Catsailor.com

Ronstan Clearstart

Posted By: Anonymous

Ronstan Clearstart - 05/31/11 06:02 PM

I'm looking at the prices of Clearstart timers and notice that the big round one that you can strap to the boom (RF4030) is a whole lot more expensive that the wristwatch (RF4031) - e.g. $100 vs $65 at West Marine. Is this just the extra cost of the bigger LCDs or is there some functional difference? Anyone know?
Posted By: pgp

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 05/31/11 07:40 PM

I can SEE the clear start. wink
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 05/31/11 07:59 PM

The Clear Start is great. What I like most about it is that the display is so big and I can see it clearly mounted on the boom. When I wore a watch on my wrist I could not check the time, watch were I was going, and look out for traffic all at the same time. Defintately worth the price!!!!!!
Posted By: tback

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 05/31/11 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
Defintately worth the price!!!!!!

Until you lose it (at Tradewinds) ... don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 12:58 AM

Mark- go with the clearstart.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 01:47 AM

You can see it from the other side of the boat if needed..... Bad butt.

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 06:21 AM

Just to be clear, both models are Clearstart - just different form factors. I'm presume that what most of you are recommending is the RF4030. Thanks.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 07:05 AM

Another popular model is the Optimum Time OS315, its basically the same as the clearstart but a lot cheaper.

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 09:02 AM

Thanks for that. I see the US rep is Ocean Racing who have them for $98, so no cheaper than Ronstan. However OutdoorGB sell for $56 and will ship from the UK for $10. Some negative reviews on SA - http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=76587

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 09:05 AM

BTW, they look so similar, you have to suspect they're made in the same factory.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 12:14 PM

Couple of tips for the Clearstart.
1. Since we usually start on starboard tack, I wear the wrist watch on my right arm (sheeting hand), which is always right in front of my face. Easy to see and watch where that hold may open up for you.
2. I program it for 1 minute, and if a 3 minute sequence, press it 3 times; 5 minutes, 5 times.
3. Best feature is the Sync.., if you miss the initial flag, you can hit sync on the next one and it will get you right back on time
https://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13178&idcategory=124
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 02:04 PM

Get the big one. In addition to what everone else said, they are durable and you change your own battery. The Ronstans seem to have better quality control than the generic models.

Also one I bought one on ebay from China that has a GPS. It uses the same case and buttons but the functions and operation is like a bike computer. It is not very well made. It fogs from sweat.

Posted By: TEH

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 10:39 PM

Mark,

I have the small one. That's what I used at Ripley (and helped us acheive such killer starts). It works fine.

If you start it late, you can hit sync and it advances to the next minute. There is also an audible beep each minute and then more beeps during the last minute and a beep a second during the last 10 seconds, so you don't necessarily have to see it but I can see where you would want to see how much time was left. I wish it was louder.

I went with the smaller one due to cost and I use it for more than just sailing.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/01/11 11:30 PM

I've used the small one for awhile. Killed one and they gave me a new one under warranty. I do have a problem with the sync button getting pressed by my hand or glove if I bend my wrist( making you start a minute early). I solved that problem by grinding the button off.You can still sync but you have to press the little metal post instead of the whole button.I also blew the pins out of the first one, breaking the case, and had to drill holes and tie it to the wrist band.
If I had it to do over I'd just get the big one and be done with it.
Posted By: maritimesailor

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/02/11 03:08 PM

Big one, but get two! Put one on your boom (you can swivel the face around in the mount for when you are on port so it isn't upside down), put the second on your crew's arm!

Sync button is key!

Also, I've gone through a lot of these, the plastic "clip" on the strap will eventually break. I take it off (break it off) and stitch the two bands together. You'll thank me when the clip never breaks off and you loose the damn thing overboard....
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/02/11 04:21 PM

the best part is in light air starts when all the boats are bunched up at the line and everyone's start watch is beeping. It's like you're stuck in a cage with 30 finches...
Posted By: brucat

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/02/11 05:01 PM

Yet another reason to hate racing in light air...

On the plus side, anything is better than having to listen to an Ollie horn during Appendix S starts...

Mike
Posted By: Miracle804

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/03/11 12:18 PM

Hi Mark, I have experience with the 4032 model wristwatch (now discontinued) and the larger Clearstart. For the first season I thought the wristwatch was great -- the numerals were large enough, etc. However, after the battery went dead and subsequent replacements never lasted more than a few days, I was forced to go large. It has been just fine and easier to get around the bulky sleave/cuff of my wetsuit or spraytop. West Marine had it on sale for about $60 for a week that season, so keep checking. You may find a lower price if you can afford to wait. Wally

Re: Ronstan Clearstart - 06/03/11 03:42 PM

Thanks Wally. Is that Mr Schuette?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums