Catsailor.com

carbon repairs

Posted By: claus

carbon repairs - 01/03/12 01:54 PM

Hi!

I have just switched to a boat with carbon daggerboards and I would like to ask if someone could comment on how to do little repairs (dents on the trailing edge from contact with dagger slot) with carbon boards. On my Tiger I just used gelcoat w/ sanding, is this the way to go for carbon too? Maybe black gelcoat? Or should I use some special epoxy resin?
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: carbon repairs - 01/03/12 03:33 PM

Fill the chips with epoxy resin thickened with coloidal silica/cabosil
Sand it down
Colour it in with a black permenant marker pen
Overspray with lacquer
1200/1500 wet and dry
polish
Posted By: catman

Re: carbon repairs - 01/03/12 11:48 PM

Use epoxy with some west system graphite for color, a little mil fiber for strength and thicken with cabosil ( It's called fumed silica now ) . If you can't get the graphite then what VMG said. I wouldn't use the black gel coat. No point in mixing polyester with the epoxy.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: carbon repairs - 01/03/12 11:53 PM

I'd gelcoat the whole thing white.

I like the exposed carbon on the edges on my last couple of Vipers, but you can never make it look 100% like you can if its just white.
Posted By: claus

Re: carbon repairs - 01/04/12 09:30 AM

Thanx a lot, looks like epoxy is the way to go. I have found this product, which is black and seems to be thickened, do you think it is apt?

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products/epoxy-resin-repair-filler-sealer.aspx
Posted By: Jake

Re: carbon repairs - 01/04/12 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by claus
Thanx a lot, looks like epoxy is the way to go. I have found this product, which is black and seems to be thickened, do you think it is apt?

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products/epoxy-resin-repair-filler-sealer.aspx

You don't need a specialized product. Some regular epoxy (West System), cabosil filler, black dye (www.uscomposites.com). Mix in the filler to get a thick, almost peanut butter-esque, consistency, stir in a few drops of dye, use some tape as a guide on one side of the board, apply goo to the board. Let it cure, sand to a finish.
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: carbon repairs - 01/17/12 05:04 PM

I agree with Jake thickened West System and dye or pigment. Be careful when sanding to not cut into your "good" Carbon Fiber laminate around your repair and weaken the area.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums