Catsailor.com

Looking for.......

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Looking for....... - 09/23/11 11:33 PM

Looking to get my hands on a BROKEN/THRASHED NACRA 20 second generation rudder and a dagger board.

You have one laying around let me know.

Posted By: samc99us

Re: Looking for....... - 09/25/11 02:21 AM

2nd generation??? I heard those rudders were barely useful as a paddle...

I have the broken off head of 3rd generation rudder and I'm fairly certain I also have full, 100% working condition, pro-tuned 3rd generation rudder lying around.

Looking at making molds?
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Looking for....... - 09/25/11 06:36 PM

Dude, step away from the bowl.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Looking for....... - 09/25/11 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums

Dude, step away from the bowl.

Dude! Didn't you tell me you prefer the first generation to the second generation rudders?
Posted By: Keith

Re: Looking for....... - 09/25/11 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by samc99us

I have the broken off head of 3rd generation rudder and I'm fairly certain I also have full, 100% working condition, pro-tuned 3rd generation rudder lying around.

Looking at making molds?

I like the third gen rudders myself. But that probably just means I'm ham-handed on the helm and can't appreciate the joys of ventilation from the first gens. You interested in parting with the one you have laying around?

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 01:55 PM

There are 3 generations of N20 rudders:

1) 1st gen, narrow blades
2) 2nd gen, fat blades that no one has great things to say
3) 3rd gen, properly designed fat blades. Also in use on the Infusion Mk1.

My boat had Phil's foils tuned 1st and 3rd generation rudder blades. We used the 3rd gen blades for most of our racing until one literally disappeared from the bottom of the transom down in the Tybee. Then we switched to the 1st gen blades, which worked fine for distance racing, no real ventilation/cavitation issues. We used them for 1 or 2 buoy racing deals afterwards, and I didn't really like them for that style racing-at slow speeds, aka on the start line in light air, they didn't have the authority I experienced with the Gen 3 blades and am used to on other boats (those monohulled things).

Keith, PM sent.
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 02:25 PM

I have a new 2nd gen rudder - still in the plastic that I'll let go for $100

-Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 02:40 PM

Wonder if you could "3-d print" foils like that?

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 04:00 PM

Possible with SLS technology. Could possible use a normal (ABS Plastic) 3D printer to make the male on which a female mold is pulled. Normal ABS 3D printed foils will not stand up to the loads.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 04:38 PM

that's what I was thinking - use it to make/modify a mold for a cheap(er) way to tweek a design...?
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 06:43 PM

2nd gen rudders never could be tuned quite right. Dig up a set of first or 3rd gen blades if you can.

Re: Looking for....... - 09/26/11 09:36 PM

John,
My boat came with a bunch of 2nd Generations and 2 sets of 1st Gens. I sailed with the 2nds for a few years before I even tried the 1st gens. Being used to the 2nds, I hated the 1sts. They seemed to cavitate too easily. I did on GT with the 1st and went back to the 2nds. Would like to switch to the 3rds but now that you need a tube of KY to buy them, I may not.
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: Looking for....... - 09/28/11 03:52 PM

I have a 1st gen rudder sitting in the basement. It's not usable in current condition, but could be fixed fairly easily.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Looking for....... - 09/28/11 06:32 PM

I have four 1st gen rudders and three daggerboards that I need to unload.

Re: Looking for....... - 09/28/11 09:45 PM

Jake, I'll buy one or all of the daggers. I tried to pm you but your box is full.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums