Catsailor.com

Nacra 5.8 Demasted

Posted By: Nacra5.8NA1386

Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/17/11 11:54 PM

Took the 5.8 out today, and a couple of minutes off of the beach, the mast came down, luckily nobody was hurt, we got in safely. Upon inspection, we found that the twist (screw) shackle holding the bridal foil on had come out. We probably should have checked it before sailing, but we thought that just switching both of those to clevis pins and rings, as the rest of the standing rigging is, would be easier, and safer. Is there any reason that switching them over wouldn't work?
I'm also wondering how exactly to switch my tiller crossbar hinge/connectors to the tiller extension universals. Thanks.
Posted By: bvining

Re: Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/18/11 03:19 PM

whatever you do, you should tape it to make sure it stays together.

Re: Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/18/11 04:50 PM

Yeah, early in the day, I had taped every other pin on the standing rigging. Forgot about those. I also heard that screw shackles are better for side loading, maybe that's why they're used?

Re: Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/18/11 05:18 PM

Yeah, earlier in the day, I had taped every other pin on the standing rigging. Forgot about those. I also heard that screw shackles are better for side loading, maybe that's why they're used?
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/19/11 12:17 AM

Screw pin shackles are forged [round cross section] Clevis pin shackles are bent bits of flat steel and will distort easily.
Posted By: catman

Re: Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/19/11 01:04 AM

You should a tool to tighten the shackle. They won't come undone.

Re: Nacra 5.8 Demasted - 07/19/11 03:53 AM

TEAMVMG- I meant just replacing the screw shackle with a clevis pin and ring, just like the shrouds and forestay are attached to the adjusters.

I guess I'll just replace the shackle I lost and tighten it more. Thanks guys.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums