Catsailor.com

SNU snuffer question

Posted By: ewindsail

SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 03:39 AM

Thinking about switching to a SNU system from my current mid pole system on a Blade 16. Is it worth the cost to switch. Pros and cons please Thanks in advance smile
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 03:55 AM

I've got the SNU on my Stealth, HT, and ARC22, and I'm thoroughly pleased with all of them. I enjoy giving Dennis my money. I haven't seen the Blade system though, so can't say which is better.

Dave
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 04:29 AM

I've had 4 snuffers. The stock Hobie one and 3 SNU's. I keep upgrading and selling my old one. Advantage smooth operation, no drilling easy use. Disadvantage, can't think of any.
Posted By: tback

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by F-18 5150
no drilling easy use.

Be sure to tie wrap tightly and tape securely, else the SNU will slide down the pole on retrieval; thereby constricting the opening and making deploying and retrieving very difficult.

Note: You can always rivet the SNU to the pole and this would never happen ... downside is that then you can't take the hoop off if you need to travel with the spin pole outside your trailer box.

Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 12:53 PM

I've had the SNU on a Blade and Falcon. Sexy, very well designed, and nice cover. I preferred the none mesh bottom bag, less drag on the chute and never had any issues with water in the bag. Functionally, pretty much the same as a simple hoop. If I broke a hoop or needed to replace the bag then I would replace it with the SNU.

I always riveted it.
Posted By: kristin

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by tback
Originally Posted by F-18 5150
no drilling easy use.

Be sure to tie wrap tightly and tape securely, else the SNU will slide down the pole on retrieval; thereby constricting the opening and making deploying and retrieving very difficult....

Don't ask him how he knows.....
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 01:52 PM

Contact your local AHPC representative when ready to order......... lol

Did you move your 20?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 02:59 PM

Dennis is extreemly nice to work with. Although i didn't end up getting a snu, he was willing to customize one for my taperd pole, and next time i would go with him (esp after seeing them in person)
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 04:01 PM

Yes....Dennis provides very good support, is always looking to improve the SNU, and will customize hoops and bags.

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 04:33 PM

We have a SNU on the M20 and F18 that works great!

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 04:53 PM

i did have a question about the mesh bag i have seen, My friend has one on his TheMightyHobie18, and it looked a bit abrasive to me... any issues with that mesh wearing spins out faster than the old sail material ones?

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 06:38 PM

I didn't notice any more wear, but it did seem to take some more effort to snuff the spinnaker, even with them Homelko'd (sp)
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 08:54 PM

I put the SNU on my Wildcat... worth every penny. I've seen too many poles scoop water and break at the rivets. The SNU addresses these problems and actually works better than any other snuffer I've used.
It might be a little bit harder to snuff with mesh instead of sailcloth at the bottom, but it's worth the reduced stress added by the lack of drainage in a full sailcloth snuffer bag. I've not noticed any added wear to the spinnaker from this.
Posted By: ewindsail

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 10:03 PM

So are you saying that its better not to rivet the SNU on but to just tape and tie as shown on the web site
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/20/12 10:14 PM

I have been tape and tying mine since 2007 never had it move on me.

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/21/12 12:33 AM

I don't even bother with the zip-ties. I just tape the length, and have had zero issues.

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/21/12 12:48 AM

Ties and tape has worked fine for me as well.

Dave
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/21/12 01:40 AM

I just ordered a Snu for my N20. Been meaning to for a long time. I don't thing the pole breaking at the rivets is an issue. I've broken at least 3 poles from driving the bows into a wave too fast and they have all broken at the bridal wire/pole support area. If the rivets were an issue, I would have had at least one failure there. Initialy I was concerned about drilling holes and rivets due to possibly creating a weak spot. In my experiences, that just hasn't been the case.
Dennis is constantly evaluating the Snu and what could be done better. I don't think there is any other system on the market that has that kind of "evolving" engineering behind it. Besides, Dennis is just a cool mofo.

Re: SNU snuffer question - 01/23/12 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I didn't notice any more wear, but it did seem to take some more effort to snuff the spinnaker, even with them Homelko'd (sp)

good to know, thanks Karl (et al)
Posted By: Eric B. Holmes

Re: SNU snuffer question - 04/20/14 03:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

[Re: Hobie 20 Midpole Snuffer System]

Please pardon the simple question, but I can't seem to find any contact info. for the SNU folks. Could you let me know their Phone/Website/email? I've already tried: info@gobarefootstudio.com but no response. I'm looking for a Midpole snuffer for the Hobie 20. Here is a link to their installation instructions [ezsnu.com site not working...]:

http://www.gobarefootstudio.com/PDFs/SNU_H20Spin_1.pdf

Hobie 20 Profile showing Sloop Rig:
http://www.sailboat-data.com/images/bateau/31/2.jpg

Does anyone have the Skip Elliot standard dimensions for the Spinnaker using the SNU?

Many Thanks,

Eric

Blog:
http://porsche924s1987.blogspot.co.uk/p/hobie-20-mainsail-hoist-problem.html
Posted By: bacho

Re: SNU snuffer question - 04/20/14 04:33 PM

Eric,

The link that you provided for the H20 instructions works fine for me. Is that not working for you?

The telephone number is (619)528-1269

Re: SNU snuffer question - 04/20/14 04:44 PM

Try this:

dennis@gobarefootstudio.com

Sailmakers generally build a spin for a specific boat, rather than a snuffer system. Usually the length of the snuffer sock is determined by the size of the spin and the number of snuffing patches. Dennis can help you with all of this.

Dave
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums