Catsailor.com

Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 05/23/12 05:35 PM

The Duck Cup is happening on June 9 & 10 NOR is here ,contact info on the NOR.

Duck Cup NOR

2 days at $10 bucks a day, which includes some awesome beergaritas and subs. Yard camping available.Incredible grass rigging area.You can't beat that.So what are you waiting for?

Last year I won the Duck Cup, which one of you is going to try and take it?
My fondness for beergaritas should make that an easy task. We'll see.
Posted By: Dan Berger

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 05/24/12 02:53 PM

Yeah, but you won it on a cheater boat--an A cat with a great number!

Wait--I hear a sh!t storm brewing...

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 05/25/12 12:16 AM

What's the number on that stubby barge of a Supercat15 you sail? We may need to have Jon do a pre-race review of this seldom sailed boat, to get a current fair number, cuz everyone knows there's never been a fairly rated supercat. shocked
Won't matter, you'll probably chip a nail and bail anyway.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 05/25/12 02:23 PM

74.7 Suck it!

...And that was a serious chip last year! At least I showed up for the party!
Posted By: GS01

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 05/29/12 04:15 PM

You may be forgetting this bit.

Other

Any other deviations from standard class configurations, including the addition of wings, can be assessed a penalty of at least 0.995. Multiple deviations may incur multiple penalties. Penalties may be greater than 0.995. Please identify any such modifications and penalties assigned and include with results reported to the handicap committee and Portsmouth Numbers Committee.

If you are drinking while you are sailing I might have a chance. Otherwise its a 10hr round trip drive for a daysailing trip in the Currituck sound.
-thomas
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 05/29/12 05:26 PM

I crewed with Loyd on his Tiger last year and had a great time. Looks like I'll be come back this year on my boat, won't be a threat to take the cup from you Todd. Looking forward to it!
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/01/12 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

If your head fits through the door and you make it to Duck, I predict a 2nd or 3rd from you this year. Mr. Lennard probably wants his trophy back.

See you in Duck.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/06/12 02:41 PM

Forecast is looking good for the weekend:

Temps in the low 80s, winds 8-15.

Word is this will be the Tawd's last race before he retires from competitive sailing to pursue his passion for knitting.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/06/12 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by dbncsu
Forecast is looking good for the weekend:

Temps in the low 80s, winds 8-15.

Word is this will be the Tawd's last race before he retires from competitive sailing to pursue his passion for knitting.

My first knitting project will be a huge bag to hold all of your smack talking BS.
I Rum bet you get beat by one of those uglyass Supercat 15s.I at least know you'll pay your debts, not like some of your friends.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/06/12 09:45 PM

If your head fits through the door and you make it to Duck, I predict a 2nd or 3rd from you this year. Mr. Lennard probably wants his trophy back.

See you in Duck.

It was the only way to get a response, and it worked. Is David coming? I know Mike isn't.
p.s. I predict worse. Shaking the bugs out of a new (to me) boat, that I think has a permanent black cloud over it.We'll see.

p.s.s. What door is there at Duck Cup?

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/07/12 03:58 PM

Looks like you won't be able to admire any SC15s this weekend, they won't be there.

There is a very bright green boat on it's way.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/07/12 04:08 PM

When are people getting there? We are heading out really early tomorrow to hopefully get a sail in by late afternoon

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/07/12 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Berger
Looks like you won't be able to admire any SC15s this weekend, they won't be there.

And Todd's first loss of the weekend is a bottle of rum. Don't worry, I'll share.

I have to work Friday evening so I will be driving in Saturday morning.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/07/12 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Berger

And Todd's first loss of the weekend is a bottle of rum. Don't worry, I'll share.

I have to work Friday evening so I will be driving in Saturday morning.

It'll be worth it to see you tanked.
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/07/12 10:40 PM

Todd,

I wish I could come to the "Duck" Cup ... maybe next year ... (I need better finances ...) and I'm busy working on this JO Festival/HCA-NA JR North Americans @ AYC.

So, Sail Fast ...

Sail Flat ...

and have a really good time ....

... and drink lots of beverages and toast the sunset for me ...

Rum and Pineapple ???

Harry

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/07/12 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by HMurphey
Todd,

I wish I could come to the "Duck" Cup ... maybe next year ... (I need better finances ...) and I'm busy working on this JO Festival/HCA-NA JR North Americans @ AYC.

So, Sail Fast ...

Sail Flat ...

and have a really good time ....

... and drink lots of beverages and toast the sunset for me ...

Rum and Pineapple ???

Harry

Harry,
We'll see ya next weekend and might have to drink a rummy or 12.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/08/12 05:36 AM

Todd,

That's GREAT ... can't wait to see ya at RHYC !!!

Are you coming Friday and also doing the "Down the River" Race???

I'll drink ... "Moscow Mules" ... while you drink "Dark and Stormy's" !!!!

Harry

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/08/12 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by HMurphey
Todd,

That's GREAT ... can't wait to see ya at RHYC !!!

Are you coming Friday and also doing the "Down the River" Race???

I'll drink ... "Moscow Mules" ... while you drink "Dark and Stormy's" !!!!

Harry

I'll be there Fri. ,but I think we're doing a test & tune at the club instead of the river race.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/08/12 05:28 PM

Shaking the bugs out of a new (to me) boat, that I think has a permanent black cloud over it.We'll see.

What boat are you bringing, new A Cat?

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/08/12 10:08 PM

Todd,
Before you get busy w/ the "Duck Cup" ...

The $15 "Late Fee" kicks in as of 12:01 AM Sunday Morning ... for the RHYC Annual One-Design Regatta ... I do't think there is any late fee for the "Down the River" ...

Please take a moment and register so you have more $$$ for RUM!!!!!!

Harry
Posted By: pbl

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/10/12 11:43 PM

Any pics/results from the Duck Cup?

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/11/12 01:04 PM

Jon Britt and Charles Thuman won the cup on a Tornado, and finished first elapsed both days. I think corrected went,Jon and Charles-first, Megan and her Dad Bill were second on a H-16 and Lloyd was third on a getaway if I recall correctly ,which is highly unlikely.

Harry, Looks like I won't see you afterall this weekend, Boat, body and RV repairs to do, with a lack of time to do them. Clean out your mailbox.
Posted By: OBXCC

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/12/12 12:51 AM

Duck Cup Story:
The 2012 Duck Cup was an adventure as always. This race has evolved into a 2 day distance race with both days starting and ending at Nor'Banks Sailing which makes for easy logistics. This is a fun and challenging distance race which everyone should try and do once. This year Charles and I were determined to get the Cup back from Todd so we could stop hearing him yap about it. The first days race to the Corolla Lighthouse was a quick jaunt through the Narrows (a narrow channel in the middle of an Audubon Sanctuary with lots of shallow water and grass) up to Whalehead Bay. The narrows are interesting as all the grass islands and warm water makes for some interesting winds. We were able to reach to the narrows and then fly the kite through the narrows in 10 knots of breeze and flat water. Flat water was the theme of Whalehead Bay since this was where the wind died on the fleet. At one point, we looked behind us and saw boats on multiple different tacks. We were getting crushed on corrected time at the lighthouse, but caught the Southerly breeze home and took line honors and 2nd place corrected. One thing that makes this leg interesting is that you can choose to shoot through some of the islands and cut distance off of the course with significant risk of shallow water, old duck blinds, weeds and big snakes. Duck Cup veterans Bill and Megan Shelton took the rhumb line less travelled through the islands and ended up correcting into 1st after Saturday. It had been a long day and Lori's famous beergaritas flowed into the early evening but fortunately not too late into the evening.

We woke up Sunday to a Westerly breeze around 12-15 for the race to the bridge. The RC set an upwind mark across the Sound and we tacked upwind to the mark before turning to reach to the bridge. Reaching was going well until I heard a strange noise and next thing I know I am in the water with a broken trap line. All Charles heard as I dropped under him and he passed over me was a brief "See Ya".
We quickly recovered and the wind gods smiled on us and the wind lightened up and turned Southerly allowing us to cruise home with the kite and take line honors again.

Charles and I ended up correcting into 1st and taking back the Duck Cup on our Tornado. Bill and Megan wound up in 2nd and Lloyd Graves (on a borrowed Getaway frown came in 3rd.

The fleet was comprised of my staff, locals (including the return of Scooter) and visitors with everything from Getaways, H-16's, H-18's, A-Cats, F-16 and Tornado's. Next year we will run 3 classes:
Duck Cup for Low Portsmouth, Duckling Cup for High Portsmouth and the Rubber Ducky (thanks Dan Berger for this idea) for rotomolded (Getaways, Waves and Windriders have all competed in this event in the past).

Put this on your calendar for next year and come experience a challenging, laid back, old school distance race on the OBX. You at least have to come for the beergaritas!!

Jon Britt
OBXCC, Nor'Banks Sailing
Posted By: pbl

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/12/12 01:25 AM

I'm in for next year. Just got the Viper after a 30 year hiatus. Needless to say, the boat is way honkin' faster than me at the moment. Hope to correct that by next year. If nothing else, I'll be a pro with the beergaritas. May be heading your way with boat in tow for a few days in July.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/12/12 05:31 PM

Jon,
Thanks to you and Lori for putting together another great regatta. Congrats to you and Charles for taking the cup back from Todd, although I'm sure he's not done bragging about last year's victory. Duck Cup 2013 is on our calendar.
Posted By: GD_NC

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/14/12 12:56 AM

Jon,

Thanks for the hospitality and putting on a great event. I gotta make both days next year. Congrats on the Win.

Garrett

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/14/12 10:08 PM

Jon,
Thanks to you and Lori for putting together another great regatta. Congrats to you and Charles for taking the cup back from Todd, although I'm sure he's not done bragging about last year's victory. Duck Cup 2013 is on our calendar.

Yeah, Cause I'm such a braggart. Douchebags.

Re: Duck Cup/Outer Banks NC June 9 & 10 - 06/15/12 12:25 AM

It was good to see you too Todd.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums