Catsailor.com

Boom Sections?

Posted By: Tornado

Boom Sections? - 04/04/11 04:58 PM

Got a bud here in Vancouver area that needs to build a new boom for his Tornado. He is unable to find the usual sections that are found on Tornado and most other beachcats (Tigers/H20/TheMightyHobie18/Nacras)...and he is a machinist with access to lots of sources. The stock Marstrom section will be $500+ once shipped here from Sweden.

He needs the square or rectangular section, not the circular one since he will be rigging an internal main sheet system.
Does anyone know where Hobie/Performace etc get their sections?

Thanks for any pointers...

Mike.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/04/11 05:24 PM

How long does it need to be? You can get a 2" x 4" x 6' extrusion at McMaster.com for about $65 (don't know if they ship to Canuk-land though).

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/04/11 05:28 PM

It's closer to 8' I believe...but the issue was wall thickness...needs to be something like 1/16"...typically you can find 1/8" readily. That's double the weight.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/04/11 06:47 PM

I20 boom works with little modification, I think. I don't remember who I heard say that.
Posted By: catman

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/04/11 10:08 PM

The Mystere boom is the old sailcraft section. Hobie Gary was parting out his boat and may have it still. I don't think it's 1/16" though.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/04/11 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I20 boom works with little modification, I think. I don't remember who I heard say that.

It would have to be the old style N-20/P-19 boom as the new N/I 20 booms are a round extrusion.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/05/11 02:16 PM

This is not the first time I have seen this issue. I think the Marstrom boom is from a Spar builder. I did a quick check through work and did not find any tubing in your size with a wall less than 1/8. All the tubing I saw (6061, 6063, and 2000 series) appears to be from 1 supplier. My source had an interesting comment. He said they would start looking at surplus suppliers, MARINE SUPPLIERs, and the last the MARINE MAKERS in Austrailia and France. I checked and Sparcraft has some rectangular'ish sections stock. I know this does help when you are trying to keep the price down.

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/05/11 05:52 PM

The Marstrom section is a strange fish...elongated rectangluar-ish...but with different top/bottom shapes. top side is near right-angled, while bottom side is much more radiused.
My friend is not hung up on getting a Marstrom section, though that would be great.

Mike.

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/06/11 01:49 PM

I am not looking at a Marstrom extrusion, I am just looking for an extrusion with a 1/16" wall. It's very hard to find a stock extrusion even close to Marstroms. There is just not much of a demand for al, where you are weight sensitive. Most people are going to carbon so they only sell the thicker wall al extrusions. There are plenty of places that make al tubing (Easton, Reynolds, etc) but it is mostly on order and per spec.

This search was interesting to me, because I found I can buy hydroformed al tubing whose strength approaches cold forged al. I am not sure what I will do with this information, but it’s cool.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/06/11 02:22 PM

I'm thinking you could find what you need here....

http://www.metricmetal.com/

Re: Boom Sections? - 04/07/11 01:52 PM

Thank You for the link.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums