Catsailor.com

Hooray!

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Hooray! - 12/24/10 07:26 PM

I finally got my double stack rack made. Hooray!

Picked it up from the fabricators this morning. I may have gone a bit overboard, had it built out of 3" by 3", 1/4" wall square tubing. Feet are 3/8" plate with gussets on all four corners. Should be able to handle a double stack. blush I made the verticals 80" apart, and I think it should've been a bit more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next project will be the sail boxes. They'll going to be a "T" shape, 8ft wide at the front at an angle to follow the V on the nose of the trailer, then they'll go in between the racks, should finish out 13' long at the longest point. Also ~26" tall. I've never heard anyone say that their sail box is too big. I want to be able to store three boats worth of parts, bits, and gear.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Hooray! - 12/24/10 07:41 PM

I used the same 3x3 aluminum - you won't be sorry.
Posted By: tback

Re: Hooray! - 12/25/10 01:13 PM

Karl,
congrats ... I'm envious.

How much did the double stack portion run you? How much for the T-Box?

Re: Hooray! - 12/25/10 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by tback
How much did the double stack portion run you?

Not sure yet on what the racks cost me. He estimated two days of labor at $65/hr, (call it 20hrs), so $1300 in labor, and there's about $5-600 in material. It'll probably be $1700 to $2k. I also had a stand for the back of the trailer made for a mast support at the back made out of 2"x2" square tubing with the same gusseted feet.

Originally Posted by tback
How much for the T-Box?

Haven't a clue yet. Hasn't been started. I want to make sure I like the dimensions of the rack before I get going on the box. If I change the rack it will effect the size of the box at the front. I also want to give it some time for idea's to stew for a bit. Rough guess though I'll have probably $2500+ into the box. It's gonna be flippin' huge, and it'll probably have to be split up into left and right pieces.
Posted By: tback

Re: Hooray! - 12/26/10 12:46 AM

I know it sounds expensive, but when you figure in that you'll have these accessories for the life of your sailing career ... the net cost per year is pretty inexpensive.

I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/26/10 11:28 PM

Anybody got any good idea's on how to get a Viper upside down and on a Capricorn? By yourself?

I got the Cap on there by myself easily enough. I'm thinking I might put the two together then drag it up onto the top rack. I'm going to put the two boats beam to beam. I bought some 2x10's, and 2x8's so I can make a cradle to hold them beam to beam. I still gotta get Brent's Infusion on there.

[Linked Image]

If you think loading boats sucks, give it a whirl when its 4F. At least it wasn't windy.
Posted By: Capt_Cardiac

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/27/10 01:12 AM

of course until the next big thing comes along and you have to sell everything for 20 cents on the dollar to feed the new obsession!!!! don't ask me how i know....
Posted By: arbo06

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/27/10 03:37 AM

Is Ocean Springs by the Beau? I was there on a golf/gamble trip and saw a beautiful beach and sailing area and thought I saw a club on the near end.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/27/10 01:54 PM

make the box big enough to sleep in and save hotel costs...
Posted By: AzCat

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/28/10 05:59 AM

I'm so glad I live in Arizona!

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/29/10 02:14 AM

I came to the conclusion there wasn't a chance in hell of me getting it done by myself, so I enlisted the help of some neighbors. It was still a bit of a bitch. Put the Cap on the ground, flipped over the Viper and set it on top, then heaved the whole mess up. Which actually wasn't too bad.

Dear Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Yahweh, and Peter Cottontail; Please no crosswinds for my trip. Thanks, Karl
[Linked Image]

Just a shade over ten feet tall. I'm betting I don't see over 11 mpg. I'm not towing that with that pickup. It has a tough time with one boat.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Timbo

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/29/10 02:03 PM

Better remember to watch your bottom on the overhead at the MacDonald's Drive Thru!
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: I'm open to ideas. Even bad ones... - 12/30/10 04:49 PM

Looks nice Karl

strap em good, check em in the mirror once in awhile, you'll be fine.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums