Catsailor.com

2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container

Posted By: David Ingram

2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 08:45 PM

I'd really like to do a container for F18 Worlds, the prospect driving to LA and back really holds very little appeal, as much fun as driving to Hyannis and back was 24 hours is my limit. Maybe stage out of Atlanta or Pensacola.
Posted By: Jake

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
I'd really like to do a container for F18 Worlds, the prospect driving to LA and back really holds very little appeal, as much fun as driving to Hyannis and back was 24 hours is my limit. Maybe stage out of Atlanta or Pensacola.

I've priced leasing a semi-trailer for a month and hiring the tractor and driver to haul it back and forth...it was around $12,000 to $14,000. A steel shipping container might work out better.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 09:02 PM

This year it was about $8000 for a west to east container. We ended up not doing it and tripple stacking a trailer and chartering one boat and another drove themself. It's a long drive 4 to 5 days unless you drive 24/7.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 09:03 PM

How many boats can you get in a container?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 09:06 PM

With 10 boats, that is very reasonable IMO, especially when you factor in the time, fuel and finding someone to willing to put those kinds of miles on their vehicle. 2012 Worlds... you have 9 months to get your sh!t together Ricky, gandpa Ding is coming for ya!
Posted By: brucat

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by F-18 5150
This year it was about $8000 for a west to east container. We ended up not doing it and tripple stacking a trailer and chartering one boat and another drove themself. It's a long drive 4 to 5 days unless you drive 24/7.

What were the total costs of this option (gas, tolls, hotels, meals for the drivers)? Did you save ANY money? Sounds like costs of 2 tow vehicles, plus the cost of 1 charter boat to be included in the calculation.

I've looked at the costs of a cross-country jaunt. For my RV (est. 7 mpg), the gas alone is something like $3500, no idea about tolls. Of course, you can drive straight through (rotate drivers sleeping in back), avoid hotels and eat out of the fridge (cheaper than stopping at restaurants or fast food). But, you're limited by how many boats will fit on the trailer (and won't stress the tow vehicle), which will increase the cost per team.

Speaking of which... there's always the possibility of unplanned repairs mid-route. I've double-stacked from New England to FL 3 times. Each trip required the tow vehicle (3 different ones) to be repaired just to get home. Fortunately, one time, the vehicle was driveable enough to make it to the regatta, and the other two times the breakdown happened on the return trip, so we didn't actually miss any of the regattas. 2 of them required transmission work, which meant finding an uplanned way home from mid-trip, then back to retrieve the vehicle and boats after the repairs were complete. Good times... (And no, we don't use that trailer anymore, it killed another vehicle on a trip to Madcatter, so it's officially cursed.)

So, if a container will hold 8 boats (or if you have 5 teams to share it), would it be cheaper anyway?

(I know, there's the hidden "cost" of losing your boat to shipping for a month or more with getting it shipped at the height of regatta season.)

Mike
Posted By: John Williams

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 09:48 PM

FYI, we are planning for containers to arrive during the week prior to the Labor Day Regatta, which we expect many F18 teams will want to sail. So you can factor in an extended stay if you so choose.
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 10:15 PM

There will be a container from New England, probably 10-12 boats. I know several teams expressed interest in Labor Day, but I'm not sure if it has been decided when our container will arrive. If anyone from the NE area wants in on the container and wasn't at the Eastern Area meeting, let me or Mike know so we can have a current list of those interested.

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 10:56 PM

Fuel $ 2300.00
Tolls about $ 175.00
Hotels $ 480 (8 nights)
Food well since I eat every day I didn't include it.
Charter was $ 1500.00 for a Tiger.
All four boats involved chipped in to cover charter and fuel costs. Worked out well for us.
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/02/11 10:58 PM

The europeans at Catacup had 12 boats in the container comfortably.
Chances are we won't actually end up with 10-12 boats from the New England fleet itself but we will definitely have enough for a container and the Canadian fleet should bring us back up to 12 if need be.
I sent an email to a few of you with my idea of etrack versus a rack.
I'm not sure how the rail systems work but that would be the cheapest way to send a container. If you can't go rail you could just get a truck with etrack installed and the truck might even provide the bars.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/03/11 12:20 AM

Going to fill two container tomorrow for the Thailand Regatta, 23 boats in total (Is anyone here going?).
Mostly F18s but a handfull of F20s and Darts as well.

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/03/11 02:17 AM

I'm hoping to be there, I will be in Singapore all of January and February, so it would be pretty convenient. Another guy from the New England fleet is also going to be in Thailand in February for work, so if we can find a charter we're in. Have sent a few emails trying to find a boat.... nothing yet.
Posted By: Reiss

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/04/11 06:12 PM

Dave, Reiss/Whitehead would be very interested in the container option! Sounds like a great plan.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 12/05/11 06:43 PM

I'd agree with wildtsail, the intermodal container will probably prove to be the most cost efficient. Can move by rail or truck without breaking open the container.

How many boats fit in a 40' container?
Posted By: Chilean F18

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 02/22/12 04:11 AM

Hi: For US from Chile, we are hoping to have boats to charter,
if not we`ll have to buy. Does the organisation has to supply boats for all foreigners like me? or are we on our own?

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 02/22/12 04:36 AM

What are you looking to charter? which brand?

Re: 2012 Worlds and an East Coast Container - 02/22/12 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chilean F18
Hi: For US from Chile, we are hoping to have boats to charter,
if not we`ll have to buy. Does the organisation has to supply boats for all foreigners like me? or are we on our own?

I would get in touch with your preferred brand, they will probably have boats available. As far as I know, the organizers are not in charge of supplying charter boats. Any chance you can get a container organized for some of the South American boats? Looking forward to having you there!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums