Catsailor.com

AC45 in San Francisco Bay

Posted By: TEH

AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/18/11 09:06 PM

I was in San Francisco last week and got to watch the AC45's in action on the bay. I caught one downwind run on video.
CRAW AC45 Video
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/18/11 10:58 PM

Good camerawork. You should go help Clean out.
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/18/11 11:30 PM

ZZ Top may have said it best, " I'm Bad I'm Nationwide".

The AC 72's will be, "I'm Bad I'm Worldwide".
Posted By: catman

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/18/11 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Good camerawork. You should go help Clean out.

Amen to that!
Posted By: pgp

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 12:49 AM

Good work Tom! Looks like they're wearing helmets! laugh

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 01:01 AM

They were indeed wearing helments.

These boats coming to town generated quite a buzz. Especially after that near pitchpole and actual pitchpole.

I did an informal poll while in town and 90%+ of the people I mentioned the America's Cup boats knew what I was talking about and were excited about the prospect of the race coming to town. Hotel people, cabbies, my clients, etc.

Keep in mind that Clean is often shooting off of a moving boat. I was on shore.

I got as good a shot as I did because this new camera has a great digital zoom. That's why the shot is a little soft. I was zoomed all the way out.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 02:09 AM

What model camera?
Posted By: catman

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 02:21 AM

Just wondering.....will the average crew go through the wing during a capsize on a 72 or bounce off. It's going to happen. Might need more than a helmet.

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 12:10 PM

Panasonic TM700. Great little camera. Three chip, SD card recording, true HD (1080p 60fps). I got it for $750.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 12:23 PM

I liked your farther out shots vs. the up close stuff we sometimes see because without something to compare it to, like the chase boats or other boats in the bay, it's hard to see exactly how fast these things are going. Nice job and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jake

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
I liked your farther out shots vs. the up close stuff we sometimes see because without something to compare it to, like the chase boats or other boats in the bay, it's hard to see exactly how fast these things are going. Nice job and thanks for sharing!

Agreed! Its the same with r/c airplane videography. If you dont have a ground reference, its hard to understand speed and scale. Same here. This is cool video.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/19/11 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by catman
Just wondering.....will the average crew go through the wing during a capsize on a 72 or bounce off. It's going to happen. Might need more than a helmet.

I'd expect they are wearing some body protection as well; probs similar stuff worn when ski racing:

Skid lid
Back; rib and kidney protection
Arm and leg protection
Posted By: Timbo

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/20/11 03:24 AM

Perhaps a harness with a thether as well? Something they can clip into the tramp when in possition, and unclip to tack, just long enough to allow them to work their job, but not to fall 50' into the wing?
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: AC45 in San Francisco Bay - 06/20/11 07:15 AM

Foot straps...... laugh
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums