Catsailor.com

Catamarans in Charleston, SC?

Posted By: MultiMatt

Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/06/11 05:18 PM

Any other cat sailors in or near Charleston, SC? I know there are only a few of us around.... I have a Hobie 17 Sport that I just finished restoring and I'm starting do a good bit of cat sailing. The local long-distance sailing group told me they don't allow cats to sail with them. And it would be nice to not have to drive all the way to the sailing regattas in south Florida in order to sail with other cats. I'd like to meet up with a few other guys in the area to do some sailing together off the beach and in the harbor. If interested, you can PM me and maybe we can coordinate to get a few of us together.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/06/11 07:56 PM

There are tons of cat sailing events in you're area.

Take a look at emsa-sailing.org to find events. When in doubt talk to Trey Brown... he does quite a bit of cat sailing down in Charleston.

His email is velocitytrey at gmail.com
Posted By: Fast_is_Fun

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/07/11 02:11 AM

I'm looking for others' experiences with the Hobie 17. I've been sailing for most my life, had a Hobie 14 Turbo in the early eighties, windsurfed for quite a while, and owned a number of tris. I'm downsizing now and considering a H-17 for bay sailing where the afternoon thermals often kick up. I weigh about 155. I've read that there is not a lot of reserve buoyancy in the hulls & so the H-17 is not good in the ocean. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether it would be suitable for bay sailing for someone of my weight or is it more of a small inland lake boat?
Posted By: pgp

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/07/11 11:02 AM

"I'm looking for others' experiences with the Hobie 17."

I sold mine and bought a F16. Lighter to move around on the beach and a lot more fun downwind.

I did some ocean sailing with the 17 but not in heavy conditions. I wouldn't recommend either boat for heavy ocean conditions but bay sailing is fine.

http://usf16.com/
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/07/11 01:06 PM

If you want to go single sail with lots of performance and light weight ,go the A class route.IMO.
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/07/11 01:53 PM

You will have fun on a Hobie 17 in the bay or the ocean. It is very weight sensitive, but you are perfect at 155 (class min is 160). It is a very sturdy boat, as proof I suggest you read the thread on the Hangover Regatta from last year in the Gulf of Mexica, Dunedin FL
Hangover Regatta 2010
Winds built to 25 gusting to 40 and less than 1/2 the boats finished. A Hobie 17 not only finished the race, but also won the high portsmouth division.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/07/11 05:06 PM

From my experience while I was living just down the road in Hilton Head, the Charleston fleet is not very active. Like Tad previously mentioned check out EMSA. They hold a few events within a short drive from the Charleston area. There are quite a few cats around James Island and the JIYC, but I never saw them go out.
Posted By: joelcat

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/08/11 12:43 AM

MultiMatt
I have a Getaway I'm just about finished restoring (new shrouds, forestay,tramp etc.) Have experience sailing larger boats including delivering a tri from great lakes to Va. but limited hobie experience. I've been out a few times launching from Station 13 on Sullivans Island. Contact me if you want to coordinate.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/09/11 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MultiMatt
Any other cat sailors in or near Charleston, SC? I know there are only a few of us around.... I have a Hobie 17 Sport that I just finished restoring and I'm starting do a good bit of cat sailing. The local long-distance sailing group told me they don't allow cats to sail with them. And it would be nice to not have to drive all the way to the sailing regattas in south Florida in order to sail with other cats. I'd like to meet up with a few other guys in the area to do some sailing together off the beach and in the harbor. If interested, you can PM me and maybe we can coordinate to get a few of us together.

Matt,

I'm in Greenville, SC and part of the EMSA crowd. We have many events throughout the year in GA, SC, and NC. June 4th and 5th is our next event on Lake Keowee in Seneca, SC...a long standing regatta "Bare what you Dare". We should have several different classes and an open class...there may be a Hobie 17 there as well. You're more than welcome to join in the fun.

We should have a fall event back in Columbia, SC this fall but we are pretty active and race on Lake Hartwell, Lake Murray, Lake Keowee, and Lake Norman and try to race once per year in Myrtle Beach. You'll find more information at www.emsa-sailing.org.

Jake
Posted By: krona

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/09/11 09:35 PM

I moved to Charleston SC late last year and sail a N570. Usually from JIYC.

When Trey's down here the active Cats in Charleston quadruple, since he usually brings a few N20 sailors with him.

Bjorn
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/10/11 02:18 AM

Bjorn has a baby now, his N570 only gets wet when it rains now.
Posted By: MultiMatt

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/10/11 12:15 PM

I'll definitely try and make some of the EMSA events this year, since they are so much closer. Thanks for the info. Let me know if you ever make it down to Charleston to go sailing!
Posted By: krona

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/10/11 06:48 PM

Unfortunately that is very true.

Been out a lot on the 36.7 however
Posted By: nwbostic

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/24/11 11:09 PM

started a group page on facebook "Ft Moultrie Beachcat Sailors". We have about a half dozen boat now would like to meet up with more sailors.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_229735613710689

Posted By: Jake

Re: Catamarans in Charleston, SC? - 05/25/11 01:57 AM

We've been dying for another beach regatta in S.C. You guys should think about hosting one there...we can help with the organization but need local knowledge about where to launch, where to keep trailers, where to stay...I'm not familiar with Sullivan's Island but I do know that this can be a challenge at the beach. We might be able to help with race committee and the such.

I saw that Hunter Stunzi was starting up a sizable kite boarding event on Sullivan's Island too...he's a catamaran sailor and might be able to help with some of the local logistics.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums