Catsailor.com

Hull flying contest - advice please

Posted By: flumpmaster

Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/01/10 07:23 PM

My club is organizing a hull flying contest for a bit of fun after racing finishes for the day at a forthcoming event. Here is the draft format we came up with:
  • Two buoys a foot ball field apart, adjacent to the dike.
  • Competitors park up on one side of the course by the chase boat
  • Chase boat calls you in one at a time
  • You have to keep a hull up between the two buoys - If you touch down - you are out.
  • Everyone who flies a hull between the buoys goes on to the next round.
  • If no one is being knocked out the spacing between the buoys will be increased.
  • Last boat standing takes the pot ($5 to enter)

The dike is a long, flat structure that is perpendicular to prevailing wind - so the hull flying contest will take place right in front of the spectators on smooth water.

I'm looking for ideas and input on the format - do you think it will work? Have you organized something similar?

Chris.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/01/10 07:25 PM

Style points?

Trapeze acrobatics?
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/01/10 07:47 PM

Have two buoys set much closer together. Competitors must start flying a hull while between the two buoys. Chase boat times the hull flying. Each boat gets three runs (more or less depending on number of boats and time available). Average the times. Prizes for longest time, longest average time, style, closest to capsize, etc.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/01/10 07:55 PM

Do it naked.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/01/10 09:06 PM

Ban Prindle 18s and 16s - they will walk it!
Posted By: Devon

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/04/10 01:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbPAjGvIWno
Posted By: palmwolfe

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/04/10 03:37 PM

Not just flying a hull but also how high.
Posted By: Cheshirecatman

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/04/10 06:16 PM

No Hydrofoils!
Posted By: Devon

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/04/10 10:59 PM

Hahaha i win i win and i only used the mainsheet, dam camerman was in the way or i would had sailed right up and over that spit
Posted By: Opher

Re: Hull flying contest - advice please - 10/04/10 11:49 PM

We hold a hull flying contest in our annual End of Summer Happening in Israel. We use 2 formats:
Put balloons on a tall pole on a buoy. Competitors have to come close while flying as high as possible and pop a balloon with a pin. The highest balloon popped determines the winner. You have to carefully control boat entry into the area, otherwise near collisions tend to occur.
The second format is 2 buoys spaced about 100 yards appart, and whoever flies longest wins.
You can see the hull flying from minute 4 in this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLXJemv1-M
The happening also has a relay race, a round the rock race and a beer collection competition. All but the hull flying must have kids aboard each boat.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums