Catsailor.com

What is a Yacht ?

Posted By: Jeff Peterson

What is a Yacht ? - 05/01/11 02:11 AM

What is the definition of a yacht? Are we sailing yachts, or do you have to have an enclosed space to accomodate the "007 Bond" girls?
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/01/11 09:34 AM

A Yacht-Any vessel large enough to hold the Captain, his Lady and a bottle of wine.
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/03/11 08:03 PM

Actually, I meant that as a serious question. What IS a yacht?

The glossary of the “Encyclopedia of Sailing (revised 1978)” says, “yacht” is a “general term for a boat used solely for the personal pleasure of the owner”.

Does that mean my canoe is a yacht? Is a pontoon boat a yacht? Is a jonboat a yacht? --That can’t be right.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/03/11 08:52 PM

Usage varies somewhat depending on where you are from -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/03/11 09:42 PM

"Yachting" .... is a function of the brainwave length .... NOT the waterline length ....

So, YES ... I've been "yachting" in small rowboats/sailboats ===> to ===> large 40+ powerboats/sailboats

Harry
Posted By: Luiz

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/04/11 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Peterson
Actually, I meant that as a serious question. What IS a yacht?

Yacht is the traditional name given to what is actually a watery equivalents of a black hole that sucks all the money you have and almost nothing escapes to be recovered.
They are usually referred to as "that hole in the water where my money disappears".
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/04/11 04:39 PM

And if it's spelled Y-A-C-H-T, why isn't it pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove"?
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/04/11 08:03 PM

I always considered a "yacht" to be a boat either (1) large enough or (2) expensive enough to have some sort of paid help (crew or team) assisting it
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/08/11 10:07 PM

The true meaning is in fact: A boat used solely for the personal pleasure of the owner. That was one of the first things I learned when I was studying Yacht Design. No I never went on to become a Yacht designer or finished the school but it was one of those things I did during the 70's during the crazy years.

But most people use the word as: "A boat I could never afford in this life time!"

Posted By: HMurphey

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/09/11 12:37 AM

I think Mike just made my point .....

Harry
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/09/11 06:43 AM

Indy; the name comes from the Dutch (or other Germanic language) word, where it means "hunt" short for "hunting ship". IE: a fast ship used for chasing (down) adversaries and later for racing.
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/09/11 12:31 PM

It's also a Monty Python reference... Raymond Luxury Y-A-C-H-T

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is a Yacht ? - 05/09/11 03:40 PM

That is hilarious !
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums