Catsailor.com

Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel?

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 04/28/12 11:48 PM

Check it out:

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe/2012/speeddream_SA_update.pdf
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 04/29/12 01:17 AM

I just kinda skimmed over it, (I'm driving), but I've said it before, a few thousand years of man harnessing the wind, and we're just figuring it out.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 04/29/12 08:53 AM

Just think what happens when you broach with a keel hanging at 80 degrees, cant be good.
Posted By: Capt_Cardiac

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 04/29/12 12:24 PM

isn't that essentially a catamaran? call it an ama if you like but it sure does sound like a cat to me(odd looking cat).
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 04/30/12 11:30 PM

It more accurately could be described as a sliding seat canoe on steroids. The article does reference catamarans and makes the case that this is better because it eiminates the hydro and aero dynamic drags of the other hull. They missed a couple of obvious speed enhancing features - a canting rig and a wing. I think it is interesting how they conveniently left out how they were only copying existing catamaran hull design after gushing about all the go fast features of the hull. However, if it needs to be represented as their original ideas to get the funds to build and sail this thing then that is fine. I am eager to see the results.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 05/01/12 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
It more accurately could be described as a sliding seat canoe on steroids. The article does reference catamarans and makes the case that this is better because it eiminates the hydro and aero dynamic drags of the other hull. They missed a couple of obvious speed enhancing features - a canting rig and a wing. I think it is interesting how they conveniently left out how they were only copying existing catamaran hull design after gushing about all the go fast features of the hull. However, if it needs to be represented as their original ideas to get the funds to build and sail this thing then that is fine. I am eager to see the results.

They also missed the fact that a catamaran doesn't have to carry around a chunk of lead....hull width to length ratio is incredibly less, prismatic coefficient, etc.
Posted By: Freestyle

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 05/01/12 11:00 PM

Yeah its weight just for the sake of weight....the flying hull serves more than one purpose. Not to mention how heavy would the mechanism be that manipulates that chunk of lead....
Posted By: alsail

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 05/02/12 05:12 AM

Yup they'll figure out how to make a propellar plane out run a jet,,, just you wait and see ! ! ! ! !! !
Probably heavyer than the chunk of lead....
Posted By: alsail

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 05/02/12 05:15 AM

so what happens when they get the chunk of lead stuck to one side do they stay on that tack and go in circles or ,or, or,
Posted By: Jake

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 05/02/12 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by alsail
so what happens when they get the chunk of lead stuck to one side do they stay on that tack and go in circles or ,or, or,

hope for a wind shift.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: Awesome design, on a mono no less, 80 degree canting keel? - 05/03/12 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Capt_Cardiac
isn't that essentially a catamaran? call it an ama if you like but it sure does sound like a cat to me(odd looking cat).

There's an article on Sailing Anarchy archives where they demonstrate that the final stage of development of a canting keel monohull is a proa. Seach for "proa" in SA.

This boat is almost there: cant 10 degrees more (to 90 deg) and add enough flotation for the bulb to have neutral flotation and it becomes a proa.

We have discussed here that monohulls are following an evolutionary path towards multihulls. This boat is a good example. Add floats to the racks of a 49er or Moth and you have another.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums