Catsailor.com

Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks?

Posted By: pgp

Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/02/12 10:14 AM

Anyone?
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/02/12 01:40 PM

Yep, Not recommended. One of the worst sailing lakes that exists. In a valley. Bunch of idiots on monster motor boats. Bad waves and chop from boat traffic.

Posted By: pgp

Re: Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/02/12 01:44 PM

Too bad.

A friend was telling me about a monster reservoir, maybe part of the TVA, with 1,000 mile shore line (or some such number). Anyone know of such a place? Is it any good for sailing?
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/02/12 02:02 PM

It's been many years since I've been there but Kentucky Lake is big and has alot of shoreline and not in a valley.
Posted By: Will_R

Re: Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/03/12 12:55 AM

Sailed Lake of the Ozarks a couple of times.... save your time (see what Mike said).

I grew up on KY Lake and dad still owns the largest boat yard in the area. GREAT sailing lake. No real beaches to speak of, so you're SOL there. Not sure how active it is, but look up the Ky Lake Sailing Club.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/03/12 02:08 AM

Not really close by, but similar distance and direction from you, Carlyle Lake, IL (Mike's home club) has good sailing and a strong cat fleet.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Anyone ever sailed Lake of the Ozarks? - 05/08/12 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Will_R
Sailed Lake of the Ozarks a couple of times.... save your time (see what Mike said).

I grew up on KY Lake and dad still owns the largest boat yard in the area. GREAT sailing lake. No real beaches to speak of, so you're SOL there. Not sure how active it is, but look up the Ky Lake Sailing Club.
I grew up water-skiing the headwaters of Lake of the Ozarks. Lake was dammed in the '30's and is the closest retreat for St. Louis & Kansas City boaters. It's not deep in the Ozark Mountains but close enough for some large bluffs and steep hills. The lake is 98 miles long and no more than 3/4 mile at its' widest point. Only successful sailing is a 40' leaner with an inboard, cabin air/genie and a bimini top. I've owned sailboats since '82 and never bothered. Over the years business owners have turned the lake into a weekend entertainment mecca. Some of the fastest offshore racing boats in the world are at the Ozarks...no wind, flat water. You need, at least, a 28' boat to "survive" on the weekend from the dam to MM25. Great party destination.

Wife and I stopped in Paducah, KY last Sunday/Monday on the way back from Merlefest(and selling the P15...sniff, sniff). Kentucky Lake, Lake Barklay, and the Land Between the Lakes are on our to do list...with a sailboat!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums