Catsailor.com

Annapolis to Oxford

Posted By: Keith

Annapolis to Oxford - 09/10/11 03:36 PM

Last minute mention I know, but is anybody coming up for this? Great fun beating up on the monos, and this year you can square off against a Seacart 30!

NASS Annapolis to Oxford Race

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/10/11 09:05 PM

Hate to miss it. Even had a drink bet with one of the Seacart 30 crew. Not in the cards this year.Great race ,have a blast Keith.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/10/11 10:17 PM

Right now I'm looking at the all the junk in the Bay from the storm. Amazing amount of very large stuff everywhere. There's a line of junk all around the mouth of the Magothy. Hope that stuff's cleared out before next weekend.

The attendance is looking to be pretty light on beach cat front this year...
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/12/11 06:41 PM

I'll take the TheMightyHobie18 w/Spinnaker down the bay if I can leave it at WRSC or elsewhere Friday night...

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/13/11 02:35 AM

I gotta believe we can make a spot either at WRSC or at the Church St. lot for you. Come on out. A TheMightyHobie18 with spin would the ratings boat to win!
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/13/11 04:12 PM

There's a beach at the end of Bay Ridge Rd that overlooks "R2" and is only a mile or so away. We have staged out of there previously ... the only hitch is the is NO PARKING there so you need be able to come by, throw your gear out, and the vehicle must leave ....

you may wish to check it out ...

Harry

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/14/11 03:32 AM

When we've done that we kind of had "permission" from some people that lived there (just that they wouldn't turn us in...). Last couple of times we've just left real early and sailed out from Galesville. Makes for a longer day, but hey, you're out sailing.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/15/11 03:20 AM

Keith, do you have to be a CBYRA member and/or U.S Sailing member to register? They aren't letting me without those numbers and I sure as hell ain't paying no additional race fees driving my cost to do this one event to $150...

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/15/11 03:29 AM

N.M, put in B.S in those categories and registered. See you Saturday!

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/15/11 03:43 PM

I'm not a member of either and have registered through them numerous times. I hope you registered for the Hammond race back on Sunday too.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/16/11 12:05 PM

I didn't, no crew for Sunday so I'm taking the boat back to my house or back to Annapolis Saturday depending on the wind and if my boat stays in one piece.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/17/11 08:35 PM

Abandoned, didn't make it to the start in time. Followed the fleet to the choptank and decided to continue to cove point. It was a reach down the bay so we were back at my house at 2:30pm, going up the chop tank looked slow and we already found out we are slow upwind against current.

There is a lot of crap out in the bay, we were screaming and hitting crap all the time, fortunately everything stayed together.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/19/11 04:41 AM

Choptank was slow going! I was amazed at the amount of crap floating in the Bay. We were successful in avoiding almost all of it, had to stop to clear some big stuff off the boards a couple of times. Bruised the leading edge of a rudder. Thankfully a lot had cleared out for Sunday. Seacart 30 was the boat to have this weekend!

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/19/11 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Keith
Seacart 30 is the boat to have this weekend PERIOD!

Fixed it for you

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 09/20/11 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Keith
Seacart 30 is the boat to have this weekend PERIOD!

Fixed it for you

Fixed it proper, too! I'm now torn, Gunboat or Seacart? Maybe one of both, for slightly different purposes when the whim hits. Looking at the elapsed, on both days the Seacart finished 13 minutes faster than us. I figure that means one of you faster guys would have given it a run for its money!

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/01/11 03:42 AM

Cover of the new Spinsheet has one our N-20 brethren from the Oxford start. Finally got a cat on the front, we hit the big time!

Spinsheet

Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 12:48 PM

SpinSheet October Issue Cover

Direct link to the cover. For those not familiar with the race, it was the Annapolis start to Oxford (31 miles). In the background is Thomas Point Light. This is an annual race of over 130 boats, some years in excess of 180. Fleets are started with 5 min intervals and the beachcats are released last....over an hour behind some of the fleets. Typically, line honors is a challenge between the beachcats, a 72 foot sloop, a couple A0 Perf, and now king of the bay a Seacart 30 trimaran.

TAYC in Oxford puts on a great party that is followed with a Sunday race back out the bay towards Annapolis...about 20 mi.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 12:57 PM

Nice that looks like Keith!

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 12:58 PM

Nice photo! Time for me to get a real spin boat up here so I can actually give Keith and the Seacart 30 a run for their money. Anyone have a used F20c for sale?!?
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 01:13 PM

Krantz can hook you up if you really want a F20c used.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Nice that looks like Keith!

That was John Geiger trapping and John Peil skippering. Start was a tight spin reach. Notice the water. Very unusual...aftermath of TS Lee. They had to open 75% of the Conowingo Dam's floodgates on the Bay's main tributary (Susquehanna River) leading to a lot of run off and debris earlier in the week.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dlennard
Krantz can hook you up if you really want a F20c used.

Yeah I was just kidding, I can't afford a used F20c. Plus Westriver has super shallow water, there would be some broken/nicked/damaged expensive boards. F18 has the largest fleet size in NA, that is the class that makes sense to get into. Mischa can beat the N20's in a F18, so clearly the boat is "fast enough".

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 03:47 PM

Sam,

My guess is you have not seen the new boards on the F18's. The one's on the new mk2 are over 6' tall, much more draft than the F20c since the F20c curve under the boat.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 04:00 PM

I stood next to JC's new boards on friday night. They are just as tall as I am.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 04:13 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen the super new high aspect ratio boards. I've seen the Wildcat boards and they didn't scare me too much. I was probably going with an older boat (Tiger/Capricorn/Infusion Mk1) that has shorter foils anyway. It will take 2 years for me to get to the level of sailing where I need a new boat anyway. Plus if the foils are the problem, I can build a set in my shop, but I doubt those are going to hold me back much if at all.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 04:14 PM

Hey I have to get Renee a step ladder to be able the operate the boards.

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/03/11 04:16 PM

Haha
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/04/11 12:20 AM

The Nass Race is a awesome race .... one of the first years that some "Beach Cats" raced in it there was approximently 250 monomarans under spinnacker racing down the Chesapeake Bay to TAYC/Oxford. By the time we started it looked like a forest in front of us ... and all the different colored spinnackes was a memory for a lifetime ...

And you may "bitch" at him ... but it was Mr Mark Schnieder who did all the work and arranged for a offical "Beach Cat Class" to be included in the event after Mark and I on his Tornado in Sept 2000 "un-offically" did the race on a "last minute lark" (we decided to do the race at approximently 3:00pm on Friday since we had no other racing that weekend !!! and we wanted to go to the PARTY !!!!)... after reaching TAYC we parked his Tornado on the beach by the "food" tent ... we discovered many sailors in the food line that had sailed beach cats and were happy to see us there ...

For the first three years it was Mark on his Tornado .... Roger (from Gailsville) on his Supercat 22 .... and me on my P19MX ...

Congrats on the cover !!!!! It's nice to see you guys keeping it going !!!!

Harry
H18Mag/P19MX

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/04/11 04:58 AM

This has certainly turned into one of the high points for beach cat sailing on the Chesapeake. Closest thing to the C-100 of days gone by.

The pic on the cover is John and John. John Peil has said he thought the picture boat was following them because they were sure they were going to capsize! The John's also have a great pic after the Hammond race back on Sunday, with John Peil's nice face wound. They had an interesting time of it that day...

After slogging out of the West River and dodging an unbelievable amount of crap in the Bay (logs, whole tree trunks, tires on rims, boards, buckets, and a 55 gallon plastic drum floating vertically just below the surface, just to name some of it) we got to the starting area on time, only to flub it by misreading where we were in the counts and heading off to the side to answer nature's call. Result - late to the start two years in a row! We ran the rum line along the marks down the Bay, shifting gears and playing the boat to drive up/head down on the course as needed. By the time we got into the Choptank only the 18HT (singlehand) was in front of us, and of course the Seacart. Upwind in the Choptank was a bit of challenge, and the two PHRF A0 boats that we had easily dispatched out in the Bay became upwind machines that ground us down got back by us, as the wind got a little up and down allowing only occasional trapping. The Seacart was first over the line, then the two A0 boats split by the 18HT, then us. Given that the two A0 boats started 10 minutes before us, and the Seacart started 5 minutes before us, it wasn't too bad of a finish. As the 18HT was singlehanded we corrected over for the win.

The cool thing about finishing up front in this race is that you get to watch the rest of the 100+ boats racing up the Choptank to the finish. Even if I didn't do the race I'd be tempted to drive there just to watch the finish.

Great party as usual at TAYC, and nice to walk the docks and check out the bigger multis, grab some drinks, shoot the breeze.

The Hammond race back the next day had more wind, as it picked up overnight still blowing from the Northeast. The Start of the Hammond is a fun affair, because once again the beach cats start in the back, but the first mark comes just as we start to really run down the bigger boats. A bit of pucker factor as you dodge some of the bigger stuff that may or may not feel like they need to watch the rules when you're around. A lot of wild reaching (spin and jib), a long upwind, then downwind spin run to get to the mouth of the Choptank to drive upwind in the Bay all the Way to the finish near Poplar Island. We had our usual cluster in the Choptank, starting out with our spinsheets getting fouled as went to launch the kite at the start - instant back of the pack at the start again... We were neck and neck with the Johns and Kris turning up the Bay, but we stretched out on that leg (upwind double trapped big waves looking for logs) to get line honors. Kris on his F-16 got us by 19 seconds corrected (about 12 seconds on the water) for the win. Second year in a row for us taking line honors and getting caught by an F-16...

Attached picture 100_0002sm2.jpg
Attached picture 100_0003sm2.jpg
Attached picture 100_0008sm2.jpg

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/04/11 03:47 PM

Last picture is your 12 seconds wink
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/04/11 05:14 PM

that's a lot of "iced tea"... smile

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/05/11 12:06 PM

I think Alec needed only 19 secs to finish it grin.
Posted By: SoggyCheetoh

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/05/11 12:18 PM

$20 dollar pitchers baby!

Re: Annapolis to Oxford - 10/05/11 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SoggyCheetoh
$20 dollar pitchers baby!

What a deal... cry cough,cough. The Triple Threat drink program works much better and is WAY more economical.

p.s. Did they give any "check in failure" penalties this year? Yeah, I'm still bitter.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums