Catsailor.com

Spreader help needed

Posted By: bvining

Spreader help needed - 07/23/11 02:59 PM

I took off my spreaders last weekend to adjust them, but they are all froze up. I managed to move one and now I cant get it to move back. Too much leverage will bust them as they are aluminum. I've tried all manner of sprays, heat, cold, etc.

What I need to do now is replace them. Murrays is out of the Nacra type spreaders. I'm a bit concerned the Proctor style wont support the loads. AHPC has a F18 Proctor style adjustable set, but I havent found a set in the US.

Does anyone have a set like this that they want to sell? They are APHC Tornado spreaders. Is anyone running Proctor spreaders on F18, F20, F18HT?

Before I start fabricating something, I'd like to buy some adjustable ones.

Thanks for the help.

Attached picture Spreader 3.jpg
Posted By: Jake

Re: Spreader help needed - 07/24/11 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by bvining
I took off my spreaders last weekend to adjust them, but they are all froze up. I managed to move one and now I cant get it to move back. Too much leverage will bust them as they are aluminum. I've tried all manner of sprays, heat, cold, etc.

What I need to do now is replace them. Murrays is out of the Nacra type spreaders. I'm a bit concerned the Proctor style wont support the loads. AHPC has a F18 Proctor style adjustable set, but I havent found a set in the US.

Does anyone have a set like this that they want to sell? They are APHC Tornado spreaders. Is anyone running Proctor spreaders on F18, F20, F18HT?

Before I start fabricating something, I'd like to buy some adjustable ones.

Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure the proctor spreaders are the same as what AHPC and Vectorworks (sorry, Falcon Marine) supplies on their boats. Most A-cats are using Proctor (mine are).
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Spreader help needed - 07/25/11 04:31 PM

Before you give up on the current spreaders, try soaking them in a mild acidic solution. If they are corroded together, the salts can be loosened with a change in pH. It won't hurt to try if you have already written them off and it has worked for me in other applications. Add an occasional stirring over at least a 24 hour period or until success. If it does work, then lubricate. Good luck!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums