Catsailor.com

Tacking angle

Posted By: pgp

Tacking angle - 03/25/12 08:18 PM

I had a college sailor out on the boat and almost the first thing she asked me was, "what is the tacking angle?" Of course I didn't have a clue and said so.

So what is the tacking angle on F16/F18s? 110? 105? Or any cat for that matter...
Posted By: Nacra5.8NA1386

Re: Tacking angle - 03/25/12 10:25 PM

I've heard 70 degrees for A-Cats.
http://www.harken.com/OneDesign/AClass_Cat.php
Not sure about F16/18s.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Tacking angle - 03/25/12 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nacra5.8NA1386
I've heard 70 degrees for A-Cats.
http://www.harken.com/OneDesign/AClass_Cat.php
Not sure about F16/18s.

It's probably closer to 80-90 degrees for most of us. Tacking angle isn't everything though and is hard to compare to monohull world. Speed is king on cats and although we can sail just as high (or higher) than any other monohull while still going faster, we can get to the top of the course more quickly sitting in the 80 to 90 degree range. Speed through the water increases dramatically as we crack off of the wind.

Talk of tacking angle also ignores the effect of speed - apparent wind angle. Because we move faster, our apparent wind angles are much higher and our sails/mast/tuning are tailored to handle this high apparent wind angle. This is ultimately the limit of getting to the top of the course in short order.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Tacking angle - 03/25/12 11:29 PM

The wind chicken on my old hobie 18 set to 90 seemed to be close.
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Tacking angle - 03/25/12 11:45 PM

A rule of thumb for most sailboats is that they tack through 90 degrees. For any given sailboat many different influences affect the actual tacking angle. Some are: water condition - smooth is higher, rough is lower; wind speed - very light is lower, medium is higher, heavy is lower; displacement - heavy is lower, lighter is higher, sail shape - fuller is lower, flatter is higher; boat surfaces - rough is lower smooth is higher; keel or daggerboard length - longer is higher, shorter is lower; cat rigged (main only) is higher, sloop is lower; etc. So using those general guides you can see why the A cat is probably the highest pointing cat design as it incorporates the most influences that give it that advantage. Also you can understand why an F-16 single handed with main only points higher than the same boat with jib and crew. Now go back and tell the college sailor that, upon further review, you have an answer for them.
Posted By: Andinista

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 02:16 PM

Get an iphone and a waterproof case. Get iRegatta app and sail to all directions so you register your polar for the current wind speed. If you want to know your optimum tacking angle, look at the VMG polar.
It works if wind direction and speed are fairly constant, which is probably not so common though...

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 02:18 PM

90° is pretty optimistic for cats in my opinion. (Or I'm doing something wrong...)
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Andinista
Get an iphone and a waterproof case. Get iRegatta app and sail to all directions so you register your polar for the current wind speed. If you want to know your optimum tacking angle, look at the VMG polar.
It works if wind direction and speed are fairly constant, which is probably not so common though...

Cool app. Pair it with with some Bluetooth waterproof headphones and you've got yourself a fun little training app.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 02:57 PM

And this matters...why? Can we measure it on the water? ie, do we say, "Well, we are only at 87 degrees, we'll have to wait another 3 degrees to tack..."

No, we don't. We tack when we think we can make it, and I have no idea exactly what angle that is. When it looks right, I tack. That's why the guys with the most experience do it better than the newbs, they know what looks right.

It's all well and good on a chalkboard, as this college sailor is probably used to being shown, but in reality, who cares exactly what the angle is?

We don't cary enough electronics (like the AC guys do) to make it a worth while number to know, or measure or present that info to us, on board, so what's the point? When it looks good, tack. If it didn't work, tack again.
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 03:37 PM

The biggest use for me of knowing the "tacking angle" is when I race in a Pt-to-Pt race ("distance") and am using a compass. This knowledge allows me to quickly calculate which tack (port or starb) is the "favored" tack. Also it is useful to determine if you have a "tide set" effecting your progress

I find that I my tacking angles are between 90*-100* aproximently .... sometimes 110* if I was pounding through some serious wave conditions ... or against a tide. On "flat" water in a steady medium breeze I would sometimes approach 75*-80* ....

But usually I have found you need to be working w/ a compass in order to make use of "tacking angle" knowledge ... and on a catamaran on a short "buoy" type course you don't have the time ... or a compass. (I'm a POOR traditionalist ... no fancy computerized "aids"... no "apps" ... just a hand bearing compass, a stop watch, my eyes ... and my brain/mind for calculations)

Harry Murphey
H18Mag/P19MX
Posted By: brucat

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 04:00 PM

Everyboby hold up a second. Why is no one calling Pete out for being a week early for April Fools? College chick on his boat... RIIIIIGHT...

Mike

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
And this matters...why? ...

Because it's what monohull sailors use to compare their boat to others. At 3 knots, 0.5 degrees higher is a big deal.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:14 PM

Why? Because I'm training them (a guy and a girl) that the forward position is the skill position on an F16. They have to pull all the strings, call the lay lines, pick shifts and tactics; as well as run the clock. I figure if I'm buying lunch I oughta get my money's worth.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Timbo
And this matters...why? ...

Because it's what monohull sailors use to compare their boat to others. At 3 knots, 0.5 degrees higher is a big deal.

Crap, Jake. Got Soda in my nose again thanks to that... man it burns..

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:20 PM

Just take her out on a windy/wavy day. After you pass the first powerboat, she will forget all about that nonsense...

Mike

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:24 PM

I haven't forgotten how dismal my racing history is! I was hoping to learn from these people. She thinks tacking angle is important, I'm going to find out why.

But... I'm beginning to suspect no one knows!

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:37 PM

Tacking angle is good for judging course laylines and some strategy.. Shorter time on the course usually keeps you ahead of competition (unless you're pinching, which is slow death) if all else is the same.

Let her drive and she'll figure out that tacking angle isn't nearly as important as tacking speed
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
I haven't forgotten how dismal my racing history is! I was hoping to learn from these people. She thinks tacking angle is important, I'm going to find out why.

But... I'm beginning to suspect no one knows!

Jake told you why.

Sounds like she's a pokey boat sailor, and is thinking like one in reference to multis. Different thought process.
It's just a huge variable on multihulls that use apparent wind. The faster you go the less the angles are.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 05:42 PM

Slight variation in subject: can you sail your A cat at 70 degrees(without pinching)?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Slight variation in subject: can you sail your A cat at 70 degrees(without pinching)?

I've never kept track of it ( just now getting a tack tick set-up on the A) and I'd be guessing if I gave you an answer. I'm sure there are plenty who could tell you. Bob Hodges and Bob Curry ( as well as others) have done alot of documenting and tuning with GPS and could probably give you an educated answer.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 07:20 PM

I'll bet those two know right down to the minute!
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 07:31 PM

NOPE ...

... to the SECOND !!!!!

( ... and that's why you and me are in the middle of the fleet .... and they are at the front !!!)

Harry
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 07:52 PM

Tacking and gybing angles are important on any boat that you race on. How else are you going to call your layline to the top or bottom marks?

What makes them more difficult for cats vs monos, is that they are more speed dependent. Most mono's have pretty consistent angles because of their speeds relative to wind strength are not as drastic (excluding sport boats).

Most cats have dramatically different tacking and gybing angles based on their wind speeds. I've seen anywhere from 80 to 110 degree tacking angles on the same cat. 80 in flat water fully trapped conditions, and 110 in light air or lumpy conditions.

You crew is just asking what the relative tacking angles are so she can get her head out of the boat focus and on "climbing the ladder" up and down the course.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 07:53 PM

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

I would have guessed 45-50 degrees would be ideal upwind, and 125-160 down? But that's a sloop/spin boat with a decent breeze and flat water..

It's all in the telltales...
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 08:34 PM

Racing cats isn't the 'rocket science' that racing slow boats is.

Just go as fast as you can, as long as you can, then tack! (or gybe)

In Rick's excellent book, Catamaran Racing for the 90's, Randy Smyth wrote, "Speed isn't everything, it's the only thing!"

I'd much rather overstand A mark a bit and come in hot, than undershoot it a little and pinch all the way up to it, or worse yet, have to do two more tacks if I come up short.

But on a 24-30 foot monohull, you're only going 5-8 knots upwind (depending on your boat type) and if you've overstood, cracking off 10 degrees isn't going to give you the huge speed increase that it does on a cat. So, yeah, they care about tacking angles and need to get it right, a lot more than we do.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 08:46 PM

My first goal is to open communications with someone half my age. She asked a question, I'm going to find an answer.

The tacking angle is really just the edge of the bigger picture. I do pretty well just looking over my shoulder to determine when to tack. On the other hand detecting shifts and currents and allowing for each requires a little more finesse (that I don't really have). Maybe she does. But, one step at a time...
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 09:01 PM

Because you won't know where your frickin' boat will be pointing after you tack!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too many hippies in here "Just shut your eyes and let the boat flow maaaaaaan!"

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by pgp

I would have guessed 45-50 degrees would be ideal upwind, and 125-160 down? But that's a sloop/spin boat with a decent breeze and flat water..

It's all in the telltales...

I think we mean the angle between one tack and the next, not the agle between irons and current direction.
Translating your numbers it would be 90-100 for tacking and 40-110 for gybing. (right?)

I think it's not about the telltales. You follow the telltales, true, but first you choose how high you want to go and set the sails for that, I think that's what we are talking about.

For the few measurements with iRegatta I've done, it seems that VMG (towards wind direction) changes little if I open the tacking angle a bit (say up to 10 degrees). Speed increase almost equals the effect of lower angle. And beyond that yo may go faster (though not a lot more) but slower towards wind direction. As said before, it changes with wind speed and conditions. It's cool to measure it, if you don't get crazy about it anyway.. Just set the wind direction and speed and forget about it, let the software capture the data. You can watch your speed every once in a while too and that's it. Then you download the readings and have fun again in front of your computer (in the office maybe..)

Re: Tacking angle - 03/26/12 09:52 PM

Not about the telltales? I won the New England 100 one year, following nothing but the telltales (of course, that was primarily a reaching race, on a year that the wind angle made it tough to fly a spinnaker).

Of course, that's on a Hobie 16, the jib telltales are everything (Doug Baker taught me this). Upwind, I rarely look at the Windex, unless it's blowing over 15 knots; at which point, I can't get the windward jib telltale to fly unless I pinch to the point that we nearly stop. In light to moderate breeze, I just sheet in and steer to the jib telltales. I can actually point higher this way in lighter, flatter water than I ever could just by watching the Windex.

Mike

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 01:35 AM

You just sheet in and steer to the jib tell tales. Right. But first you decide how much you sheet in an how you setup your jib blocks if adjustable. That's where you decide how high you will point, telltales come later.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 11:21 AM

You can also see see your tracks to figure out your tacking angle:

[Linked Image]

Attached picture track1.JPG

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 11:34 AM

I've been using a Garmin Foretrex, but it is such a pita to upload!

For that and other reasons I've ordered a Speed puck.
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 12:03 PM

One can also check polars (although there do not appear to be many good sources) to get a rough idea of usable tacking angle and the tradeoff of pinching and VMG, etc. A few links/articles include:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10337&start=0

Page 7 of the PDF here: http://www.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/ihca/downloads/hobieu/HobieU.pdf

and here (a theoretical comparison): http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/westnet/_lpm/hobie/archives/v1-i3/feature3.htm

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 01:15 PM

From the hobie pdf page 7 above, the best tacking and gybing angles for that polar would be 100° and 100°. (points at 50° and 130° on the plot).

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 07:19 PM

None of them show tacking angles less than 90degrees so I'm a little skeptical of those claims to contrary.

Anyone have an explanation?

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 07:32 PM

the faster you go, the sharper the angle of your apparent wind becomes. You can point higher, but you go slower.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 07:46 PM

Yes, but I'm not seeing where that will yield tacking angles of 70 or 80 degrees unless it's a measure of apparent wind.

The tacking angles cited above are for true wind not apparent.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 08:15 PM

From the hobie pdf page 7 above, the best tacking and gybing angles for that polar would be 100° and 100°. (points at 50° and 130° on the plot).

Those polars show straight-line speed, not VMG. Depending on the conditions, it may very well be better to sail higher/deeper to get around the course faster.

On a Hobie 16, I have seen that when the wind shuts down, and the race isn't abandoned, the best course downwind is as straight to the mark as you can go without gybing.

Mike

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by brucat

Those polars show straight-line speed, not VMG. Depending on the conditions, it may very well be better to sail higher/deeper to get around the course faster.

On a Hobie 16, I have seen that when the wind shuts down, and the race isn't abandoned, the best course downwind is as straight to the mark as you can go without gybing.

Mike

And they're also only for 10 knots (I think it was 10) of boat speed. As the wind speed changes, the polars change for each boat.

Re: Tacking angle - 03/27/12 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by brucat

VMG is just the projection to the vertical axis on these plots. So the optimum angles are simply the upper and lowermost points .

They are only valid for a given wind speed, agree on that. I bet they change with water conditions too.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums