Needless to say I had visions of our last crash there, in these conditions, firmly planted in my head so we talked it up on every wave. I commented on my empathy for Fred in these boats as when you are driving, you actually only have a very limited input as to the outcome of any wave. The guy on the sheet has all the control, it was utterly nerve racking driving the boat.

We were just about into the channel with one more gybe to pull off, we watched a huge Police RIB tear out of the harbor, as they so frequently do and they were heading straight to about where we last saw Steve. At this point we were speculating that Steve had tipped it in. A flat spot opened up in a puff, so we snapped in one last gybe and tore off into the safety of some flat water. We backed right off and started looking upwind, knowing it was probably futile. We took our time in the harbor hoping to see them come around the corner. The breeze started to pick up so I made the decision just to get the boat in, what ever had happened to them was done and our job was to get this rig on the beach. We punched the throttle and were doing 17 knots upwind in the harbor.

We got the boat out and the wing in the shed, (Thanks Rossi), I had to run for my kids as my wife was out on the RIB. As I hopped on the launch in the other direction I watched the Police RIB motor past to the club with one Aethon Hull onboard and the other towed behind, it’s beams dragging in the smooth water of the harbor.

Fred and I always characterize a main beam strap failure as our worst case scenario. If it goes, both beams will go instantly, and the wing will crater into the water as the wreckage of the boat runs over it. You will essentially blow the whole show. So seeing the hulls not flying in formation was a very bad sign. Lawnboy and I talked on the phone and confirmed the wing was indeed a write off.

Aethon had headed in after correcting a rudder issue and had been running down wind on a broad reach like us navigating the steep chop. Steve and Ollie were both on the trampoline when a beam broke, followed instantly by the other and the whole show crumpled folding them into the trampoline like a taco. They don’t know which beam broke first.

Big Show, Hogan and Nautichic made a valiant effort to save boat, people and wing. They called up reinforcements quickly but it was all for not. The police got there and gathered up the platform and Steve and Ollie. When they finally got the wing onto the rib it was already in rough shape. Half way in it flipped over right on top of them in a gust, all of them poking through the Clysar film between the ribs. In the short chop the ends of the wing were dragging in the water making steering almost impossible. Eventually they had to unload the whole thing on a beach in crashing surf, or risk a crash into a sea wall in crashing surf, which was the smart thing to do. Sadly however, following all the abuse, the wing was totally dead, a broken spar is the end for these wings.

A few phone calls later and Fred had the full update on the program. As always he was gracious and level headed about things. True to Fred’s nature he also wanted to know how we had been going upwind against the Yanks. They were going great, very well, they pulled out about 50 yards on us over a few miles. to be fair, I think with Fred and I sailing in our normal spots, the outcome would have been different, us faster then them, I cannot say, but not giving up what we were.

So for the balance of Tuesday evening there was discussion, there was analysis, there were more than a few moments of silence for our fallen friends, there were pints and Orange whips.

The “Closure Tour”, well, not quite yet….

MC

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MN3

"Let's not have him on our boat, until he gets his third..."

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/22/10 05:17 PM

thanks for repeating that post. It just goes to show that the existence of "the limit" cannot be determined without exceeding it upon occasion.

Re: It's hard not to love Steve Clark - 09/24/10 05:29 PM

Scuttlebutt now has Steve's version of the story...

TROUBLE IN TORONTO
With the America’s Cup moving toward winged multihulls, the C-Class
catamaran has been in the spotlight. Unfortunately for Steve Clark, who is
one of the godfathers of the class, his latest design Aethon (USA 104) has
recently experienced a couple of notable failures. The first was during the
2010 International C-Class Catamaran Championship (August 22-28) in Newport,
RI, when Clark and crew Oliver Moore capsized and destroyed their wing
seconds after the start of the first race. The latest was this week in
Toronto, where Clark had hoped to test Aethon (USA 104) against the winner
of the 2010 ICCC, Fred Eaton and Magnus Clarke on Canaan (CAN 9). Steve
picks up the story here:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We went to Toronto to sail with Fred and Magnus. Oliver and I were trying to
get some closure after crashing so spectacularly in Newport. How good is
this platform really? Fred wanted to know as well, so he agreed to loan us
the Orion (CAN 8) wing for a few days of two boat testing. It would not be
exactly a recreation of what could have happened in Newport, but it should
be mutually instructive.

We assembled and set out (on Tuesday, Sept. 21st), winds were south 12-15,
but the Lake Ontario sea state was doing its big confused wave thing. So
while it wasn't necessarily windy, it was pretty testing. Oliver and I don't
really agree on whether or not we would have been racing in those
conditions. Fred Eaton was in the middle of a family emergency, so Canaan
was being helmed by Magnus Clark with Rob Paterson as crew. They were
cautious because this is not their best team and so were showing an
abundance of caution.

After sailing upwind for several miles, we turned back toward the harbor.
Magnus was being very cautious with their varsity boat. I on the other hand
was trying to make Aethon go fast in a confused sea state. I had given a lot
of thought to this during the design process and so was testing how well
those compromises had worked. So we weren't just sailing back to the beach
but experimenting with different crew positions, sailing angles and wing
settings in order to get Aethon settled down and trucking.

About 2 miles from shore there was a loud crack/bang and the platform folded
up. The wing went down in between the bows and Oliver and I are the meat in
a wing nut taco. The rescue effort was difficult and ultimately not much of
the wing was salvaged. The Toronto Police were testing propellers on their
big RIB and were able to tow the broken platform to the safety of the RCYC.

We have not completed the forensic analysis of what went wrong. The Aethon
platform was subjected to several complete thrashings in the work up to
Newport and we were highly confident in it. The engineering was grounded on
actual loans taken from strain gauges bonded to the Cogito platform, and the
platform had been dry land tested to loads well above the loads recorded. So
either the beam was damaged in Newport or our understanding of the loads is
incorrect. Reviewing the tape of the capsize shows that could have damaged
the beam and that we should have retested the platform before sailing again.
I hope that in the next few days to get the local experts on fractured
carbon to examine the broken bits and give me an opinion. -- Scuttlebutt
Forum: http://forum.sailingscuttlebutt.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=10563
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums