Catsailor.com

shroud tension

Posted By: Disc20

shroud tension - 09/04/02 07:40 PM

Hey Guys,

Need some advice.

I've got a 20 foot trimaran. The boat is very stiff, absolutly no articulation in the hulls. I've got a fractional square top rig with a carbon (no spreaders) rotating pole and boom.

Question: I sail in 10-15 knots normally. Keeping all this in mind do you think I should keep the stays loose or tight. I can't seem to find the proper balance. The only time I got a clear feeling was in a drifter race with a loose rig.

Looking forward to your insight.
Posted By: Kirt

Re: shroud tension - 09/06/02 12:15 AM

Well, knowing no more than the minimal amount you posted, I can only give you some generalities. I assume by "pole" you mean mast? And since it's rotating I assume it's some teardrop (likely w/ no spreaders) shape and you have a headsail(s) like a jib or genoa- IF all this is true then-

1) Talk to your sailmaker-

2) You want tight shrouds in 10-15 (at least upwind) because if loose the headstay will "sag" to leeward and hurt your ability to point, as well as allowing the mast to sag to leeward hurting power (this may or may not be an issue under these conditions). In light air this is not the issue and then looser shrouds can help by allowing the mast to rotate properly (usually not an issue in higher winds)-

Just my opinions but hope it helps-

Kirt
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums