Catsailor.com

Sticker Crud

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 08:08 PM

Any recommendations for getting the sticky crud off that is usually left behind by stickers on the hull.

I use to use Goo Off in the past, but looking for something that is less toxic. Got a lot of stickers to remove.

Thanks
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 08:12 PM

I put goo off over the decals and heated it up a bit. They peeled off smoothly and left minimal residue.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 08:21 PM

Goo-Gone gel in the squirt bottle. Let it sit for a bit and use a hard plastic squeegee. Works great.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 08:45 PM

A citrus based cleaner will work well too (very similar to goo-gone). gentle heat will loosen as mentioned above.

Denatured alcohol will work slowwwwly. Acentone will work quiiiikly. Goo-gone is somewhere in the middle but probably more mild than either from a chemical standpoint.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 09:22 PM

I've also used Goo-Gone. Works great, but takes some time (as mentioned).

I've heard that a hair dryer or heat gun can also help (heat the vinyl as you remove it, most of the glue should come with it).

Mike
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 09:23 PM

Goof-off in the spray can. Add Heat gun. Rinse Repeat. I just took all the stickers off my hull and its quite a chore.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 09:31 PM

Xylene. It's the main ingredient in 3m Vinyl/Decal remover( which is great but expensive).
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
Any recommendations for getting the sticky crud off that is usually left behind by stickers on the hull.

I use to use Goo Off in the past, but looking for something that is less toxic. Got a lot of stickers to remove.

Thanks

Basically you have two choices...toxic or not.

The more toxic, the better and faster it will work.

If want want to be totally "green" you will just have to live with sticker gooo.

I am 66 years old and have been using acetone and similar solvents all my life and I am still here...caugh, caugh, hack.

The main thing we have learned is to use these solvents with respect, in good ventilation and perhaps with gloves.

The sailing we do is more risky than the chemicals we use (IMHO)

Just be careful out there.
Posted By: Matt_Z

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/12/10 10:54 PM

Don't know if it meets your toxicity requirement, but regular lighter fluid that you put in a zippo type lighter will get rid of it in an instant. Cheap too.
Don't think I'd use it on a sail, just on the hull.

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/13/10 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_Z
Don't know if it meets your toxicity requirement, but regular lighter fluid that you put in a zippo type lighter will get rid of it in an instant. Cheap too.
Don't think I'd use it on a sail, just on the hull.

I have actually seen this in action, but you need to clean it off real fast or it will hurt your gelcoat - so I have been told.

Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/13/10 01:25 AM

based on lots of experience is with old stickers, Acetone wins...hands down
but use in a well ventilated area
I apply it without gloves
What happens when acetone comes into contact with my skin?

Acetone is either slightly irritating or not irritating, based on animal and limited human information. Application of 1 mL of acetone in a small glass tube to six male volunteers for 30 or 90 minutes resulted in only mild redness and swelling at 90 minutes
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/13/10 03:35 AM

You all are wrong. MEK is the best. But wear nitril gloves and have good venelation. It will melt about anything including your liver.
Posted By: MUST429

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/13/10 03:38 AM

Thanks

I cannot believe it has not yet been said,

Buckets and Buckets of Acetone ! ! !
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 12:07 AM

I use to use Goo Off in the past, but looking for something that is less toxic. Thanks

The only thing less toxic than Goo Off is water. Good luck.

Man up...acetone or MEK.
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 02:07 AM

There is a completely non-toxic AND effective way to remove stickers or decals from you hulls. It's an eraser that fits in an electric drill. It looks like a grinding wheel except it's made of rubber. Leaves no residue or marks.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 02:48 AM

Yeah, my bodyman showed me that, and it works amazingly well.

Dave
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by hobiephil
There is a completely non-toxic AND effective way to remove stickers or decals from you hulls. It's an eraser that fits in an electric drill. It looks like a grinding wheel except it's made of rubber. Leaves no residue or marks.

An eraser?

Sounds Elementary to me!

;-)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by hobiephil

I've got one but it doesn't work well on old crusty graphics.

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MUST429

Thanks

I cannot believe it has not yet been said,

Buckets and Buckets of Acetone ! ! !

That only works on sails!

I got lucky this time out and the stickers came off pretty easy. I had went to the old stand by Goof Off, applied a generous amount of Goof Off using some old towels, turned the hull so it was facing into the sun for about an hour, came back with a razor blade and a plastic paint scraper and presto they came right off.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 05:11 PM

PETROL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/14/10 08:02 PM

What century are you people living in? If your boat has unwanted stickers on it throw it out and buy a new one.
Posted By: Keith

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/16/10 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
What century are you people living in? If your boat has unwanted stickers on it throw it out and buy a new one.

+1
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Sticker Crud - 11/16/10 03:50 PM

Depending on what glue it is, use:

Mineral Spirits
Lacquer Thinner
Acetone
Isopropyl alcohol
Denatured alcohol
epoxy remover
3m 5200 remover
xylene
Anhydrous ammonia

And finally hard work or heat, some glues are not soluble in anything you would want to touch your boat. The last 4 in my list should be tried on boats with extreme caution. They could soften if not remove gelcoat

The best stuff I have found is 3M decal or IPS decal remover. The formulation changes, they put a little bit of everything in it.

My preferred method is to use mineral spirits, then acetone, next 3m decal remover and finally a heat gun at no more than 200F

This is just going to get worse over time. I have seen new product announcements, that are really inert adhesives that use 10-100 ppm of acid on their surface to chemically bond to whatever you put them on. That's going to suck to get off.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums