Catsailor.com

New crew weight limit for Olympic cat?

Posted By: Mary

New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 07:03 PM

Roland Gaebler just posted this on Facebook.

Roland Gaebler
Sorry, I have no words for it..... I am so frustrated......ISAF target women 62.5kg and men 76.5kg weight for Kiteboarding evaluations in Santander. That means they calculated 139kg average for a women and men complete and we as Mixed Multihull Team are forced to get into a average of 130kg for a COMPLETE team weight. In Kiteboarding they use the normal mens weight analytics and in Mixed Multihull... they play with ultralights again? WHY? Can someone explain me this? Its looks something is on the wrong track...... by the way... average men is 81kg and women is 65kg.
Posted By: pgp

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 08:02 PM

130 kg = 286 lbs. Isn't H16 class wt. 285?
Posted By: Wouter

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 09:03 PM

I'm sorry to say that Roland is full of it.

Average weight of 20 year old US women is 58 kg

http://whijink.home.xs4all.nl/HU/Strandzeiler/Body_measurements_girls_2_to_20_years_old.cj41l022.pdf

Average weight of 20 year old US males is 71 kg

http://whijink.home.xs4all.nl/HU/Strandzeiler/Body_measurements_boys_2_to_20_years_old.cj41l022.pdf

All data supplied by

Developed by the National Center for Health Statistics in collaboration with
the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (2000)

Roland is actually quite active in getting the Tornado reselected into the olympics and like some he feels every tool in the trickbox may be applied towards that end.

No matter what people say about the ISAF weight range selection, ISAF did not choose the wrong numbers. They are perfectly in line with typical demographic body specs.

Wouter
Posted By: daniel_t

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 09:03 PM

My wife and I are only about 118kg...

The specs in the original request said, "it is desired that the sailors combined weight will be within the 120-140 kg range." I don't see what Mr Gaebler could possibly be complaining about.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 09:09 PM

What could he complain about ?

Well, that the olympic boat selection is not longer geared towards "less then athletically build 48 year old men living in some European country between the Netherlands and Poland"

I know, a wild guess at his motives.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
130 kg = 286 lbs. Isn't H16 class wt. 285?
Yes

Originally Posted by daniel_t
My wife and I are only about 118kg...

The specs in the original request said, "it is desired that the sailors combined weight will be within the 120-140 kg range." I don't see what Mr Gaebler could possibly be complaining about.

He's complaining (albeit indirectly) that the Tornado is unlikely to be chosen as the Olympic multihull for 2016.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/27/12 09:35 PM

just checked one of those non USA Olympic polls

Care to guess which class leads the fleet... with 769 votes
Hobie 16 with almost 40%

Just sayin.....

http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/
Posted By: daniel_t

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by "mbounds"
He's complaining (albeit indirectly) that the Tornado is unlikely to be chosen as the Olympic multihull for 2016.

But certainly he isn't surprised by this!? As already noted the specs specifically called for a boat optimized for a 130kg crew weight (+- 10kg.)

I wonder why the Hobie Tiger or the Tornado were even entered. Surely nobody thought they would actually get chosen, did they?
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wouter
I'm sorry to say that Roland is full of it.

Average weight of 20 year old US women is 58 kg

http://whijink.home.xs4all.nl/HU/Strandzeiler/Body_measurements_girls_2_to_20_years_old.cj41l022.pdf

Average weight of 20 year old US males is 71 kg

http://whijink.home.xs4all.nl/HU/Strandzeiler/Body_measurements_boys_2_to_20_years_old.cj41l022.pdf

All data supplied by

Developed by the National Center for Health Statistics in collaboration with
the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (2000)

Roland is actually quite active in getting the Tornado reselected into the olympics and like some he feels every tool in the trickbox may be applied towards that end.

No matter what people say about the ISAF weight range selection, ISAF did not choose the wrong numbers. They are perfectly in line with typical demographic body specs.

Wouter

Wouter;

Those charts are TARGET weights. Actuals are closer to 75 for men / 65 wowen. Don't usually quote Wiki; but this is based on captured data not charts that are desired numbers from the medical profession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_weight

My workes in this area and states that these charts are out of date and form a "desired growth path that is out of date".

Note the dates on the linked page; US data is as old as your charts, I'd bet if recorded/,measured now the numbers weights would be higher.

Posted By: Luiz

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by scooby_simon

Those charts are TARGET weights. Actuals are closer to 75 for men / 65 wowen. Don't usually quote Wiki; but this is based on captured data not charts that are desired numbers from the medical profession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_weight

My workes in this area and states that these charts are out of date and form a "desired growth path that is out of date".

Note the dates on the linked page; US data is as old as your charts, I'd bet if recorded/,measured now the numbers weights would be higher.

Why use the average weight of a population for choosing Olympic equipment? The average weight of existing competitors within the target age interval would make more sense. It is a boat for Olympic athletes, not for the average Joe/Jane.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 11:27 AM

Why not use the average weight of Olympic Athletes in that age range.

Now, do we use the East German Woman's swimming team, or the Chineese woman's gymnastic team?

;^)
Posted By: Smiths_Cat

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

Now, do we use the East German Woman's swimming team, or the Chineese woman's gymnastic team?

;^)

did you know that the East German state does not exist since 1990? Hope your charts in the plane are updated wink

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 02:33 PM

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out there is a very large range in Olympic athlete body types! Years ago I heard the East German coaches went to China to show them how to grow big swimmers, any truth to that?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smiths_Cat

;^)

did you know that the East German state does not exist since 1990? Hope your charts in the plane are updated wink

hahahah, I wanted to post the same thing.

I say set a maximum weight, and no minimum. Get some people willing to really push the limits of the human body if they want to compete. Set the max combined crew weight at something like 165 lbs.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Originally Posted by Smiths_Cat

;^)

hahahah, I wanted to post the same thing.

I say set a maximum weight, and no minimum. Get some people willing to really push the limits of the human body if they want to compete. Set the max combined crew weight at something like 165 lbs.

165 lbs combined? So an 80 and a 85 lbs crew.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 08:56 PM

Yep. I want to see athletes pushing themselves to the limits. Like horse jockeys
If they can get themselves down to say 60lbs each, all the better.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 09:03 PM

See, I knew you'd come around sooner or later.
Posted By: brucat

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 09:37 PM

The only thing wrong with those growth charts is, they don't account for the "Freshman Fifteen." If you don't know what that is, ask a female college student (sophomore or higher)...

Mike
Posted By: John Williams

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/28/12 10:02 PM

Or post-pregnancy fifteen... had a hard time getting rid of that.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams

You wear it well, hardly noticeable.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 04:04 AM

Well if the weight is that low guess JW will be an olympian. he's about 70 lbs in gear.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 01:07 PM

He could easily knock of another 5 with a good haircut!

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 01:58 PM

He and Peasie were sure kicking a lot of -fat- butts at Tradewinds!
Posted By: John Williams

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 02:35 PM

I *tried* to slow her down. The woman's got no slow; its all giddyup.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 03:03 PM

I've got to get her to talk to my wife...you know, the one nobody's ever met, because she's never been to a regatta, let alone get out on a boat! "It's not safe! Those things flip over!"

I guess she's forgotten about how many times she's been tossed off a horse or nearly kicked in the head.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 03:22 PM

I *tried* to slow her down. The woman's got no slow; its all giddyup.

Great! I have a huge crush on the woman and have to go and say something like that!
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 02/29/12 09:01 PM

Obviously not in the boobs
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/01/12 11:54 PM

Ok Guys,

Having gone down to Annapolis to the US Sailing Meeting and sat in on the Multihull Meeting followed immediately w/ a "adhoc" meeting about the Olympic Multihull Boat Selection process .... there was something mentioned that was important ....

The Olympics Multihull Compitition will be geared to "World-Wide Competitors .... that means that a boat and crew-wieghts will be set that allow competitors from areas like Asia to be competitive w/ their smaller body size/physics. The rules for the event will not be written to favor the "europeans and Americans" w/ their larger body-sizes ... this is also one of the reasons that a "Tornado"/20ft Cat would not be selected ... but ... niether would the H16 since it is extremely dated and is "low-tech" compaired to the newwer boats such as the F16 ...

Harry Murphey

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 09:59 AM

I personally feel the short list is as follows (when taking all aspects into account)

Viper
Tiger
Nacra F16
Nacra 17

The others are not really contenders with serious chances.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 10:38 AM

Who are you quoting harry?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 12:07 PM

Dina Kowalshyn
Posted By: macca

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 12:19 PM

Don't you mean Carolijn?
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG

It is more like paraphrasing. Other items included that it will absolutely be a mixed team for 2016 (some think one & done - moving on to separate male & female events in 2020). I got a sense that the target weight dictated a younger team, 25-30 something for the US before middle age weight onset and that it is incumbent to support getting multihulls into the collegiate sailing scene.

The World Health Organization has a huge database for its BMI calculator. The 130-140 kg range is easily within the "normal" range for a mixed team.

As far as discussion as to which boat? It was pure speculation based on the above parameters. Frankly, I believe some emphatically interjected that Hobie was NOT interested in submitting the H16 w/spin.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by macca
Don't you mean Carolijn?

And Bundy, Greg, Brett, Randy, Jill, Obama, Hillary, Scooby-Do, Daffney, Gilligan, and the Skipper. It's all a conspiracy Macca and we talked solely about you.....Not!

It was a very professional MHC meeting coordinated by Mike Levesque with very little notice. The "after meeting" was strictly a coffee clutch and sharing opinions, ideas, and challenges.
Posted By: macca

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:20 PM

How dare you bring Scooby-Do into this!!!

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
Originally Posted by macca
Don't you mean Carolijn?

And Bundy, Greg, Brett, Randy, Jill, Obama, Hillary, Scooby-Do, Daffney, Gilligan, and the Skipper. It's all a conspiracy Macca and we talked solely about you.....Not!

It was a very professional MHC meeting coordinated by Mike Levesque with very little notice. The "after meeting" was strictly a coffee clutch and sharing opinions, ideas, and challenges.

When will the minutes be published?

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
When will the minutes be published?

I think it would be more diplomatic to write Mike directly. It is a volunteer's job. He just stepped into the role last fall and you are witness to the other issues that he has been working on. No need to publicly flog, yes?

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:42 PM

"It was a very professional MHC meeting coordinated by Mike Levesque with very little notice. "

who's flogging? If you can get out front, reporting to membership in a timely fashion, it shows strong leadership.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 01:54 PM

And wouldn't it be more appropriate to approach the volunteer privately and help him with that statement? Do have to be so gruff on a public forum of peers regarding a volunteer?

I think someone said it best: the forum Pete is totally different from the on-the-beach Pete.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 02:14 PM

I haven't been gruff. You guys assume everything I post is critical.

If I approach Mike as an individual, I'd come across as arrogant. Why would he feel inclined to answer to a single individual, especially in his volunteer capacity? Where would he find the time?

On the other hand, publishing minutes of a meeting or a brief synopsis shows a willingness to build concensus.

We've heard very little from MHC in the past and it has had little support from members at large. If you're making a new start why not reach out and try to build popular support?

I support MHC. Hopefully, others will come forward and voice their support.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 03:02 PM

Either way he will have to find time to respond to you.

I treat the forum as a global beach of friends. Would you bark "When will the minutes be published?" or would you walk over, extend your hand, and say "Hey, I'm really a supporter of getting this right and believe publishing the minutes sooner will show strong leadership" Certainly would be more diplomatic and dignified.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 03:05 PM

I didn't bark, that's your characterization.

In the way of friendly response, you were there you could provide a brief synopsis.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 04:06 PM

Would you bark "When will the minutes be published?" or would you walk over, extend your hand, and say "Hey, I'm really a supporter of getting this right and believe publishing the minutes sooner will show strong leadership" Certainly would be more diplomatic and dignified.

I chuckle ever time I read that post. Seriously who talks like that? I never saw you call Schneider on his tone... I call shenanigans!
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 04:11 PM

I never saw you call Schneider on his tone

TONE.... I don't do tone....

I am really really sensitive to the normal... "Happy Talk" that sailors engage in....

I wrote them damn report... I will check again and see where it is stuck.

Mark

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 04:16 PM

Come'on....do not perpetuate "Ugly American" behavior. It is more so who Pete was beating on.

I give Mark a fair amount of grief also but I leave Todd to really make a statement grin!

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 04:20 PM

Growling to beating. Imagine that from a simple question.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 06:11 PM

LOL...and now the martyr? wink

Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 06:21 PM

What I want to know is, was it anyone that will actually be part of the selection committee for the new Olympic catamaran?

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG

It is more like paraphrasing. Other items included that it will absolutely be a mixed team for 2016 (some think one & done - moving on to separate male & female events in 2020). I got a sense that the target weight dictated a younger team, 25-30 something for the US before middle age weight onset and that it is incumbent to support getting multihulls into the collegiate sailing scene.

The World Health Organization has a huge database for its BMI calculator. The 130-140 kg range is easily within the "normal" range for a mixed team.

As far as discussion as to which boat? It was pure speculation based on the above parameters. Frankly, I believe some emphatically interjected that Hobie was NOT interested in submitting the H16 w/spin.

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 06:33 PM

LOL...and now the martyr? wink

Hardly. I just have no problem saying things in the open.

USS wants to be a tightly controlled autocracy to the point of squelching any public discussion. Why not just admit it and move on? Or ignore it and move on.

Noone cares! You had 200 responses to a survey out of a total population of 40,000 USS members. That's 1/2 of 1%. There is no multihull community outside USS to serve. I had thought MHC might try to turn that around but apparently not.

Enjoy!
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 07:05 PM

Pete,

The US Sailing Meeting was a very pleasent affair ... Mike/Brucat did a outstanding job of organizing the MHC meeting w/ basically minimal or no time ... but most importantly was the fact that "people w/ authority and influence" SEARCHED us out, making time in their very busy schedules and ASKING to meet w/ us. Ms Dina Kowalshyn was actually waiting outside of the MHC meeting waiting for/on us as we exited. Ms Dina is on the Olympic Boat Selection Committee, is a Naval Architect/Enginneer, she was frank, direct and freely answered all question asked of her. It was a very pleasant "adhoc" meeting in the Loews Hotels Dining Room ... and very informative.

Now this process is just not about the United Stated, but the whole bigger world too. This is a negotiation involving alot of different groups worldwide ... and sometimes you have to believe that your representatives have your interests in mind and will TRY to negotiate the best deal they can ...

Pete, I'm half Scotch-Irish ... half German ... this means I'm Celtic and am all HARD HEADED ... so if I'm suggesting you should maybe tone it down aliitle (and maybe switch to De-Caf) ... please keep that in mind. I would recommend that you carefully re-read your last post ... (and what percentage do you think Multihulls represent out of ALL the sailboats there are ....)

Harry Murphey

Re: New crew weight limit for Olympic cat? - 03/02/12 07:20 PM

I don't see enough catamarans to worry about. The very few cat sailors who are passionate about the sport will continue, they will be few in number.

You had a nice meeting? Wonderful! What's so hard about saying that?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums