Catsailor.com

how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger?

Posted By: Canyon Doug

how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/15/12 05:41 AM

Grew up on Hobie 16's and 18's on the beach... Now on a lake in Texas instead of Ft. Lauderdale... Resurrected a Nacra 5.2 and want the side-load system. Anyone have a good recommendation on making them? Looking forward to running this bad-boy... ALways heard they were wickedly fast. Many thanks!
Posted By: yurdle

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/15/12 07:15 AM

Took me a few tries before they were uniform. (the two on the right end were totally different and spent 3 years in the sun before getting the heat shrink)

PVC w/ caps drilled on center, wrap in 1/4" cork, then heat shrink over that. Not the same as the neoprene originals, but looks as good and just as functional.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pgp

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/15/12 10:19 AM

What does it do?
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/15/12 12:38 PM

Assuming your intent is to hold the daggers in an intermediate position. Any reason the little squeegees like used on the Tiger wouldn't work?
Posted By: erice

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/15/12 01:42 PM

correctly sized bits of carpet at the top and bottom of the dagger well also important

just a side-loader bungee isn't usually enough
Posted By: Jake

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/15/12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo
Assuming your intent is to hold the daggers in an intermediate position. Any reason the little squeegees like used on the Tiger wouldn't work?

take some PVC pipe a little longer than the daggerboard is wide. Cover it with pipe insulation. Run a bunji through the PVC and tie each end of the bunji back to the trampoline / deck area (my 5.2 trampoline had grommets for the bunji - I think my 6.0 had eye straps on the inner edge of the deck (or maybe it was viceversa). You put the PVC on the outboard side of the board so it pulls the board inward toward the trampoline and keeps it at whatever position you put it. Most reliable system I've ever had!
Posted By: Canyon Doug

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/16/12 12:29 PM

Thanks very much for everyone's help! Will get busy! - Doug
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: how to make a side-load system for Nacra 5.2 dagger? - 06/18/12 02:53 PM

please post some pics and results smile

thanks
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums