Catsailor.com

Boat Insurance Threads?

Posted By: srm

Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/19/11 10:54 PM

Can anyone recommend any threads regarding boat insurance? I know it's been discussed before, but doing a search for "insurance" gives about eight pages of mostly drill-baby-drill nonsense.
I'm looking into purchasing insurance for two of my boats and the quotes I've received so far are all over the place.

Thanks.

sm
Posted By: pgp

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 12:26 AM

http://www.progressive.com/
Posted By: srm

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 01:33 AM

Of all the quotes I've gotten so far, Progressive has been the highest premium with the least coverage.

sm
Posted By: popeyez7

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 01:39 AM

~~ I went with Boat US... Progressive was to high, and another one I called didn't know what a 'catamaran' was??
(Glad I'am not trying to get my Ice sailing boat insured....) (They wouldn't have a clue!!)
short season anyway !!!!!! frown
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 05:49 AM

We have used Pemco http://www.pemco.com/welcome.aspx
For our Cat's and power boats for over 30 years. Great service and prices.
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 01:32 PM

I have had Allstate for about 15 years, on my Wave and on my Interlake before that. About $70 per year, and the policy specifically DOES cover racing (for sailboats only). The price may be lower since I have my house and car with them also (but it is a separate policy), and I've never filed a claim on it.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 06:06 PM

AAA for us.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 06:32 PM

+1 for allstate
i carry 7k for my cat, with a $500 deductable. it runs about $350/year.

BoatUS wouldn't offer me 7k in insurance and was expensive (imho)
Posted By: barbshort

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/20/11 08:07 PM

ussailing.org
yes, you have to pay a small fee to be a member to get the insurance, but it's well worth it.
Posted By: ADDICTION

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/21/11 04:37 AM

I got mine thru Boat Us. They actually knew what a Hobie 18 catamaran was. They also insure for organized racing.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/22/11 12:55 AM

we have a very reasonable rate with American Family

most consistent thing I've found is the older the boat is, the more difficult & more expensive it becomes to insure. Seems counter intuitive, why wouldn't older = cheaper? but at some point in age most underwriters think just because it's a boat, it's going to sink. frown
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Boat Insurance Threads? - 01/24/11 05:13 PM

and, possibly because the policy is written on a replacement cost basis, so you'd be getting a "functionally equivalent" boat if you lost yours. New boats can be expensive.

Other things affecting your 'rates':
- your credit score
- your sailing area
- your location
- your driving record (more boats are lost while in transit than while sailing...)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums