Catsailor.com

Progressive does not insure Infusion's????

Posted By: JACKFLASH

Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/16/11 09:08 PM

Progressive insurance says they do not insure Performance Catamarans except for two models because "they are designed for speed and are primarily used for racing". Interesting though that they will insure a Wild Cat.
Posted By: tback

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/16/11 11:58 PM

I have Progressive and i explicitly stated that I will be racing the F16.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 11:54 AM

likewise with my A-cat and my previous F18. I have Progressive and have been quite happy with them even through one claim.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 12:29 PM

+1
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 12:40 PM

Insurance companies will vary by state. Some are considered higher risk than others. Did tomko have progressive when he wrecked his infusion? Ha
Also some insurance companies consider 2 levels of racing, theres what most of do and then pro level racing where money is involved, make sure they don't think you don't mean the later or if they will insure you it will be more exspensive
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 12:58 PM

My local All State never asks, and I don't tell. If there is a claim I also would not explain that I was on port tack in a race. Frankly, I don't think they care. However, knock on wood, so far no claims.
BTW, I heard George Soros owns Progressive. I have not heard many good things about him.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by RickWhite
My local All State never asks, and I don't tell. If there is a claim I also would not explain that I was on port tack in a race. Frankly, I don't think they care. However, knock on wood, so far no claims.
BTW, I heard George Soros owns Progressive. I have not heard many good things about him.

Word! (+1)

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 02:53 PM

I disagree. Every policy I've ever purchased, I've been sure that it covers racing. Nothing would be worse to have something like that end a claim if it came up. At least the last time I got a policy (two years ago) finding an insurance policy that covers a sailboat while racing was quite easy and not expensive. My Progressive policy for my A-cat and my Hunter monoslug covers racing and it's about $250 / year.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 03:31 PM

Collin, you may want to check with Beuerlein to see who he had insurance with. He might be the cause of this.

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 05:40 PM

<****. I am also waiting on quotes through several other companies but our first race is less than 48 hours away and I have to be insured per the NOR.
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 05:42 PM

AAA insures...we like them.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 05:43 PM

I got a quote from USS and it was cheap, until they added in the part about hurricances.

It's worth asking them for a quote.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 05:49 PM

When my state farm agent didn't want to insure my boat, I asked him a simple question that led him to go research the policy deeper.

I said ... "Would you not insure a farmer's tractor if he told you that he was going to use it to plow his fields? You don't buy a high performance catamaran if you're not going to race it. The whole purpose it exists is to race."

Which, is not entirely true, but it planted the seed of disbelief in his head that caused him to actually, you know, read the policy.

If worse comes to worst, you can go with the US Sailing insurance. I believe they insure F18's of all flavors.

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
When my state farm agent didn't want to insure my boat, I asked him a simple question that led him to go research the policy deeper.

I said ... "Would you not insure a farmer's tractor if he told you that he was going to use it to plow his fields? You don't buy a high performance catamaran if you're not going to race it. The whole purpose it exists is to race."

Which, is not entirely true, but it planted the seed of disbelief in his head that caused him to actually, you know, read the policy.

If worse comes to worst, you can go with the US Sailing insurance. I believe they insure F18's of all flavors.

I'm sure they look at it like a NASCAR team asking someone to insure one of their stock cars...

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 09:56 PM

The whole thing is crazy. I would trust a racing sailor with a boat before a recreational reacher. The boat is in safer hands and with someone that knows the rules.
Most of the claims come from rec sailors.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
I disagree. Every policy I've ever purchased, I've been sure that it covers racing. Nothing would be worse to have something like that end a claim if it came up. At least the last time I got a policy (two years ago) finding an insurance policy that covers a sailboat while racing was quite easy and not expensive. My Progressive policy for my A-cat and my Hunter monoslug covers racing and it's about $250 / year.

I just switched my N-20
from Us Sailing's deal to progressive(who already insured my A cat) and it was about half what B,G&B (US sailing) wanted. I insured both for about $60 more than what just the N-20 was. This was also with full racing disclosure for coverage.

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/17/11 11:41 PM

From what I am hearing you are helping MOveon.org and George Soros. Some think he is not a good person for the USA. I personally don't know.

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/18/11 12:48 AM

From what I am hearing you are helping MOveon.org and George Soros. Some think he is not a good person for the USA. I personally don't know.

I'm not sure about that(I'll look into it), but I do know it's helping me have an extra couple hundred bucks in my pocket instead of being fleeced by USS.

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/18/11 01:15 AM

I assure you that somewhere you will be able to find someone who thinks someone else is not good for the country.

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/18/11 03:28 PM

Progressive is now insureing the boat. Apparently they had it in their mind it was a powered race craft. I am not sure what part of sailboat they didn't understand but it is all cleared up now. 366 per year at 20k agreed upon value. And yes, they cover it while it is racing as long is I don't turn on the engine.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/18/11 03:50 PM

Glad you'll be keeping the engine off. That gives us a chance to beat you smile

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/19/11 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JACKFLASH
Progressive is now insureing the boat. Apparently they had it in their mind it was a powered race craft. I am not sure what part of sailboat they didn't understand but it is all cleared up now. 366 per year at 20k agreed upon value. And yes, they cover it while it is racing as long is I don't turn on the engine.

I figured it was something like that.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/21/11 02:16 PM

I was insuring my N20 (back then it was an I-20) and the Progressive agent kept asking "and how big is the galley?".

To this day, I still peek in the inspection port of any N20 just to check to see if they didn't put one in there....

Probably could have used one at Macho last weekend to make dinner...
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/23/11 06:33 PM

Just renewed my boat policy. $250k in liability, $24k agreed to value on the boat, $6k agreed to value on the trailer.

$330 a year through Progressive.
Posted By: yurdle

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/24/11 03:44 AM

I just set up mine with progressive as well. $179/year premium, plus an $81/year multi policy discount (making it effectively $98/year), for $250 deductible, $5k agreed value including trailer for a '90 N5.5SL.
Posted By: catman

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/24/11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I was insuring my N20 (back then it was an I-20) and the Progressive agent kept asking "and how big is the galley?".

To this day, I still peek in the inspection port of any N20 just to check to see if they didn't put one in there....

Probably could have used one at Macho last weekend to make dinner...

We had an extra sandwich and beverage....you just had to come back to get it smile
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Progressive does not insure Infusion's???? - 03/28/11 06:25 PM

I knew that was you! Great job, by the way.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums