Catsailor.com

Nacra diamond wire parts

Posted By: Brady

Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 01:08 AM

I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle...
I''m restoring a 1984 Nacra 5.2 and all that's left is to replace the rotted diamond wire covers/caps. My spreader is a single rod through the mast and the original caps are kind of elongated, over the end of the rod and an inch or two along the wires (I'll send a picture if my description is vague). I haven't been able to find a replacement anywhere. Can someone offer a suggestion for tracking rare parts? Many thanks!
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 03:19 AM

Welcome to the site Brady

history sees your boat as a nice boat
Posted By: Jake

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brady
I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle...
I''m restoring a 1984 Nacra 5.2 and all that's left is to replace the rotted diamond wire covers/caps. My spreader is a single rod through the mast and the original caps are kind of elongated, over the end of the rod and an inch or two along the wires (I'll send a picture if my description is vague). I haven't been able to find a replacement anywhere. Can someone offer a suggestion for tracking rare parts? Many thanks!

Brady,

That probably is going to be a difficult find - have you tried a Nacra dealer? If you tell us where you are located, we might be able to refer you to a dealer (somewhat) near you.

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 12:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, jake-
I live in Charleston, SC. I've tried to locate a Nacra dealer nearby without success. I guess I'll try Nacra HQ today, but I'm honestly not expecting much.
Posted By: tshan

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 12:58 PM

Have you tried the online store associated with this site? They sell prefab rigging (I think - I would look but the online store section of this web site is blocked from work - go figure), you'll just need to know the lengths.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brady
Thanks for the reply, jake-
I live in Charleston, SC. I've tried to locate a Nacra dealer nearby without success. I guess I'll try Nacra HQ today, but I'm honestly not expecting much.

Google up Rick Bliss New England Catamarans. The best dealer in the business. You will get much better service out of him(he ships affordably)than you will get out of the "HQ" if you get any. If he doesn't have it he can tell you where to get it or a substitute.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 01:55 PM

http://www.new-england-catamarans.com/
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 02:11 PM

I believe that Mike Krantz in Buford GA is your closest Nacra dealer.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 02:47 PM

Brady,

Your post seems to suggest that you only need the rubber caps, right? Assuming the diamonds are in good shape, you could use rigging tape over the ends to protect your jib, etc.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 02:49 PM

The parts you need are not Nacra specific. The spreader boots are available at West Marine (SPRBOOTSS).
Also available at APS... with a better picture.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-7513-spreader-boot-by-seadog.aspx

BTW, I could never get a good seal where the spreader goes through the mast. I ended up getting a solid aluminum bar and had it welded into the mast. That gave me a good seal.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 03:47 PM

Getting anything from Nacra now is like trying to get parts for your Mystere.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Getting anything from Nacra now is like trying to get parts for your Mystere.

So what's new? But the part he needs is generic, so he doesn't have to wait for Nacra.

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 04:23 PM

Great! That looks exactly like what i need.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/08/11 05:28 PM

You'll enjoy the 5.2. Fun cat that is a bargin and easy to handle but can point well. Keep and eye on shroud tangs...I had one break at the eye. Hole developed an oval shape over time.

Re: Nacra diamond wire parts - 04/12/11 02:30 AM

Thanks, guys- all good advice. I'm sure I'll be needing more in the near future. Hoping to be in the water by May 1st!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums