Looking for 18 Square Class Rules

Posted By: EdB

Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 10/12/10 01:28 AM

Ancient search huh?
Im trying to find the difference between
18m2 (Cat.1 Open) 18SM-1
&
18m2 (Cat.2 incl 11' N5.5) 18SM-1
Anybody got a copy or know where to go get the class rules?
Mike Colemans 18 sq site is gone.
Thanks!
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 10/12/10 02:41 AM

Try John Lindahl , he might have a copy of the rules.

Difference between Cat.1 & Cat.2 is weight I believe.
Posted By: lesburn1

Re: Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 10/14/10 12:50 AM

5.5 meters
18Sq meters of sail (193 +/- sq feet)
Cat 1 boats no min. weight
Cat 2 boats over 330 Lb.

Early on there was a dispensation for Tornado sailors that sailed solo w/o a jib.

Posted By: LCD

Re: Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 10/14/10 01:15 PM

Les is right on with the class rules. Sure would like to see a 200 lb. 18 square get built with a big head sail. Wild thing on that would be something else.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 10/14/10 03:12 PM

Dr. Palin (sailing PH.D.), from the Houston area built an all carbon 18sq. He sailed it many years. Not quite sure what it weighed, it was very light and very fast. He trailered it on his pop up camper, broken down. He would rig and break it down all by himself, very quickly I might add.

He sold it at least 4 years ago, don't know where it is now. A spin on that would have been awesome.
Posted By: Andrew

Re: Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 10/15/10 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Todd
Dr. Palin (sailing PH.D.), from the Houston area built an all carbon 18sq. He sailed it many years. Not quite sure what it weighed, it was very light and very fast. He trailered it on his pop up camper, broken down. He would rig and break it down all by himself, very quickly I might add.

He sold it at least 4 years ago, don't know where it is now. A spin on that would have been awesome.

Tammy and Jay Klassen bought Dr. Palin's masterpiece and took it to Ocean Springs, MS. It's now available for sale, or was at last report. Dennis told me once that it was just barely under the 330 lb limit; I've race against it quite a few times and it seemed sticky in light air---as soon as a hull started flying tho, look quick - it was GONE!
Posted By: lesburn1

Re: Looking for 18 Square Class Rules - 11/21/10 04:20 AM

So I was going through some boxes that I stored at my folks and came across a quote for an NACRA 18 sq meter from Pauline Christensen (wife of Chris Christensen) for $3,000 USD.
The year 1977.
Damn it's been a long time.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums