Posted By: Robi

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 12:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PTP

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 01:02 AM

yeah, it is getting old.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 06:09 AM

Sorry Pete but you are going on ignore...
Posted By: pgp

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 10:07 AM

As of this writing, there are 55 views of this thread. If you and Robi can convince me those are bots or people who share your views, I'll stop posting on this subject.

But, as long as I believe people are reading, I'll keep posting.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 10:52 AM

Pete,
A polite suggestion:
Why don't you start your own blog or do it on facebook. That would let you know how many people are really interested in your topic vs. how many people are watching you get picked apart. That should either fill your narcissistic needs or give you a reality check. It's actually kind of sad, because this is a SAILING forum.

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 11:13 AM

Here's what I'll do. If I don't get some positive response, in the open, by midnight tonight I'll stop.
Posted By: Buccaneer

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 11:41 AM

YOU seem to be very interested and in fact enough so to read and write a comment. grin grin

So why don't you start your own blog or do it on facebook. That would let you know how many people are really interested in your complaining. That should either fill your narcissistic needs or give you a reality check. It's actually kind of sad, boo hoo.. frown
Posted By: Jake

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 11:45 AM

I'm viewing the thread periodically for the sparring - not for it's original subject. Personally, I don't care to see non-sailing-related stuff on here (so don't count this as positive).

under foot... - 03/21/11 11:56 AM

banking and finance? wink

Our Enemy, the Fed

by Ron Paul

Before the US House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services Monetary Policy and Rising Prices, March 17, 2011

There is perhaps no topic as important to the average American today as rising prices. Whether we consider food, gasoline, or clothing, the cost of living is increasing significantly. At a time of high unemployment, rising prices trap American families between a rock and a hard place. While rising prices colloquially are referred to as "inflation," true inflation is defined as an increase in the money supply, and all other things being equal, an increase in the money supply leads to a rise in prices. Inflation is and always has been throughout history a monetary phenomenon, and its destructive effects have ruined societies from the Roman Empire to Weimar Germany to modern-day Zimbabwe.

Blame for the most recent round of price increases has been laid at the feet of the Federal Reserve's program of quantitative easing, and rightly so in my opinion. This program, known as QE2, sought to purchase a total of $900 billion in US Treasury debt over a period of 8 months. Roughly $110 billion of newly created money is flooding into markets each month, markets which still have not fully recovered from the financial crisis of the last few years. Banks still hold billions of dollars in underperforming mortgage-backed securities on their books, securities which would render numerous major banks insolvent if they were "marked to market." These nervous banks are hesitant to loan out further money, instead holding well over a trillion dollars on reserve with the Fed. Is it any wonder, then, that the Fed's new hot money is flowing into commodity markets?

The price of cotton is up more than 170% over the past year, oil is up over 40%, and many categories of food staples are seeing double-digit price growth. This means that food, clothing, and gasoline will become increasingly expensive over the coming year. American families, many of whom already live paycheck to paycheck, increasingly will be forced by these rising prices into unwilling tradeoffs. Rising prices lead to consumers purchasing ground beef rather than steak, drinking water rather than milk, and choosing canned vegetables over fresh. Clothes are worn until they are threadbare, in order to conserve money that keeps food on the table and pays the heating bill. While some might argue that this new frugality is a good thing, frugality is virtuous only when it results from free choice, not when it is forced upon the citizenry by the Fed's ruinous monetary policy.

While the Fed takes credit for the increase in the stock markets, it claims no responsibility for the increases in food and commodity prices. Even most economists fail to understand that inflation is at root a monetary phenomenon. As the supply of money increases, more money chases the same amount of goods, and prices rise. There may be other factors that contribute to price rises, such as famine, flooding, or global unrest, but these effects on prices are always short-term, not long-term. Consistently citing rising demand, bad weather, or energy supply uncertainty while never acknowledging the effects of monetary policy is a cop-out. Governments throughout history have sought to blame price increases on bad weather, speculators, and a whole host of other factors, rather than acknowledging the effects of their inflationary monetary policies. Indeed, tyrants of many stripes have debased their nations' currencies while denying responsibility for the suffering that results.

The unelected policymakers at the Fed are also the last to feel the effects of inflation, in fact, they benefit from it, as does the government as a whole. Inflation results in a rise in prices, but those who receive this new money first, such as government employees, contractors, and bankers are able to use it before prices begin to increase, while those further down the totem pole suffer price increases before they see any of this new money. By reducing the purchasing power of the dollar, the Fed's monetary policy also harms savers, encouraging reckless indebtedness and a more present-oriented pattern of consumption. Hard work and thrift are punished, so economic actors naturally respond by spending more, borrowing more, and saving less. After all, why save rapidly depreciating dollars?

We must also remember that those policymakers who exercise the most power over the economy are also the least likely to understand the effects of their policies. Chairman Bernanke and other members of the Federal Open Market Committee were convinced in mid-2008 that the economy would rebound and continue to grow through 2009, even though it was clear to many observers that we were in the midst of a severe economic crisis. Chairman Greenspan before him was known for downplaying the importance of the growing housing bubble, even while it was reaching its zenith. It remains impossible for even the brilliant minds at the Fed to achieve both the depth and breadth of knowledge necessary to enable centralized economic planning. As Friedrich von Hayek stated in his Nobel Prize address:

"The recognition of the insuperable limits to his knowledge ought indeed to teach the student of society a lesson of humility which should guard him against becoming an accomplice in men's fatal striving to control society – a striving which makes him not only a tyrant over his fellows, but which may well make him the destroyer of a civilization which no brain has designed but which has grown from the free efforts of millions of individuals."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul727.html

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:01 PM

Is that "+" or "-"?
Posted By: soccerguy83

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:02 PM

I agree completely with Jake on this one! Not positive, but I keep checking in to see what others are telling you, gives me a chuckle.

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
I'm viewing the thread periodically for the sparring - not for it's original subject. Personally, I don't care to see non-sailing-related stuff on here (so don't count this as positive).

I suspect you may be in the majority, which is unfortunate imo.
Posted By: catman

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:14 PM

What would nice is if the owners of this site would create a political section so those who lack a real life could hang there. If it's about space then I offer the Mystere section since nothing goes on there anyway. Change the name and then they'll have their own hole to hang in and it won't be on the front page of a "SAILING SITE". I think ridiculous to see this crap at the top of the page. There are plenty of places to do this. GO THERE!

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:29 PM

Again nobody's forcing you to read and comment on this thread. whistle Or is Pete in the room there with you twisting your arm and forcing you to read and post comment? grin On second thought maybe try the Mystere section. GO THERE! grin

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

I suspect you may be in the majority, which is unfortunate imo.

It's simply a context thing. I read about this stuff but when/where I expect to read about it. All these type of discussions here usually result in is a pretty basic internet argument with two sides shouting their points at each other with no give and take. You can't even carry a logical argument past two individual posts. I would rather read about sailing here but I wouldn't care if you guys had a forum for political discussion on this site (like Sailing Anarchy had to do).
Posted By: P.M.

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by catman
What would nice is if the owners of this site would create a political section so those who lack a real life could hang there. If it's about space then I offer the Mystere section since nothing goes on there anyway. Change the name and then they'll have their own hole to hang in and it won't be on the front page of a "SAILING SITE". I think ridiculous to see this crap at the top of the page. There are plenty of places to do this. GO THERE!

Rick,
This idea is a win/win for you. You still get the "traffic"; and the sailors who come here for sailing are isolated from this crap. Please put it in a forum that is excluded from the open forums/discussions category. Therefore, I will not get the copious crap emails in my inbox. This is because I subscribe (as many do) to email notifications for open forums/discussions, which contains the sailing content that I (and many others) seek from CatSailor.
You will fix the problem for many, and pacify Pete (edited: and Buccaneer).

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:45 PM

Pete is a cat sailor and this is a forum for cat sailors. If you don't like Pete's topic then don't read it and start your own. No big deal mate. wink
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:45 PM

I think that there are enough political issues INSIDE sailing (AC, olympics, protest rulings, etc) to keep these forums busy without having to post politics that are OUTSIDE of sailing...

I've got other resources for non-sailing topics... Maybe that blog idea has merit...?

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Pete is a cat sailor and this is a forum for cat sailors. If you don't like Pete's topic then don't read it and start your own. No big deal mate. wink

It is a big deal and you still don't get it. It's not whether I choose to read it or not, it's I don't want it coming into my inbox. If I unsubscribe to the open forums/discussion, then I loose the sailing content. I've offered a solution that is good for everybody.
Posted By: Robi

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 02:02 PM

+1

I find it hilarious that the OP says he will stop only when he gets enough votes, pfffttt ahahahhah.

pgp people are seeing (word seeing, NOT READING) the ridiculous crap you post. The forums logs, views, not reads. Just because x amount of people open a thread does not mean they read it.
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 06:09 PM

Kinda like watching a train wreck...Hard to turn your head.

I get my news from other places and think that political talk on a sailing site is in bad order and only tends to create enemies from people that would become good frinds without the political talk.

That is also why I refuse to talk politics with my friends unless I am sure they have the same views I do.

Despite trying not to, just reading these political threads gives me preconcieved ideas about individuals and usually not in a good way.

I only check them when I need a break and I think the fighting is amusing. Occasionally I will read the content if it is a paragraph or two but I would never click on a link.
Posted By: soccerguy83

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 06:49 PM

Nothing positive and only 7 hours to go, sitting on the edge of my seat! Ah the suspense!
Posted By: catman

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 06:53 PM

I don't read the crap. It's enough that it's at the top the page endlessly.

The funny part is imagine some one new comes to the site and see's this topic as #1. F-ing brilliant.
Posted By: h18catsailor

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by cyberspeed
I get my news from other places and think that political talk on a sailing site is in bad order and only tends to create enemies from people that would become good frinds without the political talk.

+1
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: banking and finance - 03/21/11 08:41 PM

Isn't it about time we put the political threads to rest and let them die a lingering death on the back pages.

Fred S
Posted By: FLL

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 09:01 PM

What do you all say we vote to keep it or loose it? Looser picks up his stuff and leaves?
Sound fair to you Petey?

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 09:09 PM

yes indeed.
Posted By: lonestarcat

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 09:53 PM

I am assuming you all feel the same way about the endless drill thread and those that post there. I agree that it is easy to have negative perceptions about people who post political opinions on here (or anywhere else)if those opionions seem divorced from your own reality. So much so that one might not want to associate with or do business with them. For most of us it is better to be suspected of being a communist, or wing nut, than to put it in writing and remove all doubt.

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by FLL
What do you all say we vote to keep it or loose it? Looser picks up his stuff and leaves?
Sound fair to you Petey?

Originally Posted by pgp
yes indeed.

1) Loose it. (Philip)

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 10:31 PM

Consider it done, Phillip. You, at least are able to express yourself in a civil manner. The rest will be embroiled in another **** storm before the sun comes up.

All the best.
Posted By: pepin

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 10:38 PM

Loose all of them, please stop the drill whatever pile of steaming partisan junk.

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 10:50 PM

Damn, won with a single vote. Wow.

Thanks Pete. Having met you on the beach and on the water leaves a much more palatable Pete than the internet version. . .

I still champion Rick to create a new forum outside of the open forum/discussions category and call it "Political CatSailor" or "Crap Chronicles" or "All thing not sailing" or "Keyboard Psycho-babble" . It is long overdue. How 'bout it Rick? Rick? Can we do that, please? I find it impossible to believe that there will be no more politics here. . .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 11:02 PM

I know pgp, you were given your very own F16 forum by the Catsailor god Gandolf Tiny Shorts and still wanted to infiltrate the rest of the sailing world somehow.

However, the castle walls must stand against the flipping hoards of dastardly nonsensical drivel driven apocalyptic cheese eating conspiratorial chunky monkeys. (and I do mean flipping in a very physical and sail-related way as it pertains to Mr. pgp)

You can get your fill at Political Anarchy where there are plenty of well minded sincere fellows awaiting your every post with a calm demeanor usually reserved only for Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Where they will answer your well placed articles with the lightest of key pecks while sipping perfect confections of southern Chinese lilly drinks blessed by the Dalai Lama himself.

Carry on chaps

Re: under foot... - 03/21/11 11:07 PM

smile Happy hour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akpW9NJkYlI
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: under foot... - 03/28/11 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DUH
Carry on chaps

that's it... he's gone fully euro...

Hey, how were H16 midwinters?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: under foot... - 03/28/11 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by DUH
Carry on chaps

I heard someone was trying to hump the pin at the start of a race, any truth to that rumor? Come on don't be shy.

Re: under foot... - 03/28/11 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by DUH
Carry on chaps

I heard someone was trying to hump the pin at the start of a race, any truth to that rumor? Come on don't be shy.

Is this becoming habit?

steaming partisan junk - 03/29/11 02:26 AM

Do you mean the thread with 3,067,817 views? grin

Is there anything else you don't approve of? Please make us a list... cool

Originally Posted by pepin
Loose all of them, please stop the drill whatever pile of steaming partisan junk.

Re: steaming partisan junk - 03/29/11 01:17 PM

I too think that's an impressive number to be created by 4 unique viewers. Kudo's for your persistence.

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 01:35 PM

Attached picture jup.JPG

Re: under foot... - 03/29/11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by DUH
Carry on chaps

Is this becoming habit?

It wasn't me! It was Mr. Moss. I learned my lesson already. I stayed clean except for an OCS. I wanted to get up with the big boys at all costs (although big is a very relative term on the H16. I have to admit it's tougher to sail in the back of the pack than the front! I had a great time out there, but found out that like any boat the Hobie 16 has its tweaks. I really enjoyed seeing friends I don't get to see that often because we sail different boats. It was well organized and Matt Bounds ran a good committee boat as usual. I'm doing a story on it when I'm done with my current one....

Re: steaming partisan junk - 03/29/11 03:25 PM

I too think that's an impressive number to be created by 4 unique viewers. Kudo's for your persistence.

+1,000,000,000,000 For the win...Go Gramps.

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

Hey pete,
Looks like Uranus is red today.

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 04:03 PM

Speaking of Jupiter, what's the ideal mainsheet length for a system that uses the Harken 10:1 carbo blocks and what is the typical taper length?

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 04:22 PM

Is this an appropriate question for the banking/finance/astronomy thread.

That's my stir of the pot for today...

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 04:26 PM

Speaking of Jupiter, what's the ideal mainsheet length for a system that uses the Harken 10:1 carbo blocks and what is the typical taper length?

...as in my amp and Nigel's boat go to...

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 04:39 PM

Good point, it's not the voltage that get's you is the amperage.

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 07:49 PM

and the humidity, gotta watch the humidity.

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 08:27 PM

Are you talking about your hair style?

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 09:24 PM

This thread still has my name on it. If you guys don't let it die I'm going to move it back to banking and finance.

btw

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ed-by-holders-over-mortgage-defects.html
BoA sued by shareholders over mortgage defects.

"The investors accused the board and senior management of a breach of fiduciary duty, abuse of control, a waste of corporate assets, gross mismanagement and unjust enrichment. "
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 09:38 PM

I do not think Todd's Hair can actually be called a "style".

Re: banking and finance - 03/29/11 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2

I do not think Todd's Hair can actually be called a "style".

Jake can't see that high without a ladder or a bucket truck. Thanks for filling him in.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 12:18 PM

Or with his head between your legs! grin

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 12:41 PM

Dude, that is all kinds of wrong!

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 01:27 PM

LOL! you guys are on a roll

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 01:56 PM

I can't give Mr. Bonifant any grief on that as there are pictures. Failed attempt at a jumping pile driver at Spring Fever.It "looks"bad. We may have been drinking.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 02:04 PM

I can't give Mr. Bonifant any grief on that as there are pictures. Failed attempt at a jumping pile driver at Spring Fever.It "looks"bad. We may have been drinking.

It's in there somewhere. . . .
pile driving

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mummp

It's in there somewhere. . . .
pile driving

How did I know you'd be the next post?

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 02:13 PM

!

Attached picture pile.JPG

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 03:30 PM

Oh dear lord. Again? really?
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 06:39 PM

Hold him steady.....I get this one.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 06:50 PM

There is no way you can expect to have a photo taken with your head between Todd's legs and NOT have it come up from time to time.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 07:51 PM

There is no way you can expect to have a photo taken with your head between Todd's legs and NOT have it come up from time to time.

I sure hope you were talking about that photo.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 08:00 PM

I sure hope you were talking about that photo.

I'm about 99.999999999% sure those are THE ONLY photos like that. Unless you've been sneakin' around with Riccardi or some other Todd.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 09:19 PM

I think you missed my funny.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 10:02 PM

I think you missed my funny.

Nahhh, I didn't miss it, just trying to deflect.

Re: banking and finance - 03/30/11 10:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj6lRFXC5rA&feature=player_embedded

Refuting the Laffer Curve.

http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=7083

bank of N. Dakota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r0rJWnRFUJA
Posted By: H17cat

Fannie and Freddie Rewards - 04/01/11 11:04 PM

Fannie and Freddie rewards.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42371364/ns/business-us_business/

Re: Fannie and Freddie Rewards - 04/02/11 02:01 AM

Not Work safe.

Bankers pose as wild animals
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Fannie and Freddie Rewards - 04/04/11 04:22 AM

Pete, did you watch 60 Minutes?
Posted By: Dan Berger

Re: Fannie and Freddie Rewards - 04/07/11 02:12 AM

Something bankers can fathom:

Bankers in the field
Posted By: Pipat1

Re: under foot... - 04/07/11 12:22 PM

Thank you ^^

Re: under foot... - 04/07/11 03:44 PM

Nearly 100 years since the FED act, during which time the purchasing power of a U.S. dollar declined from $1.00 in 1913 to 4.6 cents in 2009. Sadly, the Federal Reserve is working very hard to get rid of the little bit of purchasing power that the U.S. dollar has left.

[Linked Image]

http://www.aier.org/research/briefs...declining-purchasing-power-of-the-dollar

Financing wars. - 04/08/11 08:20 AM

Financing wars is but another FED racket.. cool

The Fed Undermines Foreign Policy

by Ron Paul

Last week I was both surprised and pleased when the Supreme Court upheld lower court decisions requiring the Federal Reserve Bank to comply with requests for information made by Bloomberg under the Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA"). Bloomberg simply wanted to know who received loans from the Fed's discount window in the aftermath of the 2008 financial market crisis, and how much each entity received. Surely this is basic information that should be available to every American taxpayer. But the Fed fought tooth and nail all the way to the Supreme Court to preserve their privileged secrecy. However, transparency and openness won the day. There are some 29,000 pages to decipher, but a few points stand out initially.

The Fed lent huge sums of our money to foreign banks. This in itself was not surprising, but the actual amount is staggering! In one week at the height of the crisis, about 70% of the money doled out went to foreign banks. We were told that bailing out banks was going to stave off a massive depression. Depression for whom? We now know that the Fed's bailout had nothing to do with helping the American people, who have gotten their depression anyway with continued job losses and foreclosures. But now we learn that a good deal of the money did not even help American banks!

In light of recent world events, perhaps the most staggering revelation is that quite a bit of money went to the Arab Banking Corp., in which the Libyan Central Bank owned about a third of its stock. This occurred while Libya, a declared state sponsor of terrorism, was under strict economic sanctions! How erratic the US must appear when we shower a dictator alternately with dollars and bombs! Also, we must consider the possibility that those loans are inadvertently financing weapons Gaddaffi is using against his own people and western militaries. This would not be the first time the covert activities of the Fed have undermined not only our economy and the value of the dollar, but our foreign policy as well.

Of course I can't say I'm surprised by the poor quality of the data provided by the Fed. The category of each loan made, whether from the "Primary Discount Window", the "Secondary Discount Window," or "Other Extensions of Credit," is redacted. Thus, we don't know with certainty how much discount window lending was provided to foreign banks and how much was merely "other extensions of credit". Also, some of the numbers simply do not seem to add up. We are of course still wading through the massive document dump, but it does seem as though several billions of dollars are unaccounted for.

As the world economy continues to falter in spite of – or rather because of – cheap money doled out by the Federal Reserve, its ability to deceive financial markets and American taxpayers is coming to an end. People are beginning to realize that when the fed in effect doubles the worldwide supply of US dollars in a relatively short time, it has the effect of stealing half your money through reduced purchasing power. Rapid inflation will continue as trillions in new money and credit recently created by the Fed flood into the commodity markets.

It is becoming more and more obvious that the Fed operates for the benefit of a few privileged banks, banks that never suffer for bad decisions they make. Quite the opposite – as we have seen since October 2008, under our current monetary system politically-connected banks are paid to make bad decisions.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul731.html
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums