Catsailor.com

Registering a Hobie in Florida

Posted By: Jerry S

Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 03:31 PM

Just moved back to Florida from SC and I know this question has been brought up before, but I can't get a clear answer from the dmv office. Do I need to register a Hobie 18 in Florida. If anybody knows where I can find the statue that I can present to the dmv, will be greatly apprecated.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 04:31 PM

Welcome!

A google search on FL boat registration might help, first on the list...

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html

Hope this helps.

Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 06:22 PM

Is a non-powered vessel required to be registered and titled?

If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be registered and titled.

Posted By: tback

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 06:30 PM

Blades measure at 15 11/12 feet.
eek
Posted By: orphan

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 08:57 PM

Never registered my 20 ft and never had a problem. Are you having problems in Dunedin. I don't recall seeing any registration numbers on any of the cats the last time I was over there.
Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 10:27 PM

We have had 40-60 beach cats on our beach in South Florida for the last 20 plus years, from 14-21 feet. NOT ONE HAS EVER BEEN REGISTERED. This topic comes up from time to time and the only sailors who ever have a problem are the ones from Dunedin. I am on beaches on the East coast of Florida from the Keys to Melborne and never see one registered.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 08/31/11 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hullflyer1
We have had 40-60 beach cats on our beach in South Florida for the last 20 plus years, from 14-21 feet. NOT ONE HAS EVER BEEN REGISTERED. This topic comes up from time to time and the only sailors who ever have a problem are the ones from Dunedin. I am on beaches on the East coast of Florida from the Keys to Melborne and never see one registered.

Didn't that law just change to include catamarans a year or two ago? I seem to remember a discussion about it.
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 12:28 AM

Yes, the law was recently changed along with not needing nav lights at night. I am sure once the word spreads to the enforcement agencies, they will start enforcing it.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 12:30 AM

If you title your boat you WILL be required to register it. As far is it being enforced... time will only tell. It doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment but as municipalities realize it's another source of revenue I'm sure that will change.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 02:04 AM

Similar law exists in RI (16 feet = need to register). Lots of people assume that if it doesn't have a motor, it doesn't need to be registered. Not correct. Worse thing is, it's not a DMV item in RI, so you have to hunt for the right resource (easier now with internet of course).

I registered my second Hobie Cat, and was the only one at any event that had (from RI anyway). Never bothered again, and 3 H16s later, never had an issue.

Mike
Posted By: catman

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hullflyer1
We have had 40-60 beach cats on our beach in South Florida for the last 20 plus years, from 14-21 feet. NOT ONE HAS EVER BEEN REGISTERED. This topic comes up from time to time and the only sailors who ever have a problem are the ones from Dunedin. I am on beaches on the East coast of Florida from the Keys to Melborne and never see one register .

Just to clarify, We in Dunedin have not had any problems with it. There was one guy in St.Pete that had a Dart 20 who was trying to sell it to someone out of state. That person needed a title so they could register it in their state. It became a can of worms trying to get a title since Darts don't have VIN #'s. Instead of selling it he wound up cutting it into little pieces and throwing it away.
Posted By: Headhunter

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 01:25 PM

Just to clarify, that was a Dart 18 and it was at the Clearwater Sailing Center. He ended up selling the sails and making lawn furniture out of a really nice Dart, because he couldn't title or register it. I cried a little.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 02:26 PM

Two interesting things about registering my N20 in FL.

1) I couldn't get insurance for it unless it was registered.

2) Shortly (ok, 6 months or so) after I moved here, I got a letter from the county Tax Collector stating that I had an "unregistered boat" parked in my driveway. It came along with a sternly worded mention of fines and penalties if I didn't register the boat within 30 days.

Big brother is watching apparently.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 02:55 PM

Wow.. i was not asked for registration during insuring. I wonder if a claim can be denied if not registered/titled

In Dunedin you can't have a boat in your driveway/yard. it has to be behind a fence.. i know people that have had tickets for that.. but never heard of anyone getting notice for a registration

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 02:58 PM

Just to clarify, The guy was in my shop and we talked about it.
It was a Stampede. He put the mast and sail on a 17' windrider. Wahoo, He also owns a F-27 just to be totally accurate.

That will cost you another steak dinner along with fireworks.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by catman
Just to clarify, The guy was in my shop and we talked about it. It was a Stampede down at BCYC. He also owns a F-27 just to be totally accurate. That will cost you another steak dinner along with fireworks.

Hate to argue (no i dont) but this guy had an Dart 18. It was tan/brown. I almost bid on it when Parker got it from Ebay. Dave sailed it 1 or 2x before he sold it to this guy. I think the owner didnt know a 18 and 20 apart

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 03:08 PM

That makes two that have been chopped up then.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Two interesting things about registering my N20 in FL.

1) I couldn't get insurance for it unless it was registered.

2) Shortly (ok, 6 months or so) after I moved here, I got a letter from the county Tax Collector stating that I had an "unregistered boat" parked in my driveway. It came along with a sternly worded mention of fines and penalties if I didn't register the boat within 30 days.

Big brother is watching apparently.

I am suprised you had issues with insurance. Who do you insure through? I have never had any problems insuring my (unregistered) boat.

There is a clause in the statute regarding registration that boats used exclusively for racing do not need to be registered. That is the hook I am hanging my hat on. Very rarely am I sailing and not participating in some sort of a race.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 04:18 PM

I am certain it was the same guy. cause this guy did purchase the windrider and put his custom spars/sail on it

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 05:14 PM

Why can't rules be simple so we could actually follow them without hiring lawyers? (Rhetorical, I know it's because the legislators are mainly lawyers.)

The official website says register if over 16 feet. Pretty cut-and-dry, and I provided a link.

Folks here are showing different experiences [insurance clauses, racing may be a special case, discussion about special rules for catamarans (why should they be unique?), etc.]. Not saying I don't believe you (quite the contrary), but no links are provided, which is what would really help anyone trying to figure out what needs to be done.

As for "Big Brother" watching what's parked in your yard, that's definitely possible (there's a reason they hire tax assessors, etc.); but in my experience, it's more likely that a spineless neighbor who doesn't like seeing your boat (is jealous, or whatever), called on you. Yes, there are people who spend more time worrying about what other people are doing wrong, than leaving the house and actually doing something themselves...

ANYWAY, my advice overall would be to register it if you feel there is a strong likelihood of being ticketed, or just to ensure you will have no title issues selling the boat down the line. Otherwise, keep all your paperwork from your purchase, and bet on the odds that the cops have no clue either...

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 05:14 PM

I just insured 2 unregistered/untitled boats(both used) without a problem. What the state really wants you to do is title the boat so they can collect sales tax on used boat sales. Every new boat I titled because the tax was already paid and it did not cost you anything. A title is only needed if ownership is questioned or you want to register your boat.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Why can't rules be simple so we could actually follow them without hiring lawyers? (Rhetorical, I know it's because the legislators are mainly lawyers.)

The official website says register if over 16 feet. Pretty cut-and-dry, and I provided a link.

Folks here are showing different experiences [insurance clauses, racing may be a special case, discussion about special rules for catamarans (why should they be unique?), etc.]. Not saying I don't believe you (quite the contrary), but no links are provided, which is what would really help anyone trying to figure out what needs to be done.

As for "Big Brother" watching what's parked in your yard, that's definitely possible (there's a reason they hire tax assessors, etc.); but in my experience, it's more likely that a spineless neighbor who doesn't like seeing your boat (is jealous, or whatever), called on you. Yes, there are people who spend more time worrying about what other people are doing wrong, than leaving the house and actually doing something themselves...

ANYWAY, my advice overall would be to register it if you feel there is a strong likelihood of being ticketed, or just to ensure you will have no title issues selling the boat down the line. Otherwise, keep all your paperwork from your purchase, and bet on the odds that the cops have no clue either...

Mike

I was just looking over the website, the racing exemption clause appears to have been removed. Looks like a nice loophole has been closed.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 05:42 PM

Just to clarify, The guy was in my shop and we talked about it.
It was a Stampede. He put the mast and sail on a 17' windrider. Wahoo, He also owns a F-27 just to be totally accurate.

That will cost you another steak dinner along with fireworks.

Just to clarify, I don't think that guy's head fires on all 8 cylinders. I'd happily offer another feast but perhaps we should wait until your girl's hand heals from the last incident.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 06:37 PM

I was looking at all the pictures of Giligans Run and not one boat had numbers on the side. So if I show up with letters and #'s on each side of my boat does this open up a hornets nest for the local law.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 06:51 PM

yes

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 06:54 PM

No, We'll just tell them you have a motor. Ask the Jacksonville fleet. None of them have registered boats and it has not been a problem.
Posted By: Mlcreek

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 07:31 PM

Tell them you don't live in Florida, but a citizen of the Conch Republic!

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/01/11 09:13 PM

I just insured 2 unregistered/untitled boats(both used) without a problem.

It's easy to pay an ins. company. It's collecting thats the hard part. If they can find a way to get out of paying,. the make 100% profits...

Just to clarify, I don't think that guy's head fires on all 8 cylinders.

Catman or Dartman?

Originally Posted by Jerry S
I was looking at all the pictures of Giligans Run and not one boat had numbers on the side. So if I show up with letters and #'s on each side of my boat does this open up a hornets nest for the local law.

I heard a story from an old(er) sailor about a local sail maker who was arrested (many moons ago) and jailed for having fake numbers on his mono.

Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/02/11 06:08 PM

so if you register your boat, are you required to display the registration number for boats over 16ft, but under a certain size?

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/02/11 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MN3

I am certain it was the same guy. cause this guy did purchase the windrider and put his custom spars/sail on it

Perhaps, but he stood here and said "Stampede". He'll be in and we'll talk.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/02/11 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
I just insured 2 unregistered/untitled boats(both used) without a problem.

It's easy to pay an ins. company. It's collecting thats the hard part. If they can find a way to get out of paying,. the make 100% profits...

Just to clarify, I don't think that guy's head fires on all 8 cylinders.

Catman or Dartman?

I heard a story from an old(er) sailor about a local sail maker who was arrested (many moons ago) and jailed for having fake numbers on his mono.

Your labor rate just tripled.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/05/11 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
so if you register your boat, are you required to display the registration number for boats over 16ft, but under a certain size?

no mention of any display exemptions:
http://myfwc.com/boating/boating-regulations

however, these are summaries, not the actual articles/laws so... who knows. (maybe, MAYBE a maritime attorney)

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 01:17 PM

I've got two kayaks that are longer than 16 feet. That mean I have to register them as well?
Scratch that. I read that statement wrong

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 01:41 PM

Chapter 328 Florida Statutes

(abridged)

2)Each vessel operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state must be registered as a commercial vessel or recreational vessel as defined in s. 327.02, unless it is:
(a)A vessel operated, used, and stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds;
(b)A vessel owned by the United States Government;
(c)A vessel used exclusively as a ship’s lifeboat; or
(d)A non-motor-powered vessel less than 16 feet in length or a non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell, or rowing scull, regardless of length.

328.46Operation of registered vessels.—

(1)Every vessel that is required to be registered and that is being operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state shall be registered and numbered within 30 days after purchase by the owner except as specifically exempt.

VESSEL REGISTRATION FEES

Class 1—16 feet or more and less than 26 feet in length: $28.75 for each 12-month period registered.

(b)In 2013 and every 5 years thereafter, vessel registration fees shall be adjusted by the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index

(7)SERVICE FEE.—In addition to other registration fees, the vessel owner shall pay the tax collector a $2.25 service fee for each registration issued, replaced, or renewed.

(9)SURCHARGE.—In addition, there is hereby levied and imposed on each vessel registration fee imposed under subsection (1) a surcharge in the amount of $1 for each 12-month period of registration, which shall be collected in the same manner as the fee and deposited into the State Agency Law Enforcement Radio System Trust Fund of the Department of Management Services.

(c)The following registration periods and renewal periods are established:
1.For vessels owned by individuals, the registration period begins the first day of the birth month of the owner and ends the last day of the month immediately preceding the owner’s birth month in the succeeding year.

And for Ksurfer2's special exemption:

(14)EXEMPTIONS.—The following vessels are exempt from provisions of subsection (1):
(a)A vessel that is owned and operated by Sea Explorer or Sea Scout units of the Boy Scouts of America, the Girl Scouts of America, the Florida Association of Christian Child Caring Agencies, Inc., Safe Harbor Haven, Inc., or the Associated Marine Institutes, Inc., and its affiliates.
(b)An antique vessel as defined in paragraph (2)(a).
(c)A non-motor-powered sailing vessel that is owned by a nonprofit entity and used exclusively for teaching boating safety, boat handling, or seamanship skills, including the racing of such sailing vessels.

So Karl, being "non-profit" as a gub-ment employee, and teaching old fat guys like me how to not crash into lobster pots at night while speed-reaching in the Keys should qualify... right?

The civil penalty for any such infraction is $50

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 04:34 PM

"Each vessel operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state..."

There must be an exemption somewhere for visiting boats.

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 07:04 PM

Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers issued to visiting boaters for a period of 90 days. An owner who intends to use his vessel in Florida longer than 90 days must register it with a county tax collector. However, he may retain the out-of-state registration number if he plans to return to his home state within a reasonable period of time.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html#5

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 08:16 PM

Florida's new motto

"Just give us your damn money, okay?"

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 09:53 PM

I am just waiting for them to impose a non-impact fee

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/06/11 10:02 PM

Whatever it is it's better than a state income tax.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 01:34 PM

ohhhh
we just pay our state income taxes in different ways. i.e higher fuel taxes, taxes on clothing, etc

and i bet thats fl state income tax will be in place withing a few years if we don't get out of our fiscal deficits

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
ohhhh
we just pay our state income taxes in different ways. i.e higher fuel taxes, taxes on clothing, etc

and i bet thats fl state income tax will be in place withing a few years if we don't get out of our fiscal deficits

I looked (a long time ago) at a couple of engineering jobs in Florida and inquired about the lowish salary rates...more than one company explained that they make up the difference with "Florida sunshine equity" and the lack of a state income tax. The tax offset wasn't enough to justify the higher cost of living and the low wage...and I can't buy food with "sunshine equity". grin

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 01:53 PM

The tax offset wasn't enough to justify the higher cost of living and the low wage...and I can't buy food with "sunshine equity"

But you will die Thin and Tan... smile

when i moved here in 94 from the Northeast, the cost of living was at least 33% lower than the up north. Add the lack of state income tax, and it is "attractive". there has been tons of inflation but it still is cheaper than my old class mates pay in rent, insurance, food, etc.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 03:16 PM

I have to say that since moving here - I love it. Nothing better than living in Florida IMO. I miss all my friends up in GA and the Carolinas but for my peace of mind, its great.

As for cost of living, sure gas taxes are higher here, but not as bad as in some other areas that DO have an income tax on top of it all.

http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/upload/GASOLINE_TAX_MAP_JULY2011.pdf

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
ohhhh

I'll take that bet. Since we have a Gov with balls the state has gone from a 3 Billion deficit to over 1 Billion surplus.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
The tax offset wasn't enough to justify the higher cost of living and the low wage...and I can't buy food with "sunshine equity"

But you will die Thin and Tan... smile

when i moved here in 94 from the Northeast, the cost of living was at least 33% lower than the up north. Add the lack of state income tax, and it is "attractive". there has been tons of inflation but it still is cheaper than my old class mates pay in rent, insurance, food, etc.

Yeah...but I was looking in the Port St. Lucie area and equivalent housing value that I am enjoying upstate SC was cinder-block shackville. So I was either going to have to drive inland to live or find a way to get rich quick - which would have precluded my need for gainful employment.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 03:25 PM

Jake,

Believe me, if you're living near the coast, you want to be living in a cinderblock house.

Size is another matter.
Posted By: FLL

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 04:57 PM

Jake,
That was then about Port St Lucie. Check it out now. Things are dirt cheap and real buys can be had everywhere.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 05:11 PM

It's still the definition of "urban sprawl". And Cape Coral, too. Don't ask me how I know.

What are you looking for, Jake? Round these parts, it's flat, flat, flat. You want space? Go to the middle (Okeechobee, Loxahatchee, or any other indian sounding name). You want views? Pay a boatload for a little condo on the water.

Timbo's got the deal... nice little house on the lake. Lake Placid is the same way. An hour to the beach (either coast)

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 08:19 PM

"projected" surplus | also, technically not a surplus but .. "unallocated general revenue"

Sure, we are up 1 bill.. but they just slashed 1.7Billllliuons from schools and courts... Ask Renee, they just had to cut another 24 million from pinellas schools.
- http://fundeducationnow.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/floridas-self-inflicted-budget-crisis/

"Slashing $1.75 Billion dollars is legislative shock therapy applied to Florida’s public schools.
Florida Legislators are on a mission to destabilize and cause great pain to our children, their teachers and their schools. "

http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...t/gov-scott-says-deficit-turned-surplus/

Originally Posted by MN3
ohhhh

I'll take that bet. Since we have a Gov with balls the state has gone from a 3 Billion deficit to over 1 Billion surplus.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 08:21 PM

Agreed! so much mellower than the northeast.
year round sailing, and more..

Originally Posted by Undecided
I have to say that since moving here - I love it. Nothing better than living in Florida IMO. I miss all my friends up in GA and the Carolinas but for my peace of mind, its great.

As for cost of living, sure gas taxes are higher here, but not as bad as in some other areas that DO have an income tax on top of it all.

http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/upload/GASOLINE_TAX_MAP_JULY2011.pdf

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
"projected" surplus | also, technically not a surplus but .. "unallocated general revenue"

Sure, we are up 1 bill.. but they just slashed 1.7Billllliuons from schools and courts... Ask Renee, they just had to cut another 24 million from pinellas schools.
- http://fundeducationnow.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/floridas-self-inflicted-budget-crisis/

"Slashing $1.75 Billion dollars is legislative shock therapy applied to Florida’s public schools.
Florida Legislators are on a mission to destabilize and cause great pain to our children, their teachers and their schools. "

http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...t/gov-scott-says-deficit-turned-surplus/

Originally Posted by MN3
ohhhh

LOL, I'm not going to get sucked into this but if you think spending money in a completely wasteful manner is making kids smarter then I have a bridge you might want to buy. Do you think your going to get an objective opinion from union worker? Shock thearpy my a$$. I can't believe you put that crap up there. Any time you think you lack of money is the problem open your check book and send the union whats left over from your pay check.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/07/11 10:12 PM

Oh no, I blinked and this thread morphed into Drill Baby Drill...

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 11:43 AM

It's still the definition of "urban sprawl". And Cape Coral, too. Don't ask me how I know.

What are you looking for, Jake? Round these parts, it's flat, flat, flat. You want space? Go to the middle (Okeechobee, Loxahatchee, or any other indian sounding name). You want views? Pay a boatload for a little condo on the water.

Timbo's got the deal... nice little house on the lake. Lake Placid is the same way. An hour to the beach (either coast)

What!? And leave my Garage Mahal? I'm not looking now.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 01:36 PM

I am not starting a debate on unions, or if the money cut from the schools was a good or bad call.. just saying...
"after a huge slash in the budget, and then claim we have a "surplus" is a stretch. Especially when it's not even realized money.. it's projected
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
I am not starting a debate on unions, or if the money cut from the schools was a good or bad call.. just saying...
"after a huge slash in the budget, and then claim we have a "surplus" is a stretch. Especially when it's not even realized money.. it's projected

It appears you are starting a debate. "Just say it" in the Drill thread (which never should have been here).
Keep the pollution in the (Rick's hit count thread). How about back on topic?

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 02:41 PM

I think the original topic was well covered and what is the big deal if a thread morphs into other side topics?

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
I think the original topic was well covered and what is the big deal if a thread morphs into other side topics?

It's political - please take it to the political thread so we don't have to see it if we don't want to.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 03:04 PM

so house hunting, large garages, state income tax, cinderblock house construction etc are all acceptable off-thread comments, but talking about state budgets are political and non acceptable?

I call BS

I wasn't starting a political discussion, we are talking about florida still..This is a FORUM for goodness sake... get over it if the topic goes a little off skew
Posted By: SoggyCheetoh

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 03:06 PM

seems like someone is just in the mood to argue.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SoggyCheetoh

not really

I just don't like censorship or being told to "take it elsewhere" when others can freely express their thoughts but somehow my opinions aren't allowed in because they are about a budget "surplus"

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 03:55 PM

TOPIC: So without going back through 6 pages of conjecture, how does one register a vessel, in this case a beach catamaran, in the state of florida without a title and how much does it cost?

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 03:59 PM

No one is trying to censor you.

You're right, tangents are a real (and annoying) part of life on forums.

While house hunting, materials, and garages are annoying enough; when the tangents get into taxes and politics, that raises the annoyance level to a new level.

There are many of us who purposely don't open the Drill-type threads. I guess that we're just asking that you respect that.

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 05:52 PM

Since your boat is from out of country, and probably never had the paperwork from the dealer... unless you can get Yves to send you new (old papers)... you are in for a world of pain trying to title it.

Originally Posted by Headhunter
TOPIC: So without going back through 6 pages of conjecture, how does one register a vessel, in this case a beach catamaran, in the state of florida without a title and how much does it cost?

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html#6

When a vessel has been sold and the owner is no longer available to provide proof of ownership, how do I, as the purchaser, get information to contact the titled owner in order to obtain the certificate of title?

Notify your local tax collector or license plate agency in writing stating the problem and provide the vessel's Florida registration number. The local tax collector or license plate agency may provide the name and address of the titled owner with the necessary instructions for transferring the ownership of the vessel into your name. However, some agencies do not provide ownership information for vessels to the public. Instead, as stated in DMV Procedure TL-07, they may provide the titled owner (by writing directly to the owner of record) with the purchaser's released contact information (name and address) and any necessary instructions. The owner then has the option to contact the purchaser to assist them. You may also contact the department to obtain ownership information for the vessel owner by completing a form HSMV 85054, Motor Vehicle/Vessel Records Request. The department's mailing address is shown at the top of this form.

What should the purchaser of a vessel do if the titled owner does not assist in obtaining the certificate of title or an executed bill of sale?

A Florida court order would be required to issue a certificate of title in the purchaser’s name.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 05:56 PM

It's just his time of the month. Just say the usual, Yes dear, Yes dear. Yes I'm listening. OK. Yes Dear. wink

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 06:15 PM

It's just his time of the month. Just say the usual, Yes dear, Yes dear. Yes I'm listening. OK. Yes Dear. wink

I told you to stop calling me "Dear", and no we can't hold hands

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 06:25 PM

I think you need the title (unless there's an age cutoff, such as boats older than 10 years don't need a title).

Is this a new boat, or bought from the original owner? You might be able to work through the dealer/manufacturer to obtain a copy of the certificate of origin, and try to go from there.

Mike
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 06:53 PM

I have never registered my cat and if asked I'll play dumb, it usually works. I think Hans gave a bill of sale that I tucked away somewhere 30 years ago. There will have to be a grandfather clause somewhere if taken to task.

In Palm Beach County we do have a special Annual Parking Permit for county parks that have saltwater access for boat trailers. I wouldn’t feel so bad if they taxed all the golf carts at the same time but you know us Yachtsmen we have deep pockets right?

We use to have a county commisioner who was a cat sailor and boater years ago, that supported our causes. I think he is out of jail now - he accept donations.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
so house hunting, large garages, state income tax, cinderblock house construction etc are all acceptable off-thread comments, but talking about state budgets are political and non acceptable?

I call BS

I wasn't starting a political discussion, we are talking about florida still..This is a FORUM for goodness sake... get over it if the topic goes a little off skew

Pretty much...but political discussions take 2 responses to degrade to name calling and hateful retort. Getting off track about something simple like housing is innocuous.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
Since your boat is from out of country, and probably never had the paperwork from the dealer...

You're in the same boat, are you not? Any plans to contact Yves or just let it ride?

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 07:20 PM

That makes sence and is the only answer so far i dont want to argue.

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by MN3

I call BS

Pretty much...but political discussions take 2 responses to degrade to name calling and hateful retort. Getting off track about something simple like housing is innocuous.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 07:23 PM

I contacted Yves when the law went into effect. No responce.

I also called Jill to ask if she may have been the dealer for my cat... she then contacted the State Tax Chief(?) who didn't even know about the new law.

The info Jill gave me didn't satisfy me (her answer was opposite what the new law stated) , and at the time she was using the "boat exclusively for racing" answer... which seems to no longer be a valid remedy

Someone on our beach has some blank dealer forms that could be fudged and used. I personally will wait for a ticket before i take any actions.

Even if i got a ticket, i wouldn't go with the fake forms.
It's not worth the risk to me

Originally Posted by MN3
Since your boat is from out of country, and probably never had the paperwork from the dealer...

You're in the same boat, are you not? Any plans to contact Yves or just let it ride?
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 08:03 PM

Block houses - heck ya.
When I moved to South FL I remember a childhood story and when the realtor showed me the straw and wood house I was not interested. I wanted the brick house for the hurricane Wolf are we in W’s yet this year!

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/08/11 08:26 PM

Not to mention those little bugs called TERMITES. So far they can't eat concrete.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/09/11 02:33 PM

can someone talk about girls jumping on trampolines? That tangent would at least be worth reading.. And I doubt it would carry much controversy or vitriol...

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/09/11 03:31 PM

can someone talk about girls jumping on trampolines? That tangent would at least be worth reading.. And I doubt it would carry much controversy or vitriol...

you want to "talk" about girls jumping on trampolines? I say pics or it never happened.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/09/11 06:31 PM

ya mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTc5oUKS6xg

reposted without permission, so don't look.

Posted By: sail7seas

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/09/11 07:02 PM

Macaw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1foQKD3OI

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/09/11 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by sail7seas

That is Frickin' hilarious.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/10/11 12:58 AM

OK, now that we’ve completely gone off the deep end…

I see your:
Originally Posted by Clayton

And raise with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbOTfETx28&feature=related

Best part is the slow-motion replay (like there was a need)…

As for this…
Originally Posted by sail7seas

All I can say is, anyone remember Robert Schimmel? “ 9-1-1. 9-1-1…”

RIP, Bob…

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/11/11 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
How about back on topic?

The next time i am asked to get back on topic ... the answer is NO

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/11/11 10:06 PM

Dude, get some sleep.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
How about back on topic?

The next time i am asked to get back on topic ... the answer is NO

Man , that really got your panties in a wad. How about another request? Remove your head from your a$$ and have some consideration for the boatload of folks that come here to read about sailing and not your political garbage. I guess you think everyone is ganging up on you too? Jake explained it to you. Get over yourself.

Todd

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 01:08 PM

And i haven't said another word about budgets, or taxes.

I disagree my comments were political but am willing to disagree and respect peoples wishes and keep political stuff aside (i dont even like talking politics)...

But "stay on topic".. not gonna even consider that request again.

I dont think nor care if people were ganing up on me. I just think it's hypocritical of people to say stay on topic, and then continue to or not stay on topic them self.

This is a forum where free thought and expression are supposed to take place... letting a discussion take a natural course and evolve (or devolve) is a part of it. If you don't what to see what I write.. than block me.

Posted By: Clayton

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 01:38 PM

So, did the boat get registered? Inq

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 03:00 PM

I registered the boat, but never did get a clear answer on this site. I'm surprised that a boat dealer wouldn't respond. So now I have to pay the $35 every year.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 03:17 PM

Hi Jerry, I thought it was covered.

Legally it's required. In actuality, many people either can't title (and register) their boats cause they never had the right paperwork, or (b) they choose not to and risk the ticket/fine etc

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 03:53 PM

I registered the boat, but never did get a clear answer on this site. I'm surprised that a boat dealer wouldn't respond. So now I have to pay the $35 every year.

There's no question that if you purchase a new cat these days you will get a title.

These type of boats used to be treated like dirt bikes were. You would get a MSO. Manufactures Statement of Origin. Now you could take that and get a title but most people didn't because they weren't required to register them. Now that's all changed.
When you buy a dirt bike or cat you will get a title.

The problem is in how the older boats without titles are being treated. With the dirt bikes you could simply go to the tag office give them the VIN# and they would run it through the data base and if it didn't come as stolen then they generated a title for you no questions asked. With the cats they are treating people like they're guilty of a crime. Some boats have no VIN#'s due to repair or never having one ala DART. To add to the problem you can talk to different tag offices and get different answers. So people are flying under the radar in lieu of hiring a lawyer and going in front of a judge to prove ownership of a $1000.00 boat.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/12/11 05:05 PM

Jerry, so you had a title the whole time? MN3 is right, that is where most people have issues.

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/13/11 04:41 PM

South Carolina required a titile, but not a registration. I needed a title so I could get beach pass sticker to leave the boat on the beach without being fined in Mrytle Beach. The tag office wouldn't give me a title at first because I did't have one from Florida. So I just told them I had bought the boat from a guy who had it on a private lake and the title was issued. There are ways at getting the title if needed.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/13/11 05:28 PM

There are ways at getting the title if needed.

Yes but there are also penalties for getting busted lying on govt / registration forms. Some are felonies. I am not willing to take those risks.

I am glad you got what you needed, and i find it odd (but not surprising) that FL wouldn't honor your out of state title and sell you a in state one.... they transfer titles (and collect fees) for a living

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida - 09/13/11 05:45 PM

This isn't a political tangent, I promise...

It always amazes me how difficult these processes can be. Probably a direct result of the state-to-state nature of how governments work. Not saying that a national registry would solve all problems, but most issues I've ever had in a registry has been the result of interstate purchases.

Here's a fun example:

I live in MA, but my dealer is in RI. My dealer insists that she must collect RI sales tax on trailers (even from out-of-state buyers), and that all I need to do is show my receipt to the MA registry, and I won't have to pay sales tax to MA.

I've gone through this twice. The people in the MA registry are so defiant that they must collect the sales tax (and I'm not paying this twice), that it always goes to a supervisor, who never knows what to do.

Basically, I've learned to go in near the end of the day, play dumb (and be really, really polite!!!), and show all the paperwork. With any luck, they whine about it for a while, then just waive the tax and let you register the trailer and go on your way. If they're having a bad day, they'll make you come back the next day so they can think about it some more...

As far as I can tell, there's no obvious mechanism for MA to collect the tax from RI (which is what I think the intention is).

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums