2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 10:52 AM

Boats entered for the the trials:

Hobie 16 – Hobie Cat
Hobie Tiger – Hobie Cat
Nacra 17 – Nacra Sailing International
Nacra F16 – Nacra Sailing International
Spitfire S – Sirena Voile
Tornado – International Tornado Class Association
Viper – Australian High Performance Catamarans (AHPC)
Posted By: Timbo

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 11:56 AM

Thanks for the list. Interesting that 3 of them are F16 type platforms. Where and when is the trial going to take place?
Posted By: NacramanUK

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Thanks for the list. Interesting that 3 of them are F16 type platforms. Where and when is the trial going to take place?

17th to 25th of March in Santander, Spain..

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 12:05 PM

Thanks. I found it on Google maps, looks like a great location.
Posted By: Gav F18

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 12:26 PM

Hobie 16 is with Spin.

Could be the dark horse especially if they supply boats.

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 12:45 PM

I hope there's lots and lots of wind! The Hobie 16 loves big wind!
Posted By: daniel_t

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 01:14 PM

No Topper SL16 on the list... Shame.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 05:27 PM

No F-20C ?
Posted By: Headhunter

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 06:07 PM

No Sizzler. I'm appalled.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by NacramanUK
Boats entered for the the trials:

Hobie 16 – Hobie Cat
Hobie Tiger – Hobie Cat
Nacra 17 – Nacra Sailing International
Tornado – International Tornado Class Association

In the end ISAF will choose whatever they like, regardless the tests, submissions, participants, etc.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Luiz
In the end ISAF will choose whatever they like, regardless the tests, submissions, participants, etc.

Sadly I have to agree.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

Sadly I have to agree.

eh... that is not a fair critique... the test pilots and the sailing tests can really only contribute information about the boat's performance on the water. There are only two new boats in the trials and only one boat looks or tries to be special (N17).

What don't people know about a Hobie 16 with spin, a Tiger, a Viper, or the Spitfire.?
These multihull trials are pretty dull... After the Nacra 17 (how fast is this boat with the curved foils and 100 lbs lighter then an F18) ... It becomes a choice... It's like choosing between chocolate and vanilla ice cream. choose one... it is really not a decision based on the boats merits..

Take a look at the invitation. This has always been a political judgement on what equipment would be the most widely adopted. Of course ISAF has to make that call... ISAF is the political organization for all of the MNA's that go Olympic racing.

Why do you think Hobie paid to trial a H16 with spin? If ISAF primarily wants an established boat world wide... ISAF will make a decision on the basis of the established world wide factor. The test pilots don't have the authority to decide.

Posted By: daniel_t

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/01/12 09:28 PM

Luiz,

Yes, they will choose whatever they like... It's our job (recreation really,) to try to guess which one they will pick. Maybe we should start a pool? Or at least a poll. :-)

Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 12:53 AM

I agree the Multihull submissions are pretty straightforward... the women's skiff entrants are much more varied imho.

One important part of the debate is who is US Sailing going to send to the trials to represent us? Would be a fun gig, and I hope the person has a solid background in performance sailing.
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 03:09 PM

If it was choice of F16 which one?

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 04:12 PM

If it was choice of F16 which one?

Depends on the rest of the deal...

The Olympics dominate the summer ISAF schedule. The next quad needs events world wide in mixed multihull beyond the ISAF grade I events. The idea is that you need to build the competitor field. So... does one of these builders have an event plan?... Does a builder then raise the bar and provide charter boats for international teams competing at these events ... Does one builder have training camps or something included for the juniors in this brand new pipeline.

Obviously... this poker game will be behind closed doors.

I think picking one F16 flavor based on sailing properties is about the same as choosing between Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry ice cream and as inconsequential.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 08:06 PM

Spitfire is a SMOD class and does not measure in as an F16.

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Sadly I have to agree.

eh... that is not a fair critique... the test pilots and the sailing tests can really only contribute information about the boat's performance on the water. There are only two new boats in the trials and only one boat looks or tries to be special (N17).

What don't people know about a Hobie 16 with spin, a Tiger, a Viper, or the Spitfire.?
These multihull trials are pretty dull... After the Nacra 17 (how fast is this boat with the curved foils and 100 lbs lighter then an F18) ... It becomes a choice... It's like choosing between chocolate and vanilla ice cream. choose one... it is really not a decision based on the boats merits..

Take a look at the invitation. This has always been a political judgement on what equipment would be the most widely adopted. Of course ISAF has to make that call... ISAF is the political organization for all of the MNA's that go Olympic racing.

Why do you think Hobie paid to trial a H16 with spin? If ISAF primarily wants an established boat world wide... ISAF will make a decision on the basis of the established world wide factor. The test pilots don't have the authority to decide.

Let us suppose that you are right. In this case, why waste time and money in submissions, test pilots travel expenses, overseers expenses, secretarys expenses, committe members expenses, trials, commitee meetings, written conclusions, other commitee meetings in another country, etc.? ISAF could and should spend this time and money in useful things. In the end the old guys in the council do whatever they want, so why bother with all this? I guess we all know the answer: money.
It goes like this:
I would ask the local sailing federation to pay my sailing vocations in Spain, eeeeer, Olympic equipment trials in Spain then... politics!! Too bad the commodore knows the king, sails a SC15 and is first in line...

This is how ISAF, US Sailing and other federations work. And this is why I refuse to do anything but sailing. I don't like sailing "politics", just sailing.

BTW, this was just an example, our country isn't sending anyone to "trials", "commitees" and the like.

Take care,

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 09:20 PM

I think picking one F16 flavor based on sailing properties is about the same as choosing between Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry ice cream and as inconsequential.

Except for the manufacturer.

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/02/12 09:30 PM

Let us suppose that you are right. In this case, why waste time and money in submissions, test pilot travel expenses, trials, commitee meetings, written conclusions, other commitee meetings, etc.?

That's easy... the N17 is a new design, the Nacra F16 is also a new flavor in the F16 world. Nobody has sailed them yet.. The Spitfire probably is not known in Asia or North South America... so... you have a trial, the sailors get to say these boats acceptable... these boats not... The politics is needed to get the max number of MNA's on board and willing to get a team to the Olympics.

ISAF should spend our time and money in useful things. In the end the old guys in the council do whatever they want, so why bother with all this? I guess we all know the answer: spend money. Easy money.
It goes like this:
I would ask the local sailing federation to pay my sailing vocations in Spain, eeeeer, Olympic equipment trials in Spain...

Problem is the commodore knows the king and is first in line. This is how ISAF, US Sailing and other federations work. And this is why I refuse to do anything but sailing. I don't like sailing "politics", just sailing.

OK.... just a standard rant against the powers in charge, sailing politics etc ....
No worries... but politics is the only way you get a consensus.

Would you be happy if the King just made a decree on classes and boats? ..

Posted By: catandahalf

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/03/12 02:48 AM

Were the 'Tranados' ever supplied by one manufacturer?
Posted By: Jake

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/03/12 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by catandahalf
Were the 'Tranados' ever supplied by one manufacturer?

Technically, no. In reality, yes. By the end, only the Marstrom was deemed worthy by the competitors.

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/03/12 02:46 PM

I think the Brits used a Grahm Eccles built boat that they thought was a bit better then Marstrom and would measure into the templates. ISAF forced a measurement standard on the masts though, which became SMOD for the cycle for competitive and economic reasons.

Flexibility in the class rules (Tornado) will lead to development and money spent... thus pricing the class out of the reach of many. SMOD changes the game from develop what you want...to find what you want in the production run.

(All of those old ISAF goats that Luiz just blasted get to study each boats class rules and figure out what the loopholes are... and what will have to be changed for ISAF to make it olympic .... Sounds like fun to me)

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/03/12 08:55 PM

(All of those old ISAF goats that Luiz just blasted get to study each boats class rules and figure out what the loopholes are... and what will have to be changed for ISAF to make it olympic .... Sounds like fun to me)

It is fun! It just happens to give an edge to the richer/smarter MNAs while less developed MNAs have a perfect excuse to spend other people's (or government) money to send useless politicians to the venue.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: 2016 Olympic catamaran equipment evaluation entrants - 02/04/12 02:56 AM

It is fun! It just happens to give an edge to the richer/smarter MNAs while less developed MNAs have a perfect excuse to spend other people's (or government) money to send useless politicians to the venue.

Again Luiz has nailed it.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums