Catsailor.com

Fuling the spin?

Posted By: bvining

Fuling the spin? - 07/08/11 03:23 PM

Randy made me a monster kite for the HT. It looks good and flys great, but its so f*ing big that it doesnt go into the snuffer without a ton of effort. Plus the corners are reinforced with Dacron and the luff is double taped, so its a pretty well made sail, but it doesnt snuff well.

Would it be easier to furl and hoist it furled? Will this work? Thoughts?

Bill
Posted By: Tornado

Re: Fuling the spin? - 07/08/11 06:46 PM

If it is not cut very flat...furling will not work...there will be a large bag/bubble in the mid section that will just flop around in the wind.
What kind of snuffer are you running? I found big differences in making changes to my setup when I had trouble with a Guck snuffer on the tornado. One of the major concerns was where along the pole the snuff is located...too far aft and the sail just sort of bunches up hugely before trying to enter the hoop. After thinking thorough the distances between the sail patches, where the points all come together..I could then make an adjustment on where to place the snuffer along the pole so that sail would start entering before full bunch up.
There are other tricks as well like introducing stopper balls on the retrieval line at the right places between patches to keep the sail more spread out when dousing.

Ultimately, I changed from the Guck snuffer to simple an Alu ring with a Dacron tapered bag...and snuffing has be fantastic ever since.

Posted By: bvining

Re: Fuling the spin? - 07/08/11 11:40 PM

Thanks Mike
I am running a Guck sniffer. I will look at moving/changing it.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Fuling the spin? - 07/09/11 07:17 AM

The stiff parts of the sail will soften up
Posted By: tshan

Re: Fuling the spin? - 07/10/11 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
The stiff parts of the sail will soften up

unfortunately, they always do ...
Posted By: pepin

Re: Fuling the spin? - 07/10/11 10:50 PM

play with some rings and little lines to move the location of the rings away fron the sail. Doing this means that the sail doesn't bunch as it is more spread out. Unless you only do it on the middle patch you should plan for a longer bag however, by as much as the longer line you put in.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: Fuling the spin? - 07/11/11 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by bvining
Randy made me a monster kite for the HT... ...its a pretty well made sail, but it doesnt snuff well.

Would it be easier to furl and hoist it furled? Will this work? Thoughts?

Facnor has an interesting furling system for asymetrics here.
The concept seems to work, I've seen a video of it but can't find it now.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums