Catsailor.com

Tramp slugs on I-20

Posted By: AzCat

Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 02:27 AM

I have a side lace tramp on my I20 . I used the tramp slugs recomended by Performance (from Murrays), as soon as I stepped on the tramp, about 8 of them pulled out of the slot. I thought maybe if I bent the wires at about a 20*angle downward it might help.When the tramp is installed it pulls downward on the slugs, and the slugs are pointed upward at about 10*. I think that the combined pressure of all of the slugs wedging the slot open is the problem. Anyone had to do this or had the same problem? Better way?. Suggestions?

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 02:29 AM

Also, Has anyone routed out the bolt rope groove larger and used a larger bolt rope?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 12:43 PM

azcat,

the slugs that murray's sells are too small. I made the same mistake of buying them and realizing that they're too small.

You don't want to use those hard slugs anyways. I've been told that they'll end up enlarging the slot over time and ultimately ruining the rail.

Here's what I use. If you call Nacra directly, they'll know what you want if you describe it properly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 01:38 PM

Slugs made by Elliot Patterson work well. The rails shown above are superior to the slugs, I think EP can make those as well.

The time consuming option is to fill your rails with thickened epoxy and put the screws in like the factory did on new boats, but the 2 option above work just fine!

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 03:08 PM

The tabs/soft slugs on the rope that EP sell will also work excellent if you take the time to sand the edge of hull slot so it's not like a razor.Otherwise they cut through in no time. That worked on my boat and has held up through plenty of miles. You probably should do the sanding no matter what option you choose,it should've been done at the factory.

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 03:29 PM

Thanks guys, Ill get hold of EP and see what they can do. Slugs go back to murrays.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 06:01 PM

If that doesn't work, try salt grin

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/06/12 08:31 PM

Ahhh yes.
Posted By: Chris9

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/07/12 02:16 AM

I had my local awning maker make up over 200 of them, because my local fleet wanted them. With a "I’ll take 30. I’ll take 60…” and I paid for them in advance. Only one of my local fleet guys has paid for their 30. For you including shipping, $1.25/ea... for them $5 each delivered to the beach...IJS. I need to sand down the edge Todd mentioned...
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/07/12 01:46 PM

You need to get the Aquabatten A018S Slug

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/09/12 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chris9
I had my local awning maker make up over 200 of them, because my local fleet wanted them. With a "I’ll take 30. I’ll take 60…” and I paid for them in advance. Only one of my local fleet guys has paid for their 30. For you including shipping, $1.25/ea... for them $5 each delivered to the beach...IJS. I need to sand down the edge Todd mentioned...

Do you have a pic of what your talking a out? I just ordered a set of the opt ropes from EP, $30. If they don't pan out, I'll definaty need another option. Skip seemed pretty confident that they would work. Send me a pm so I have your info. Thanks

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/09/12 04:46 AM

[quote=Ventucky Red]You need to get the Aquabatten A018S Slug

[/quot

I tried these, worked for exactly 1 second.

Anyone out there have a set of tiller tendon and end cap?

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/09/12 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by azcat
Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
You need to get the Aquabatten A018S Slug

I tried these, worked for exactly 1 second.

Anyone out there have a set of tiller tendon and end cap?

There are two different sizes, there are AO17S which a 3/8" which are the ones that Murray's sells and there are the AO18S which are 1/2" the ones that I recommended here! BIG DIFFERENCE!

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/10/12 03:31 AM

I have boltropes coming, if they dont work, i know what to get, Thanks.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/10/12 04:42 AM

Brett, the loops on the tramp may not match up with the straps you get from EP. I had that tramp modified by Tony Morrelli in Ventura and used it with the slugs that John posted the link for. They worked great. They take a little persuading to get in the track but they hold my fat butt without pulling out.

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/13/12 02:47 PM

Yea, I'm out here in sandiego, Brad Smith an I are doing Cat Fight if the winds chill from the 32 that windfinder is calling for. Took a look at his. Oat yesterday and he has the ones that you are referring to. The loops on the. Boltrope that EP is sending may also be too long to use with my tramp. Maybe I'll go ahead and order those solid slugs from Murray's. I don't want to. E put out another week. Time to get this I on the water.

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/14/12 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by azcat
Yea, I'm out here in sandiego, Brad Smith an I are doing Cat Fight if the winds chill from the 32 that windfinder is calling for. Took a look at his. Oat yesterday and he has the ones that you are referring to. The loops on the. Boltrope that EP is sending may also be too long to use with my tramp. Maybe I'll go ahead and order those solid slugs from Murray's. I don't want to. E put out another week. Time to get this I on the water.

I don't think Murray's sells them!
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/15/12 10:54 PM

I tried both slugs on my 20 and neither worked.
It varies from track to track.
Murrays should sell them, they have an account with my work and we own and distribute aquabatten.
If they don't they can get them. Or Rick bliss at new england catamarans can, that's where I got mine from.

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/16/12 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail
I tried both slugs on my 20 and neither worked.
It varies from track to track.
Murrays should sell them, they have an account with my work and we own and distribute aquabatten.
If they don't they can get them. Or Rick bliss at new england catamarans can, that's where I got mine from.

Murray's does not stock the A018S 1/2" slug..they stock the A017S 3/8" slug. They can order them for you.

Posted By: Keith

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/17/12 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chris9

Did I order some from you? Gettin' old, can't remember. I'll pay, I'll pay...

Posted By: Chris9

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 04/18/12 11:56 AM

You did...you are...you didn't... When and where? I'm not going to make next Tuesdays race start, probably not the next either with this LAX coaching gig...

Should I put them behind the third tree to the left at the 424/50 park-and-ride? I'll be at the So. River HS turf field tonight from 6 to say 7:45...
Posted By: timtower

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 07/30/12 11:34 PM

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but do the slugs actually enlarge the slot over time? Has this actually happened to anyone?

Tim
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 07/31/12 12:32 PM

Yes they do.

I've tried all manner of trying to fix the slot system on my N20. The solid webbing strap that goes the whole length of the slot with fiberglass rod backing was the best system, but it even gave up the ghost over time. It would fray at each end.

So I said screw it, and filled in the slot on each hull with resin and filler, then drilled my own screw buttons and laced the tramp to it like all the new boats come with.

I was sick of dealing with having to relace my tramp every 6 months.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 07/31/12 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided

That's why I got married. grin
Posted By: bacho

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 07/31/12 03:39 PM

Yes they do.

I've tried all manner of trying to fix the slot system on my N20. The solid webbing strap that goes the whole length of the slot with fiberglass rod backing was the best system, but it even gave up the ghost over time.

Mine has lasted me a year, and I would suspect at least a few years before I bought the boat. Sun damage is the only thing that has affected mine.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 07/31/12 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2

That's why I got married. grin

Someone's had their coffee today. Good one.
Posted By: timtower

Re: Tramp slugs on I-20 - 07/31/12 05:50 PM

Okay, thanks guys, I guess I'll go with the webbing system. Sounds like I need to do a bit of sanding then?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums