Catsailor.com

AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11

Posted By: Mark Schneider

AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/16/11 11:23 PM

FYI A highlight show from Caiscas will be shown on VERSUS channel on the 16... tonight at 11 PM.

Hope they don't dumb it down too much.

Posted By: Jake

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 12:46 AM

thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: Capt_Cardiac

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 09:57 AM

That was awesome! What great footage
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 02:47 PM

Came home from an evening of racing with the unexpected pleasure of watching the event. The xfinity listing had it as 33rd America's Cup between Oracle and Alighi. Knuckle heads.
Posted By: brucat

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 04:21 PM

My cable provider did the same thing, and the Versus website didn't give any clue as to what was being covered. Thanks for the heads-up Mark!

I thought it started off rather slowly, but the re-run of the last race was pretty cool.

I didn't read through the other thread that you guys were posting real-time when the event was running, but did anyone discuss the overlapping zones at the gates? The RC geek in me found that rather interesting...

Not to mention, those BIMBOs have balls of steel, using manned boats as marks with those things coming at you. Imagine that in 25 knots?

The oversized checkered flags being waved at the finish were just completely over the top. Not to mention the champagne spraying. whistle

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
My cable provider did the same thing, and the Versus website didn't give any clue as to what was being covered. Thanks for the heads-up Mark!

I thought it started off rather slowly, but the re-run of the last race was pretty cool.

I didn't read through the other thread that you guys were posting real-time when the event was running, but did anyone discuss the overlapping zones at the gates? The RC geek in me found that rather interesting...

Not to mention, those BIMBOs have balls of steel, using manned boats as marks with those things coming at you. Imagine that in 25 knots?

Mike

I saw that...but never really saw it come into play. But yeah, that could easily be the same situation we were recently discussing where someone going for the left gate (as approaching) has a starboard tacker with rights for inside mark room or to carry straight on through to the other gate could lead to confusion and carnage.

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 04:28 PM

I know it didn't come into play for this event, but was wondering if it was discussed at all, either here or on TV.

It's generally frowned upon for the reasons you give.

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 04:58 PM

Mike... I agree, the first half hour was a bit boring. the race was great fun.

I would be careful about using this video for rules examples... I know they changed some of the mark rounding rules. Spithill commented once that he got caught thinking about the standard RRS and misplayed one.

IMO... I would get a reality TV show producer to help with the TV packaging... This event running for two years COULD actually create sailing fans... That would be spectacular.

I have never been a fan of any sailing... even the classes I sail in... But this event has potential.

I am curious... how many racers here would describe themselves as a Fan.... (ie... in same way you might follow a ball team in a season)

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
...I know they changed some of the mark rounding rules. Spithill commented once that he got caught thinking about the standard RRS and misplayed one.

This is EXACTLY the question I am asking, has this been discussed somewhere?

I am curious... how many racers here would describe themselves as a Fan.... (ie... in same way you might follow a ball team in a season)

My interest in sailing started as a fan of the 1983 A-Cup in Newport. Nuff said...

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 05:37 PM

I have not stumbled across any debate about the AC rules.

So... you are a Fan of the AC cup sailing.... anything else?

My fan activity was strictly about Conners getting the cup back in freemantle.... Nothing else has really risen above noise level...

Technology is always interesting in any area of sailing... see Dogzilla.

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 07:47 PM

I'm a casual fan of AC and VOR (well, PUMA really, and only because of a local connection), but a rabid fan of neither.

Of course, I'm not a fan of watching any sport. I'd much rather be participating.

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/17/11 08:07 PM

Watching is the key though... they measure eyeballs.

The entire ISAF Olympic debacle is premised on the idea that Olympic sailing can get eyeballs to watch. Are you rooting for any member of the US Sailing team?

I can't find any evidence that there are FANS of Olympic Sailing..

I don't see much evidence that there are many FANS of the x40's or any of the big Med Cup race boats.

I don't see any evidence that there are FANS of any of the OD classes we sail. Hell... questions were asked about why there was so little interest in the US sailors at the Pan Am games. (JW and GT)

How much interest is there in the A class worlds.. Are you rooting for a sailor..... The interest in the Worlds seems to be about what technology is proving out.

Do we have any FANS of the sport and what is needed to generate more Fans. I think the A45's have potential... What will it take so that you watch?

Posted By: Luiz

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/18/11 07:09 PM

Watching is the key though... they measure eyeballs.
What will it take so that you watch?

...and we're back to the girls in bikinis

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/18/11 07:34 PM

Good point!!!.... they should upgrade the chick waving the big checkered flag at the finish..

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/18/11 08:36 PM

That would at least give the flag a reason to be there...

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/18/11 08:45 PM

Aw!!!come on... you did not like the big checkered flag...
THIS IS REALLY JUST NASCAT

Let her flag the start as well!

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 04:01 AM

You didn't see my prior post? The checkered flag was just as pointless as the ridiculous champagne spraying.

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 04:14 AM

You are just not getting on board with this high brow program Mike.. this is NOT yachting... What is the fun in tasting the champagne from silver cups... Spray much better

This is NASCAT!

Think Megan Fox with that flag...

Tell me you don't think this would sell! I think Nascar was one of the top sports in the US when the economy was healthy.

NASCAT... NASCAT .... NASCAT (those west river N20 guys should make some money out of this)

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 04:51 AM

Even NASCAR has more class than having someone waving a flag so large that it can barely be held by a single person...

When else do you see champagne spraying? Typically, after a baseball team wins a pennant or World Series, hockey team wins the Stanley Cup, etc. Regardless of the title, these regattas are just not this important.

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 11:47 AM

Even NASCAR has more class than having someone waving a flag so large that it can barely be held by a single person...

When else do you see champagne spraying? Typically, after a baseball team wins a pennant or World Series, hockey team wins the Stanley Cup, etc. Regardless of the title, these regattas are just not this important.

Mike

And it's hurting...what again?

You guys are starting to sound like old fuddy duddies. You're getting worked up over someone waving a flag?
Posted By: orphan

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 11:48 AM

Tell that to the these guys, I don't think they will see it that way.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 01:04 PM

Hey! We've debated issues of far less value on this forum "When the other boat isn't racing is it a race?".

Now the question is, should the girl waving the flag be wearing a thong and F me pumps, or something a little less pro wrastling (as the bubba's say it)?

They also need entertainment between races, bikini wearing women pretty much doing anything would work for me, but I'm easily pleased.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 01:11 PM

Give the bikini wearing women water cannons!!!
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 01:30 PM

Cheerleaders in mermaid attire on marks (made to look like islands).

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 01:32 PM

I stand by it.

For the record, if the girl waving the giant flag was smoking hot and dressed as Ding describes (pumps, etc.), of course that would get my attention and be a hell of a lot more interesting, but certainly wouldn't add any class whatsoever.

As for the champagne for this event, I never said it "hurt" but it is truly pointless.

Reminds me of this... Last night in the NE vs. Tampa game, the (only) highlight of the night for Tampa was when they picked off a pass and ran it back 70 yards for a touchdown. Then, the idiot proceeded to dance in the endzone.

Apparently, he forgot to look at the scoreboard, at that point, they were down 28-6 (the 6 being from that play). That, and it was preseason, and he picked off a backup QB, not Tom Brady.

Could I have done it? Of course not, but that's not relevant either.

Save the champagne for when you win something that matters. A Worlds, VOR, a LV finals (to go to the AC finals), or the AC itself.

Don't get me wrong, I think these events are great, but to me, they don't even rise to the level of importance of a playoff game of any major sport.

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 01:52 PM

Okay, so there seems to be a general consensus:

- fit, attractive women in fancy clothes (or less) waving flags and Leg numbers (aka boxing)

- We have to figure out how to incorporate laser beams and cannons in there somewhere.

- Some means of marking boats with fouls on the graphics overlay (like the little red flag on the sail-x game)

- Celebratory antics, whether it be champaigne, mooning the RC boat, tossing the skipper off the stern, or something video worthy. Maybe hanging of the bikini top from the data pylon on winning boat?

- if we're to be true to the gender equality in this sport, should we include the post race interviews with the sailors in 3-piece suits holding a flower in a romantic restaurant speaking of how they long for a relationship of mutual respect and admiration? As you can tell, even after all these years of wedded peril bliss, I have no idea what interests women.

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 02:03 PM

You forgot the T-shirt cannon (or slingshot, depending on the budget)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyiJSS5LhZw

Mike

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 02:14 PM

that needs to go in the TEST thread! smile
Posted By: Keith

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/19/11 11:23 PM

When else do you see champagne spraying?

Mike

You mean besides on the podium of just about every F1 race?
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/20/11 12:08 AM

and every pro sports car race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3PGJPSS_Q
Sorry no music. It was used for a news piece.
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/20/11 11:48 AM

I'm sure the champagne makers and dealers love all the extra sales... a whole new market/use. Does anyone drink the stuff anymore?

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/22/11 05:45 PM

After every Steeplechase!
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/22/11 05:47 PM

http://www.mixcloud.com/wired/storyboard-episode-55-innovation-on-the-open-sea/

Re: AC45 Highlight show on Versus tongiht at 11 - 08/24/11 05:37 PM

OK, I guess I don't watch enough (any) F1...

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums