Catsailor.com

speed puck

Posted By: pgp

speed puck - 03/02/11 08:56 PM

It it worth the money?
Any problems?
Posted By: John Williams

Re: speed puck - 03/02/11 10:07 PM

Love it. Good for training, espesh if your partner has one. Great info while on the boat without clutter. It was the logical next step up from the TacTic Micro with data download and *you can change the battery.*

Re: speed puck - 03/02/11 10:33 PM

Thank you sir.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 02:10 AM

The Speed Puck guys area couple of Stanford engineers that decamped for the North shore of Maui to be wind surfers. They've brought their products to field test at LYC regattas. They work well and are continually being updated.

They also have a web site that's closely monitored for customer input and feedback.

http://www.velocitek.com/about/contact/
Posted By: Sloansailing

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 04:40 AM

Why get speedpuck when you can get the prostart? Two lines of data, and the distance to line tool.

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 12:21 PM

Money.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 12:46 PM

What do the F16 rules say about GPS devices? Allowed to use?
Posted By: Sloansailing

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Money.

Yeah I thought that too, until I looked into all the features of the ProStart. It is a WAY better tool than the Puck, and while more expensive, the saying is true, you get what you pay for. Save your pennies for a few months, it will be worth it for the few years you are using the tool.

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 03:35 PM

"What do the F16 rules say about GPS devices? Allowed to use?"

I don't think so but I'm too lazy to find a cite. I'm thinking more as a training tool anyway.
Posted By: orphan

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 04:32 PM

What's the best way to mount? I considered on the Spin pole but does it interfer with the self tacking jib.

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 05:27 PM

I've no idea. The ones I've seen are on the spin pole.
Posted By: pepin

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 05:45 PM

I got a speedpuck and a prostart. I install them on my spin pole halfway between the beam and the place it goes below the stays. When I sail two up with the jib it barely clear the top of the speedpuck. I think that on modern F18 with high aspect jibs and a self tacker there is not enough space there.

I like both but I prefer the speedpuck:

• The prostart is big. If you have a jib you're going to struggle to find a place to put it on a beach cat
  • I'm afraid to lose the prostart. It doesn't have a hole to secure a line to it and its support can unlock if a line gets wrapped the wrong way around it. Unlikely but possible.
  • Due to its placement I can't reach the buttons on the prostart to mark the start line and start the timer, this makes the added complexity of the prostart useless as I only use the speed and the lift/header indicator anyway.

The prostart is a really nice improvement on the SC-1, fixing all the issues the SC-1 had with the buttons, it's slick, easy to read and easy to use.

The only issue really is where to put it so you can press the buttons! What I want now is a remote I can attach to my buoyancy aid to pilot it from anywhere on the boat...

If you want to try a S10, a SC-1, a SpeedPuck or a ProStart just come to Datchet (next to London, UK) for our Fast Cat Open (19/20 March) and ask me for a loaner.

Disclaimer: I was provided the devices free of charge by Velocitek as I wrote part of the Mac software used to talk to the device.

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
GPS devices are allowed by the F16 rules.

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pepin
GPS devices are allowed by the F16 rules.

Oh. blush

What, exactly, do you use the speedpuck for?
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 09:24 PM

I have a Garmin 301 that I wear on my wrist. I can display up to four data windows from a list of selections (eg. speed, heading, distance to mark, vmg). It cost $99 and is waterproof. I can easily "ping" the ends of the starting line if I want to get distance or time to either end but I do not use that except for big boat racing. It is very accurate and always with you as well and I highly recommend this device. Besides tactical uses, add a good radio to your person and you are in pretty good shape for serious safety situations.
Posted By: TEH

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 09:36 PM

Pete,

I have a speedpuck and find it useful, but I find me head in the boat a little too much when I use it. I have to make sure to pay attention not to do that too much. I mount it on the spin pole. I sail uni, but Karl uses it two up so ask him about placement. I mainly use the speed reading, but I do pay attention to the lift/header indicator bars. I don't use the speedpuck software. I do use Gpsar software because I like the detail I can export with that software. CRAW uses Kettack and I also have a Garmin for that which supplies me with pretty much the same data.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 10:00 PM

Mines maybe six inches behind the forestay, mounted on the spinnaker pole.

Its just far enough forward that it clears the block for the jib sheet. I'm not sure I'd really want it much farther back, as when I'm trapped out singlehanded and I'm way forward I can't see the darn thing. Not that it really matters as I'm probably hardly looking unless I think I'm doing something wrong or I'm digging for more power.
Posted By: CatSailingHu

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 10:17 PM

SC-1 on the spin pole:

Attached picture Copy of SC-1_3.jpg
Attached picture Copy of SC-1_2.jpg

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 10:18 PM

Actually, I'm using a Garmin 301 and I'm trying to decide if the Puck is worth the extra money.

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 10:35 PM

later on I completed my setup with a small bungee on boot side of the forestay to prevent the spin sheet occasionally stuck under the unit.

Attached picture sc-1-4.jpg
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 11:29 PM

I DO hope you all know that I sell them on this website's store. Here is the link
https://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=32306&idcategory=0

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 11:29 PM

Nice set up.
Posted By: Brian P

Re: speed puck - 03/03/11 11:53 PM

has anyone ever lost one from the mounting velcro?
do you use a recovery lanyard of some sort?
i intend to mount mine on the kite pole, but worried about a kite sheet or jib sheet wrapping around it aqnd sending it into the big blue.
Posted By: taipanfc

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 05:14 AM

Problems to note:

If you are completely turtle then water getting in these units is a big concern, as it means the unit is phucked then.

Also the prostart doesn't have a bit to tie a rope/lanyard onto as a safetly line, depends on the velcro to hold it. Expensive to lose. Also at the moth worlds guys were having issues with water getting in the battery section. Best to use some vaseline on the seal to ensure water doesn't creep in.
Posted By: Brian P

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 11:55 AM

cheer bro

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 12:33 PM

When I have some time I want to do a gps overlay on some gopro sailing footage, so you can actually know how fast you go when you do what.
I looked at the iphone as well for a sailing instrument and actually think its ideal, it has a gps, camera, data connection and a lot of other sensors like a gyro.
Maybe also thinking about putting this into some sort of dashboard with a video overlay.
If you have an iphone 3gs or 4 this free app registers everything the sensors do:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xsensor/id345145166?mt=8

A speedometer like the speedpuck looks interesting but speed alone would not give enough information without having something to compare it with (like maybe your speed on this side of the course on the previous lap or something).

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 12:58 PM

My biggest concern is sailing the best course to weather, speed seems to me the major component.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
My biggest concern is sailing the best course to weather, speed seems to me the major component.

IMHO the best way to improve your upwind performance is to practice with another boat most similar to yours side by side and see who is quickest, make some changes if you are slower, and try again.
The gps will show your speed but you wont know if the number shown is "good" because of changing conditions like wind, current, waves etc.
It could be useful to download the data to a PC though, you can see your tacking angles and tack-to-tack speed.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 01:57 PM

Practicing with another boat is impractical, there are none nearby.

And I'm unable to upload data from my last outing with my 301, which brings me back to the original question.

I'm trying to contact Garmin which is not nearly as easy as it should be imo.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 03:10 PM

My .02 is that if you want to study after the race, the Garmin is fine. If you want feedback during the race and to study after, then speedpuck is a good option. I haven't used anything else, but it's easy to see, gives you speed and shows the shifts.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 03:14 PM

My biggest complaint with the Garmin is that it doesn't work and tech support is... tedious?

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 04:03 PM

Can you be more specific about your garmin problem?

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 04:12 PM

It won't upload to my pc. At first it simply showed that little "busy circle" saying it was uploading, but never finished. Now my pc is not detecting the device at all.

My first outing with it was fine. I uploaded problem free and was able to review the data and actually locate some problems with my sailing, but nothing since.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brian P
has anyone ever lost one from the mounting velcro? do you use a recovery lanyard of some sort? [...]
There is velcro and velcro. The positive lock on that velcro is incredible and I've never had any device move once stuck in place. I use a lanyard on all the devices if there is a spot to attach one anyway, aka on all but the prostart.

The prostart has its own support that can be screwed in and the devices clips in it. It's fairly solid but a line can get wrapped around the release...
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 04:47 PM

pete, you may benefit more on your upwind practice with VMG rather than outright speed. I've heard people set imaginary waypoints on the GPS and sail upwind for a while noting their VMG when they change things (direction, settings, etc)

I'd bet someone's got something that will show TWD, Apparant, TWS, SOG, etc. that will fit on a dingy/beachcat...

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 04:58 PM

Right now I'd settle for something simple and reliable. frown

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 05:57 PM

Puk it - the simplicity of the puk is what makes it so useful. Use speed or heading on the display combined with the header/lift graphic; one quick glance is all it takes and trends are very evident. The download is gravy for the debrief. The fun is everyone displaying max speed at the end of the day and dropping it on the tramp to see who pissed biggest. I love my Puk.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 06:01 PM

http://www.velocitek.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=404

For me, reliability is the key. I don't have much patience for balky equipment.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 06:10 PM

I have two - they've both downloaded fine, although I only use one of them with any regularity. The vast majority of reviews on Velocitek devices is overwhelmingly positive.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 10:32 PM

The velcro is very tough on the speed puck, but I have found it has worn over the years and is not as strong now. I always tie the lanyard to the spin pole. I did have it come loose once in a crash and was glad I did.

Re: speed puck - 03/04/11 10:35 PM

There is a video on Youtube that shows how easy it is to use the speedpuck. As far as GPS are concerned, I can't imagine how anything could be easier.

Never had an issue with an upload.
Posted By: Keith

Re: speed puck - 03/05/11 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Puk it - the simplicity of the puk is what makes it so useful. Use speed or heading on the display combined with the header/lift graphic; one quick glance is all it takes and trends are very evident. The download is gravy for the debrief. The fun is everyone displaying max speed at the end of the day and dropping it on the tramp to see who pissed biggest. I love my Puk.

What he said. I use mine to also satisfy the compass requirement for distance racing. I also have a GPS on me, but in general messing with it while driving is bad. Can read the big numbers at a glance. I took the $$ route and bought two, and stuck one on either side of the boom. Can easily hit the buttons to switch modes, nothing up front to hang on stuff. I've added the velcro to the cabin sides of my F-27 and use the dual Pucks there too - can't see the instruments from the floats, can see the pucks... There are some sweet tacking brackets that folks come up with to mount aft of the mast.

I have an SC-1, and it's nice but it never helped out much on the 20. We had a bracket that mounted to one side of the front beam. During Tybee the salt spray continually changed the settings, and then a wave took it off the velcro. Got to it as it went bouncing along the tramp. Another time at the end of an Annapolis-Oxford a spin set got a line on it and flung it up in the air and overboard. Man overboard! So the velcro can be defeated, lash things if you don't want to lose them.
Posted By: Baltic

Re: speed puck - 03/05/11 11:58 AM

When I have some time I want to do a gps overlay on some gopro sailing footage, so you can actually know how fast you go when you do what.
I looked at the iphone as well for a sailing instrument and actually think its ideal, it has a gps, camera, data connection and a lot of other sensors like a gyro.
Maybe also thinking about putting this into some sort of dashboard with a video overlay.
If you have an iphone 3gs or 4 this free app registers everything the sensors do:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xsensor/id345145166?mt=8

A speedometer like the speedpuck looks interesting but speed alone would not give enough information without having something to compare it with (like maybe your speed on this side of the course on the previous lap or something).

Actually, I'd love to the same - but why do you think, an iPhone could be solution? First, I assume you just get two files (.gpx and .mov), which you have to combine and align somehow. Secondly, can you run an app and the camera at the same time? Third, how are you going to mount the phone secure and waterproof - in a way that you can touch the screen? I'll upload soon a video from my GoPro where we capsize into a turtle ...
I have the camera and I have a Garmin 301 which supplies all necessary data. What I dream of is a 4 segment split screen: footage, speed (or VMG), course, and wind direction and speed. Remains a dream, I guess.

Re: speed puck - 03/05/11 03:20 PM

iDry Waterproof Phone Case for iPhone 3G / 3GS /4

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Baltic

Re: speed puck - 03/07/11 02:14 PM

... didn't know about this device, thanks! However, it's still not safely mounted.

Re: speed puck - 03/08/11 10:24 PM

I have a speed puck but for race analysis I really like the Kattack approach:
1. Uses cheap GPS (does not work with Speedpuck)
2. Everyone turns in their unit so you can see how you compare to other racers. You learn a lot more than just looking at your own tracks.
3. You can upload the races to the web where anybody can watch them.

Velocitek has their own priprietary software that does the same thing, but it supports only the velocitk units and I don't think there is anyway to upload to the web.

Kattack is good for a club or people that regularly race against each other.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums