Catsailor.com

beam production

Posted By: BadLatitude1337

beam production - 02/01/12 07:43 PM

Hey guys Charlie Trinque here. A friend and I are designing 2 prototype catamarans a new f16 and also a new f20open. I was wondering who people are using to make mast sections and beams? Alum mast and beams for the 16 and carbon mast and beams for the 20. I might make the carbon beams myself but will not attempt the mast lol.
Posted By: Jake

Re: beam production - 02/01/12 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BadLatitude1337
Hey guys Charlie Trinque here. A friend and I are designing 2 prototype catamarans a new f16 and also a new f20open. I was wondering who people are using to make mast sections and beams? Alum mast and beams for the 16 and carbon mast and beams for the 20. I might make the carbon beams myself but will not attempt the mast lol.

Hall Spars is in the business of making carbon beams for a-cats and I'm sure they can whip up a couple of beams to whatever dimension you need...for a price.

There's really only one company that's building cats in the US today - you might want to try touching base with Matt at Falcon Marine and see if he can hook you up with pieces parts of that nature.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: beam production - 02/01/12 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
There's really only one company that's building cats in the US today - you might want to try touching base with Matt at Falcon Marine and see if he can hook you up with pieces parts of that nature.

Aquarius Sails in Wyoming MN. They build the ARC boats. Tom is a heck of a nice guy.
Posted By: Will_R

Re: beam production - 02/02/12 01:15 AM

Hall's A-Cat mast section is larger than the Marstom M20 section. Last time I talked to them, a blank tube was pretty reasonable when comparted to the Swedish one....

I know where there are some blank, extra long carbon sections for I20.
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: beam production - 02/02/12 03:53 PM

http://www.forterts.com/

Attached File
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: beam production - 02/02/12 05:21 PM

There is alot more load on the beams than you may think( google Atheon on SA).It's the last thing you want underbuilt. If you buy or build get a little heavier schedule than you'd expect. I've got Forte beams on my present A, and wish the builder had gone a little thicker/stiffer. They have been overwrapped since, but it's not the same as having them built thst way from the beginning.
Posted By: Lost in Translation

Re: beam production - 02/02/12 06:43 PM

I think Matt is going to be producing masts as well.

I agree on beam stresses. I know some A cats have considered retrofitting a dolphin striker to stiffen up the main beam. Seems like an effective way to go from a weight standpoint.

Re: beam production - 02/02/12 11:48 PM

thx for all the info guys keep it coming lol

Re: beam production - 02/06/12 09:48 PM

next Question. OK found a few places that can produce what we need. im thinking of using 6061 alum any one have any suggestion?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: beam production - 02/06/12 11:44 PM

6082 its stronger and more corrosion resistant
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: beam production - 02/06/12 11:59 PM

Contact Red Gear Racing, Robbie has a pile of used Tornado beams.
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: beam production - 02/07/12 11:14 AM

There was a very long discussion over on the F16 forum re carbon v ali beams. In general use there really was not a lot in the strength and tensile differnces. Wouter went into a very detailed analysis with lots of facts and figures to substantiate both sides of the story.

However a lot in street cred and a lot in your wallet may be the deciding factor.

Don't knock dolphin stikers, they do have other benefits other than tension support of the beam, I use mine as the place to put my foot on when climbing back over the front of my F16 after righting the boat, really miss that on my A which only has a carbon beam.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums