Catsailor.com

Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20)

Posted By: Steve_Piche

Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 02:19 PM

It looks like a big boat show down will be taking place at the Great Texas this year. Sailors will be coming from Georgia, Florida, California and of course Texas to compete in the open class of the Great Texas.

Here is what we have so far. Kranz/Lennard and Schmalzer/Thompson on F20C (the new Nacra). Moss/Casey on an M20. Dennis Banks on an ARC22.

So if you have a big fast boat, the Great Texas is the place to be in June!

We have 18 boats that have declared their intent to race so far. We need a couple of more Nacra 20's and they will have their own class. We already have a big class of F18's.

More details at GT300.com.

Steve
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 06:40 PM

This is gonna be F'n good! I can't waite to see who wins the 105 mile down wind dragrace on the first day. Isn't the record 5.5 hrs for day one? I bet it falls. If any of you haven't seen the headsail that Banks is running on the latest ARC22, it's made by Landenberger and is a roller furler like the latest A/C Multihulls. I hear he has rock star crew coming but at this time won't say who it is.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
This is gonna be F'n good! I can't waite to see who wins the 105 mile down wind dragrace on the first day. Isn't the record 5.5 hrs for day one? I bet it falls. If any of you haven't seen the headsail that Banks is running on the latest ARC22, it's made by Landenberger and is a roller furler like the latest A/C Multihulls. I hear he has rock star crew coming but at this time won't say who it is.

But will it beat the two foil assisted F20C!?

This is going to be cool.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 07:01 PM

I think it's time to review Bill Roberts' "Shared lift" concept...
Posted By: BoK

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I think it's time to review Bill Roberts' "Shared lift" concept...

"Shared Lift" is on the ARC21, not the ARC22. ARC22 boards are behind the beams.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

I'll put my money on the M-20, hands down.
They're on a mission.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

I'll put my money on the M-20, hands down.
They're on a mission.

Yeah? Ya think? That's going to be pretty interesting to watch.

What kind of coverage are going to be able to see via computer screen?

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 08:38 PM

I'll be carrying a SPOT and I'm encouraging everyone else to do the same. At least we'll have live tracking. Maybe we'll even get some OTW Anarchy again this year smile

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by BoK
I'll be carrying a SPOT and I'm encouraging everyone else to do the same. At least we'll have live tracking. Maybe we'll even get some OTW Anarchy again this year smile

...it really is coming to a shootout of the standard and advanced small catamaran technology! Coverage would appeal to a pretty wide audience for sure.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 09:43 PM

They need to get Jeremy from Surf City to cover it. JC will be sailing.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 10:53 PM

Jeremy said he can't make it this year. Hopefully SA will be back. This will be a year of some epic racing thats for sure. Todd, why don't you contact Clean and come put your mug infront of the camera? Jake? What about you? Anyone?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 11:19 PM

Not that I'm super serious, and admit-tingly not man enough to handle a Tybee.... has there been any interest in lowering the minimum length?

Knowing full well a F16 would beat the crew to death, it'd still be cool to do it on a shorter boat.

Actually, while the ride would be a whole lot rougher, I wonder if the lower sheet loads would actually be a good thing?

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 11:30 PM

Karl,
I did it last year on a Capricorn with Drew Carlyle. He and I spent the entire race balancing between beam slap and pitchpole. I don't think you want to do this on an F16.

You are a great sailor and would be a great addition to any team and I'd love it if you came and raced with us. Why not team up with an F18 or N20 sailor? Alternately, I believe that you could charter a boat down here if you like.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 11:48 PM

Jeremy said he can't make it this year. Hopefully SA will be back. This will be a year of some epic racing thats for sure. Todd, why don't you contact Clean and come put your mug infront of the camera? Jake? What about you? Anyone?

UUUHHHHHHH.... Thanks but no thanks.
I'm pretty sure I'd be run out of town on a rail with my commentary.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 03/31/11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
UUUHHHHHHH.... Thanks but no thanks.
I'm pretty sure I'd be run out of town on a rail with my commentary.

Yeah, but then we'd miss the opportunity to tar and feather you. I think you should do it.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoK
Karl,
I did it last year on a Capricorn with Drew Carlyle. He and I spent the entire race balancing between beam slap and pitchpole. I don't think you want to do this on an F16.

You are a great sailor and would be a great addition to any team and I'd love it if you came and raced with us. Why not team up with an F18 or N20 sailor? Alternately, I believe that you could charter a boat down here if you like.

I'm sure someone said something like that to the guys that thought they might sail their Hobie 16's from Virginia to Miami.
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 01:04 AM

Hey Bo,

You need to get TrackLeaders.com back onboard. It is a major pain to look up different shared pages. They also have enough units to take care of the entire fleet. I was surprised you did not use them last year.

Chuck said that he would allow any class that had 5 boats or more.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 01:10 AM

I'd say let them do it if they had atleast two show up and stick em in the open class.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by BoK
Karl,

email received/sent. I'm looking at more for next year than anything. I've kinda blown my wad on the sailing budget and the season hasn't even started for me. I want to do it more for the experience than anything.

I'm sure someone said something like that to the guys that thought they might sail their Hobie 16's from Virginia to Miami.

Honestly, I think a H16 would hand out less of a beat down than a F16. It'd just take longer.
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 02:05 AM

We are close to landing full SA coverage with live video etc. They want to make it happen, we want to make it happen, just ironing out details and should be able to make an announcement within a week.

Chris.

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by flumpmaster

We are close to landing full SA coverage with live video etc. They want to make it happen, we want to make it happen, just ironing out details and should be able to make an announcement within a week.

Chris.

Not that you are announcing anything crazy
Posted By: drew584

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 10:47 AM

i am hoping for some good coverage. I wont be there this year and the only way i will know whats going on is with some decent coverage. Hopefully I can make it again next year. It sounds like its going to be a blast this year.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Big Boat Show Down at Great Texas (F20C, ARC22, M20) - 04/01/11 07:37 PM

What about Brian and Adventure TV ? He's got some cool camera technology... and he's married to the commentator smile

I think with the shuttle program done, he might have some free time.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums