Catsailor.com

2011 Everglades Challenge is started

Posted By: Vladimir

2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/05/11 02:26 PM

Unsurprisingly it is a Battle between Tornado team "Bumpy(aka Jamie Livingston)and MachoMan (aka Kenny Pierce)" and Randy Smyth on his trimaran (Sewsew).
There are also two Weta trimarans, two Hobie 18, bunch of Hobie Adventure Islands, and a few homebuilt boats.

In class 4 (sailing monohulls) Allan Stewart with his father
"DancesWithSandyBottom (aka Paul Stewart)and SOS(aka Alan Stewart)" are leading with brothers Gougeons "Yellowthing
(aka Meade Gougeon)and sawhorse(aka Jan Gougeon)" on I505 close behind.
Since every boat in the challenge has running SPOT, race progress can be watched in real time on this page
http://watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeMapper.aspx?RaceID=EC2011
To make a sense "who is sailing what" you can get info from this page
http://watertribe.com/Events/ShowRosters.aspx, choose EC2011.

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/05/11 03:19 PM

Right on. Go Bumpy and macho man, and of course Alanosaurus.
Posted By: pgp

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/05/11 11:02 PM

Any updates?

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/05/11 11:34 PM

I keep them all on SA
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=119477

Basically - Randy is first. Tornado - second. There are a few boats approaching checkpoint one. IT is interesting to watch if AndrieO - fastest paddler will bit Weta trimaran to checkpoint 1
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/06/11 02:58 PM

I think the tracking page is now broken.

Randy is still leading Jamie and Kenny in light upwind conditions.

I helped get Bumpy and Macho ready for the race. I took some vid of the start and a walk around of sew sew that I'll try to get up on my site today.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/06/11 06:11 PM

Randy's last update shows 6:49 am, but Bumpy and Mac ho's is updating regularly.Maybe you shoulda prepped 'em better.
Thanks for the info, look forward to the vids.
Posted By: windswept

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/06/11 06:39 PM

I hope that Randy has worked things out and can finish this year. He has had difficulties in the last two events.

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/06/11 07:29 PM

I guess that Randy forgot to restart the dumb SPOT. It shuts down every 24 hours. It need to be manually reset for another 24 hours. Since Randy is out of cellphone range now, we have to only guess there he is.

Re: 2011 Everglades Challenge is started - 03/06/11 07:32 PM

Actually Randy did alright last challenge. He finished 2-nd but he got a 24 hours penalty for not paying attention to watertribe rules. With penalty he dropped one position down to third. As if anybody care.
Posted By: H17cat

Re: 2010 Everglades Challenge Results - 03/08/11 02:58 AM

Results, last year http://watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeResults.aspx
Posted By: H17cat

Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/08/11 04:49 AM

Current results, select 2011. http://watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeResults.aspx
Posted By: Jake

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/08/11 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by H17cat

They don't show Jamie/Kenny or Randy finishing yet in their 2011 results...I wonder why that is?

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/08/11 08:50 PM

Randy arrived just before midnight on Sunday, finishing in under 41 hours. Bumpy and Machoman (Tornado) made it 15 min or so later.
Alan Steward with his dad finished third, at about 1 am today.
There is another sailboat (Lighting by looks) finished not too long ago (4th) and solo sailor on homebuilt trimaran(5th.) I guess, starting tonight, there will be steady stream of finishers of all types, many kayakers are closing in.

Challenge run by volunteers, second and third checkpoints don't have reliable cell connection and website is not keeping up with growth of interest and popularity of Watertribe.
Results will be there. After all Challenge is not over yet.
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/09/11 05:10 AM

Did Randy take a penalty for something? On the site they have him finishing in 3 days, 1 hour, 50 minutes while Livingston and Pierce are in at 1 day, 2 hours, 12 minutes. Perhaps the 3 days is supposed to be 1 day?

Actual finish times are still pretty impressive for all involved and congrats on finishing the challenge!

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/09/11 08:37 AM

It is last year result. Yes, he got 24 hrs penalty in 2010.
This year results don't show Sewsew and Bumpy yet. I guess it is because they outrun race officials to checkpoints and now there is no paper trail of actual times, so their time need to be verified by SPOTS. With 80 boats spread over 300 miles, my guess is that race volunteers are pretty busy right now.
They should resolve the issue by weekend.
Again, it is my guess, I'm not there.
Posted By: catman

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/09/11 01:38 PM

I can't seem to find it, How much was registration for this event?

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/09/11 02:12 PM

$350 per person
Posted By: catman

Re: Current Everglades Challenge Results - 03/10/11 12:48 AM

Not trying to pee on anyone's parade but 80 people @ 350 is um $28,000! Seems to me they could afford to pay a someone to be at the checkpoints.

Nice business by the way.
Posted By: nosex

Re: 2010 Everglades Challenge Results - 03/10/11 12:17 PM

Oh yes
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums