Catsailor.com

Watch out for Irene

Posted By: Jake

Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 06:06 PM

It looks like the forecasting for Irene just changed and they now have it hitting the US coast as a major hurricane.

NOAA

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 06:38 PM

Yeah, that would blow. supposed to get really close to WPB before it curves out.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 07:01 PM

man the beaches are going to take a beating.

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 07:09 PM

Hopefully it will be moving by fast enough that the beach erosion will be kept to a minimum.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 07:15 PM

Dang, Hugo relived? I live 110 miles from the coast and Hugo tore down trees in my apartment complex in 88, now that I have a house with some iffy trees, I better check on my insurance plan...quick!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dave mosley
Dang, Hugo relived? I live 110 miles from the coast and Hugo tore down trees in my apartment complex in 88, now that I have a house with some iffy trees, I better check on my insurance plan...quick!

Here in FLA, they wont write or edit a policy after a storm has been named....

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided

I suggest we all meet in TAD's (with rum) and wait it out... away from the beaches smile
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by Undecided

I suggest we all meet in TAD's (with rum) and wait it out... away from the beaches smile

Any of my cat sailing peeps that need to escape the storm and sit it out in a cinder-block built single story home that's been here since the 50's (its seen its share of storms) is more than welcome.

Rum would be great - but just to be safe, bring water too :P

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dave mosley

I thought Hugo was '89?

edit; yes it was. Here's a great link to a storm tracking site with all the historical tracks:

Storm Tracker

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 10:38 PM

you are right my good man, those were college years for me, kinda ran together if you know what I mean. Dont try to buy any plywood, water, bread, milk, or generators this week, prices will be shall we say...the high side.(Oh I forgot Blue tarps!
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/22/11 10:45 PM

Gosh that map does not look good for me. I am at the lower point in NC on the bad side of the storm. Still five days away so a lot can change. Will be good wind at Hatteras Regatta this weekend.

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 01:26 AM

No kidding Dave! I'm hoping that forecast will continue to see it bend more and more right and hopefully eventually safely into the Atlantic with no land fall.

BTW - that image I linked appears to be updating automatically with the latest forecast image.
Posted By: Keith

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 04:07 AM

The WC also showing it taking a path once on shore that would give the Chesapeake region another taste of Isabel (but maybe worse). Happy happy, joy joy...

Posted By: macca

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 11:03 AM

Im in Bonaire at the moment and the weather is fine, but the storm has sucked all the wind away from here... Not so good for kiting or sailing.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 04:18 PM

The Keys will likely stay open for a little while... Party at Steve's House! Where is that turkey fryer....?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dlennard
Gosh that map does not look good for me. I am at the lower point in NC on the bad side of the storm. Still five days away so a lot can change. Will be good wind at Hatteras Regatta this weekend.

Apparently they've ordered a mandatory evac for Ocracoke Island starting wed. morning, by Sat. , I doubt you'll be able to get to Hatteras unless you live there. It doesn't look to peachy for us David,stay safe. I guess I need to go tune up the Genset and the chainsaw. Damn ethanol.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 06:25 PM

Watch out for the earthquake! 5.8 NW of Richmond. We had to evacuate our buildings in Baltimore, MD....about 200 miles away.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 06:31 PM

It's DBNCSU's fault.... he wants the south to join the Mid Atlantic.... I thought pig's would fly first!

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 06:34 PM

Hey Todd looks like Irene is headed your way and going a little east of us. Hopefully it will stay off the coast. That ethanol has ruined too many of my small engine parts. Thanks government for another stupid law.

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
Watch out for the earthquake! 5.8 NW of Richmond. We had to evacuate our buildings in Baltimore, MD....about 200 miles away.

Why did parts of the building fail ?

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 07:06 PM

Precautionary. It was a good 15 sec shake. Some researchers suggests that there could be a big one for the East Coast. Started slow then had a couple of good bumps. We're not used to them around here...

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dlennard

Why did parts of the building fail ?

they are reporting "some" damage in one of the embassies in DC

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 07:13 PM

Precautionary. It was a good 15 sec shake. Some researchers suggests that there could be a big one for the East Coast. Started slow then had a couple of good bumps. We're not used to them around here...

I felt it sitting in my house/office in Wilmington NC for about 5 seconds. I have never felt an earthquake before and was trying to figure out what was going on.

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 08:56 PM

As posted online:

DC Earthquake Devastation

[Linked Image]

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of support, as we look to recover from the devastation of today's quake!

http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 09:07 PM

If a 5.3 freaks you out, don't ever visit California.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 09:17 PM

I was laying over in Tokyo 3 weeks after that big one they had up north of there back in March. About every 3-5 hours there was a pretty good aftershock and jolt. They build for it over there so our hotel just kind of rocked gently, back and forth...at first I thought I'd had too much Soporo, but then I realized what was going on.

Hurricanes and Earthquakes, it's all good fun until someone gets hurt...OR...maybe it's the end of Days!

I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until...2012 ??
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/23/11 09:50 PM

Looks like I'll be heading to Charleston to get the sailboat storm ready. Bimini down, sails off, double fenders and spring lines.
Hmm, did I remember to pay the insurance?

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/24/11 12:02 AM

We gotta get through October of this year first. The nut bag in Oakland pushed his date until then.

Next up is End of Days December 21, 2012. It might be a good excuse to go easy on Christmas presents next year.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/24/11 01:55 AM

Or throw a hellofa party!

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/24/11 02:33 AM

Which was worse?

East coast - 5.8 earthquake

West coast - Kardashian wedding
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/25/11 05:02 AM

Do you think this hurricane will have enough wind to make an AMF Sunfish move at a moderate speed? Or should I wait for a Cat 5 wind before taking out the Sunfish?

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/25/11 01:49 PM

It's looking worse for Hattaras..the track takes the storm inland enough around the cape that Hattaras would be on the east side of the storm and suffer the worst the ocean can throw at it.

Then...New York stands in the path of what's predicted to still have enough strength to be classified as a Category 1 hurricane by that time...not good!

Fingers crossed for a big rightie and this thing blowing out to sea!

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/25/11 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Peterson
Do you think this hurricane will have enough wind to make an AMF Sunfish move at a moderate speed?
Probably but the dagger will cavitate and you'll loose all control.

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/25/11 08:11 PM

yikes...models are moving a little more west putting Wilmington in the crosshairs. Hang in there Dave!

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/26/11 12:00 AM

I dropped my mast and added another anchor. Not much here. We had one wave so far. It is just about even with us now and we had high tide a little over an hour ago.

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/26/11 12:45 PM

This thing is huge, I did not think we would get much from it 110 miles inland of Charleston, but its size has made it bigger than once expected. Latest radar image on wunderground.com
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109_sat.html
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/26/11 05:40 PM

Don't you guys HATE the national media? Saw one report this morning, the guy was standing in the surf (I think it looked normal) trying to make is seem worse than it was at the time. The storm wasn't going to get there for a couple of days yet. Just like when we get storms here in LA, you can't get REAL info from those guys. Really chaps me how they handle it.

C
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/26/11 05:57 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed that Hyannis Yacht Club doesn't get flooded! We have moon tides at the same time Irene is going to hit us.
They just spent 2 million on rennovations to the first floor!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/26/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail
Keeping my fingers crossed that Hyannis Yacht Club doesn't get flooded! We have moon tides at the same time Irene is going to hit us.

Save HYC... Punk powers activate!

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/26/11 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by wildtsail

Save HYC... Punk powers activate!

Another shirt worthy zinger from the Ding!
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/27/11 12:05 AM

Rock Hall Yacht Club .... is in "Harm's Way" .... max wind is predicted to be 60-80mph ... w/ a 3-4 ft storm surge ... we went down yesterday and moved all the small boats up to the highest ground on the property ... which is the pine tree (25-30' tall)/camping area behind the clubhouse ... and tied the cats down to the pine trees w/ their trap lines ... (a trick I learned from "Lars G" ...thank's Lars!!!)

All the "Locals" pulled their boats ... that tells you something!!!!

So wish us luck ... here we go ....

HarryMurphey
H18Mag/P19MX
Posted By: Chris9

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/27/11 02:07 AM

heres on option

Attached picture 5.8 Irene 2.jpg

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/27/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Clayton
Don't you guys HATE the national media? Saw one report this morning, the guy was standing in the surf (I think it looked normal) trying to make is seem worse than it was at the time. The storm wasn't going to get there for a couple of days yet.

Yeah and I couldn't find any info on possible storm surge in WPB. You would think that with all of the boats on docks we have here they would at least try to guesstimate.

The tide was actually higher the day after it passed us than before.
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/27/11 08:46 PM

Couldn't get down to HYC all morning because of a parade of thousands of shriners driving down main street.
Ding you didn't tell me you were coming up here early!
Posted By: tigerboy1

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/27/11 10:32 PM

Wow...Irene could have an impact on both upcoming big F18 events...it's supposed to go right over Venise en Quebec.
Crazy stuff. Everyone on the right coast be safe.
Posted By: Chris9

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/28/11 01:50 AM

%!#$!%$ just felt the big tree right next to the house rub against the house. GREat!
Posted By: marine-insurance

Re: Watch out for Irene - 08/31/11 08:28 AM

Apparently they have called off the 911 Memorial, that's a shame is the damage really that bad in New York? Anyone live around there?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums