Catsailor.com

Spin Sheet Block Set Up

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 03:25 PM

What is working best spin sheets, putting the Hexaratchet first in-line, which is the fist block closest to the clew of the spinnaker with the hardware that is attached to the hull hardware; or second in line closest to the crew – attached to the beam hardware?

Oh! this is a NACRA F-18

Thanks
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 04:05 PM

I would suspect you'll get the most effect from the block where the spin sheet wraps the most (around the block).

If the first one only wraps 1/4 (90 degrees), and the second wraps a full 1/2 (180 degree), the second would have more "grip"..?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 04:18 PM

Yeah but...is it an auto ratchet or fixed, ie. on-off switch?

The reason I ask is, if it is a fixed on-off type block, and you have it on your beam, sometimes it will snag your lazy sheet on a gybe, which is really slow! Where as, if it's only wrapped 90 degrees, the lazy sheet will slide out much easier and not hang up as much.

If it's an auto ratchet, no worries, as long as you only have one per side.

If you use two auto ratchets, the same thing can happen, ie. the one may stay on and not allow the other to release, which will also mess up your gybe. After many blown gybes, I finally went with a single auto ratchet per side, on the beam, no problems now.

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
After many blown gybes, I finally went with a single auto ratchet per side, on the beam, no problems now.

Yes, but you got that little teensy spin so you don't need holding power...oh, but you are old so ....
Posted By: bacho

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 04:29 PM

I have autos on the beam and selectables on the outside. Seems to work great, I rarely turn the selectables on.

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
After many blown gybes, I finally went with a single auto ratchet per side, on the beam, no problems now.

Yes, but you got that little teensy spin so you don't need holding power...oh, but you are old so ....

It was actually my I20 that I had the double ratchets on, and had all the trouble with the gybes.

You are right, now that I'm old, and have a teensy-tiny spinny, it's a lot more fun, and easier to trim, even in a blow, a single auto ratcht is plenty. After the thunderstorms went by last night, I got out for an hour in the left over breeze, sure is nice only having to haul 230lbs. up the beach alone!

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 06:49 PM

sure is nice only having to haul 230lbs. up the beach alone!

And I'll bet that boat is light too....

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/30/12 10:02 PM

Well...yeah, but hey, it's paid for!

I gotta go eat.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Spin Sheet Block Set Up - 07/31/12 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
sure is nice only having to haul 230lbs. up the beach alone!

And I'll bet that boat is light too....

ZING!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums