Catsailor.com

L foils at AHPC

Posted By: F-18 5150

L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 07:49 PM

Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 07:50 PM

AHPC (Australian High Performance Catamarans) Only testing at this stage, but they will be able to be retrofitted to ANY VIPER or C2..... But remember, they are not class legal in either case, so you could only use them if you want to have a blast!!!
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 08:12 PM

Not class legal...
Begging the question... What class are you talking about?

F16
Viper
Open

(I was guessing that they would have a curved foil with a centerboard trunk replacement upgrade for the trials)
Posted By: BoK

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 08:18 PM

Who cares! I have first hand reports of > 25kts Looks fun!
Posted By: Lost in Translation

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 08:32 PM

They have to be inserted from the bottom of the hull? Would be nice for long distance racing.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lost in Translation
They have to be inserted from the bottom of the hull? Would be nice for long distance racing.

Until they are covered in seagrass then not so much.
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 08:58 PM

Why L foils. Wouldn't T foils be easier and smarter? If they create that much lift what keeps the board from rising in the trunk?
Posted By: samc99us

Re: L foils at AHPC - 02/29/12 10:18 PM

Thoughts on why T-foils easier and smarter?

From my view, T-foils have the added advantage of less torsional loads on the support board and junction between the T/L and the straight board. That problem is solved with the right layup on an L board at the same/less weight. Advantage of the L is it at least doesn't stick outboard of the boat so you aren't going to whack your shim dragging the boat up the beach or get caught on a line rounding a mark b/c you forget they were there. Also, L's are perhaps likely to be accepted by existing classes, as you stay within the class width rules?

Nice for distance racing, perhaps you mean races that don't involve beach hopping/launching/landing? Those would break in a New York minute launching through surf and unable to fully retract them...at least launching off my beach.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums