Catsailor.com

My thoughts and prayers go out to our friends 'Down Under'

Posted By: Todd_Sails

My thoughts and prayers go out to our friends 'Down Under' - 01/12/11 08:51 PM

While many places in the world see floods,
The media is showing us that Brisbane in Queensland Australia is being hit hard these days.

While none of my homes have ever flooded, I've lived very near areas that have flooded extrememly. Areas that had never been flood prone before.

I understand the main cupprit here is huge amounts of rain.

I hope all our friends here that live in this area are doing well. Media says 22 deaths so far. From the videos, those flodded businesses and homes are all but a total loss.

I hope you and your families are well.

Posted By: ACE11

Re: My thoughts and prayers go out to our friends 'Down Under' - 01/13/11 04:23 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Todd. We are doing it a bit tough at the moment. 14 confirmed dead and 72 missing. Searching is being hampered because rescuers simply can't access the worst areas. The water is covering an area greater than Germany and France combined or greater than Texas. It's just starting to improve a bit now, but it'll be grisly when the water goes down. I'm OK but plenty of friends are buggered. We'll come back though. Not much sailing for the next little while I think.
I was the organisor for the recent Australian A Class nationals and we were lucky to have the week completed just before all this happened. Everyone got out and back to their States and overseas - very lucky.
We need to be tough for a while now - our community is responding magnificently by helping anyone and everyone who needs it. Government response has been swift and re-assuring but the recovery will be long and hard.
Have a sail or a rum for us.

Cheers
John Dowling
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums