Catsailor.com

Hurricane 4.9

Posted By: AntC

Hurricane 4.9 - 07/29/11 06:04 PM

Hi all
i have just acquired a hurricane 4.9 and am after some info.
firstly i need a jib for it. does anyone know where i may be able to get a jib or have a picture of a jib so i can estimate a design. did the jib take any of the rig tension or was it a hank on?
and secondly one of the rudders needs replacing. the white formula guys have said that the rudder is not made anymore but it is the same shape as a tornado rudder. so if any one has any info on where i can get a second hand blade that would be amazing.
regards
Ant C
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Hurricane 4.9 - 07/29/11 08:12 PM

Do you definately have a 4.9? that was originally the Condor but changed to a 4.9 when White Formula bought the moulds. AFAIK it didn't use Tornado rudders though. I think the 5.9 did use T rudders.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Hurricane 4.9 - 07/29/11 09:30 PM

Grant at G P sails produced the last of the condors just before it changed to the 4.9 and he has lots of tornado bits - try him
Posted By: Cheshirecatman

Re: Hurricane 4.9 - 07/30/11 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by AntC
Hi all
i have just acquired a hurricane 4.9 and am after some info.
firstly i need a jib for it. does anyone know where i may be able to get a jib or have a picture of a jib so i can estimate a design. did the jib take any of the rig tension or was it a hank on?
and secondly one of the rudders needs replacing. the white formula guys have said that the rudder is not made anymore but it is the same shape as a tornado rudder. so if any one has any info on where i can get a second hand blade that would be amazing.
regards
Ant C

The answer depends to some extent on whether the boat was built as a Condor or upgraded (as a lot were). As far as I know the boats from s/n 999 were foam sandwich boats with the 5.9 system. The boats built as 4.9s (from approx s/n 1046) should also have this system. I understand that there may be exceptions to this as I think John Mazzotti may have passed the rights to IYRU/ISAF and home build may still have been possible. Earlier boats had a very 'square' rudder blade.

Cheshirecatman
Posted By: AntC

Re: Hurricane 4.9 - 07/31/11 01:10 PM

Hi
I am sure its a 4.9 as it has 'hurricane 4.9 white formula on the side. i have taken a photo of the other rudder so if anyone recognises it please let me know.
the jib has a wire halyard and a 4mm forstay, both capable of taking tension but need to know weather the jib i get made needs a wire luff.

cheers all

Attached picture rudder.jpg
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Hurricane 4.9 - 07/31/11 09:18 PM

I THINK that the 4.9's had Hurricane 5.9 rudders with different stocks and arms as the setup was different; Grant Piggot WILL be able to help.

ww.gpsails.com

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums